Christian school expels teen after rainbow sweater and cake were deemed'lifestyle violations'

By Brooke Sopelsa

A Christian high school student in Kentucky was expelled after school administrators saw a photograph from her 15th birthday party in which she was wearing a rainbow sweater and smiling next to a rainbow birthday cake.

“She was happy. She looked beautiful,” the teen’s mom, Kimberly Alford, told NBC affiliate WAVE of Louisville. “Of course, as a mom, I took her picture blowing out her candles, and I posted that on my Facebook page.”

Alford said that shortly after she posted the photo, she received a letter from the head of Whitefield Academy, where her daughter, Kayla, was a freshman.

“The WA Administration has been made aware of a recent picture, posted on social media, which demonstrates a posture of morality and cultural acceptance contrary to that of Whitefield Academy’s beliefs,” the letter, signed Jan. 6 by the head of the school, Bruce Jacobson, said. “We made it clear that any further promotion, celebration, or any other actions and attitudes that are counter to Whitefield’s philosophy would not be tolerated. As a result, we regret to inform you that Kayla is being dismissed from the school immediately.”

While rainbows can have many meanings — in addition to being a meteorological phenomenon — they’ve served as a universal symbol of gay pride and acceptance since the late 1970s.

Even yesterday the link to this story stated “CATHOLIC SCHOOL” expels teen. You had to read through the whole story and then at the bottom in tiny letters "correction; the story originally said ‘Catholic school’ but later school identified as ‘Christian’.

I’m looking forward to the headline that this particular Christian school will not use electronics anymore because the resistor code is based on the rainbow.

4 Likes

I’m also waiting for them to stop any references to the story of the Flood, since we all know what comes at the end of that.

2 Likes

No longer true since all modern electronics is surface mount.

resistor color codes did not go away with the advent of surface mount components, nor did non surface mount components. IPC J-STD-001 " Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies" ( Rev G released 2017 i think) still covers soldering axial lead components such as the resistors drcube referenced. J-STD-001 is the industry standard.

2 Likes

Wonder if when she transfers to a more liberal school (which’d
be MOST schools) …

… the SAME picture will get her bounced for:
… wearing a sweater (global warming denier) and eating processed sugar from a cake with too FEW rainbows …

… and baked without the bakery owners sued for religious reasons.

Stories like these just take the cake … :birthday:
… and make too much of it. :confounded: - get … OUT!

I think the current phrase is “global climate change.” While the estimated temperature of the globe is rising the more recent phrase emphasized that there is a difference in weather patterns.

In the best case scenario, the media were lazy in their reporting. In the worst case, lying.

My understanding is that the school cannot give a full accounting of this case because of confidentiality issues involving a student. I did not talk to anybody on the faculty or with the administration of the school. But I was able to verify that my sources have been deeply involved with this school, and believe that it is being sandbagged by the media.

When Alford says her daughter “is no angel,” and confirms that she has had “disciplinary issues,” she’s understating matters. My understanding is that Kayla Kenney had a long, specific list of repeated infractions — bullying, disrespecting teachers, vaping in school (as Alford acknowledges), and so forth. Part of what she has allegedly done is promoting LGBT consciousness in the school, including aggression on that front. I’m trying to be delicate here, but I can tell you that she has transgressed against other students on this front, to promote her views on bisexuality. For example, she allegedly drew rainbows and wrote slogans like “bi pride” on other kids’ papers, and allegedly gave at least two different girls the impression — perhaps misinterpreted — that she was sexually harassing them. Parents don’t send their kids to a conservative Christian school that tolerates this kind of thing. If the allegations are true, the school’s hand was forced.

[I]t is perfectly fair to write a story about how a private Christian school dismisses a student because of her active lesbianism. But those aren’t the stories that have been written. What we have seen so far is a narrative in which an innocent child has been unjustly identified by school authorities as gay because of the coincidence of her rainbow birthday cake. In fact, that kid has been promoting herself and her lesbianism for some time on Instagram, despite being warned by the school that doing so was incompatible with her status as a student in that school.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.