Christian Rock?

Although most Christian rock is not performed by Catholics, is it still ok to listen to? And also, does anyone know any Christian rock artists that are Catholic? I’d appreciate some assistance. :slight_smile:

I consider it good to listen to, if you are into that type of music. As long as it is glorifying God, etc. and not denouncing things like the Eucharist (i.e. our Catholic identity) then I do not see what the problem is with Christian rock. I listen to some myself.

As for artists who are Catholic…I only know of one, and that is Matt Maher. There may be others, but I’m not sure.

:slight_smile:

Thank you. :slight_smile:

They’re not Catholic, but Jars of Clay. They are the standard that other Christian artists should strive to meet. Awesome band, awesome music.

Life in your way, MXPX, Dogwood…

Check out tooth and nail records, Facedown records, and Solid State Records.

Just be ready to see that most of the truly unashamed Christian bands are out of the mainstream Christian music biz. Christian Punk and Hardcore are on the decline as well.

Strongarm! Can’t forget Strongarm!

Christian and punk/hardcore are somewhat contradictory to each other, so having such a category for me is strange. They simply don’t mix. People who label themselves as such are only after the money…or fame…or both. Anyhow, as for Christian rock bands, one of the earliest was Stryper. Back then, almost all Evangelical churches blackballed them…

This ostracizing of Stryper was shameful. You CAN be a good Christian, love Jesus and man, and enjoy rock music. Many people who listen to or create melodious music are anything but religious. Look at Barry Manilow. :confused: Rob

Look at the stickies up top in this section on CAF… you should find what you’re looking for!

I’m a big Jars of Clay fan

Oh, but according to this guy, rock music is inherently demonic! Stay away! :stuck_out_tongue:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=335424

I concur. I’m too broke to check out their latest offering, but I know it has to be good.

Christian and punk/hardcore are somewhat contradictory to each other, so having such a category for me is strange. They simply don’t mix. People who label themselves as such are only after the money…or fame…or both. Anyhow, as for Christian rock bands, one of the earliest was Stryper. Back then, almost all Evangelical churches blackballed them

-says the generalizer…

UnderOath is an awesome hardcore Christian band and there ceratinly not “only out for money and fame”, they mey be Prostestant but they’re pretty hardcore about there faith.

Thrice dosn’t label themselves as a Christian band but almost all the members are Christian and the have a subtle yet very Christian inspiration in many of their lyricsthrice.net/

Whoa! Let’s take your same logic and apply it to another avenue in life.

Christianity and Humans are somewhat contradictory to each other, so having such a category for me is strange. They simply don’t mix. People who label themselves as such are only after rewards for living a good life, want to impress others, or both.

Funny how you can say that a genre of music doesn’t mix with Christians. As if God is unable to work through this style of music (hint: limiting God’s power is a foolish and futile move). You have the most narrow-minded viewpoint in the world when it comes to this. I will pray that you change your thinking.

Punk is nihilistic in nature; its lifestyle is totally not in any way compatible to Christianity. One can argue that rock can be more compatible, that being its beginnings were more “humble” than punk’s was. Punk on the other hand began as an out-an-out rebellion towards society, and disregards anything that would speak of conformity. Don’t get me wrong–I like punk. I still listen to it (The Clash, Sex Pistols, and even hardcore like The Dead Kennedys), but to have something as mixing opposites as “Christian punk” is totally mind-boggling to me.

not all punks where leftist A-holes like the Dead Kennedys. Take for innstance, the Ramones, they were somewhat conservative and the Vandals, they’re a conservative band too. But, on the whole, yes most punk rock is leftist, anti-Christian values, etc. But that doesn’t mean people like us can’t change that.

According to Windows Media Player, there’s apparently a genre specifically called “Chirtian Gangsta Rap”. :smiley:

Love The Ramones. Quite conservative, at least from a punk perspective anyway. Still, on the whole punk and Christianity can’t mix. Hhmm…Christian gangsta rap. Funny how people keep inventing and mixing ideologically incompatible things. :smiley:

So Christians can’t rebel? Funny, because with our lifestyle, we’re basically rebelling against society’s acceptable way of living. Odd in that the way you describe it, to truly be punk, a Christian would have to conform their ways to fit in with established artists. That conformity is an oxy-moron, since you imply that punk music is a sort of rebellion.

To say that Christianity is incompatible with the lifestyle of some punk musicians is fine. But it is a genre of music, one that can be used for God’s glory.

If against sin, yes we must rebel. But then punk isn’t just rebellion, but would be closer to anarchy. It refuses to acknowledge any authority; this would make things complicated for those who adhere to this so-called “Christian punk” sub-genre as Christianity adheres to some form of authority or the other. Punk is all about doing your own thing–again, not exactly something that would fit into Christianity. As Christians we cannot simply do our own thing; we adhere, as a common denominator among all Christians, to the Bible. In punk, that would contradict itself. To say one is a “Christian punk” should mean then that one must also embrace the punk culture; I am not sure if that should mean embrace the whole of it, the part of it, or whatever would come to one’s mind, but certainly at some point one would lose the identity of being punk and becoming more Christian (and hence, punks generally debunk “Christian punks”, and vice versa).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.