Christian Scientist.

Anyone here frequent these forums who are members of Christ Scientist?
I had an ex gf who’s family where members in this organization but they also played through with a lot of " pagan " ideas. It seems as if the Christ Scientist mix in other religions into the science of Christianity.

The only thing I don't like about the institution is the denile of Christ as the 2nd member of the trinity and God.  However I did think that Mary Baker Eddie's story is pretty impressive.

They are essentially the gnostics of old revived. They even go as far as to say the physical world doesn't really exist I believe.

The famous American writer H. L. Mencken once said of Christian Scientists: “They are fervent in their beliefs until they get sick and have to go to the doctor”.:wink:

I'm a life long Christian Scientist. There are many misconceptions about Christian Science that perhaps I can help with. We are not Scientology. Christian Scientists have the freedom to get medical care if desired. We are free to make our own health care choices. Moreover, isn't the public today seeing the benefits of spirituality and spiritual care with their health needs? Duke University has been studying such benefits. Pew research shows that about half of us pray for our health care. For more info see:

www.christianscience.com
spiritualityandhealth.duke.edu/
pewresearch.org/databank/dailynumber/?NumberID=310
faithandhealthconnection.org/complimentary-and-alternative-medicine-most-common-practice/

[quote="spiritualman, post:4, topic:299661"]
I'm a life long Christian Scientist. There are many misconceptions about Christian Science that perhaps I can help with. We are not Scientology. Christian Scientists have the freedom to get medical care if desired. We are free to make our own health care choices. Moreover, isn't the public today seeing the benefits of spirituality and spiritual care with their health needs? Duke University has been studying such benefits. Pew research shows that about half of us pray for our health care. For more info see:
]

[/quote]

Yes, I actually am quite aware of the difference in Scientology and Christian Science. I've thought about looking back into Christian Science, as I do not have that kind of strong faith, that traditional Christianity invokes. 

I don't feel that presence of Jesus Christ in my life. However it was to my understanding that the Christian Scientist denounce Christ as being the Son of God, and hold him to be the man who understood the connection between man and God. Thus not being a part of the trinity, therefore, denying the trinity.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

I’m not sure what your point is. Are you trying to imply that the idea that caring for one’s spirtual needs can help with one’s health needs is somehow uniquely a Christian Science concept?

I know in the city I used to live Christian Science people are nearly non existent. They put their church up for sale, and closed the reading room.

In the next twin city they are stuggling as well. They have managed to keep their building, but have moved their reading room from it’s former high rent downtown location to an inexspensive subburban site.

[quote="andrewstx, post:7, topic:299661"]
I know in the city I used to live Christian Science people are nearly non existent. They put their church up for sale, and closed the reading room.

[/quote]

Ditto. The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Omaha (built ~1909 IIRC) has passed into the hands of more than one Pentecostal Christian group in its history.

I personally think it would make a better Catholic or Orthodox church. :D
http://i7.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/4a/f5/bd73_35.JPG

Might want to exorcise it, first, though.

[quote="TarkanAttila, post:8, topic:299661"]
Ditto. The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Omaha (built ~1909 IIRC) has passed into the hands of more than one Pentecostal Christian group in its history.

I personally think it would make a better Catholic or Orthodox church. :D
http://i7.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/4a/f5/bd73_35.JPG

Might want to exorcise it, first, though.

[/quote]

I agree on the exorcism lol. With the central dome it looks very Orthodox.

Of course they would need to remove the twin pulpits, and put in an altar.

Jessup, we do believe that Jesus was the Son of God, born of virgin Mary. We don’t, however, believe that Jesus was God - just His Son. The Christ that Jesus exemplified is the connection between man and God. Our Trinity is God the Father, Christ, the Holy Ghost, and the healing Comforter that Jesus spoke of in John 14.

SteveVH, given that Mary Baker Eddy discovered Christian Science in 1866, scholarly research, including Catholic research, has shown that she did reestablish in a very public way Jesus’ teachings about the health benefits of spirituality, specifically Christian healing through prayer. For example see:

johnsonfund.org/robbins.pdf

[quote="andrewstx, post:9, topic:299661"]
I agree on the exorcism lol. With the central dome it looks very Orthodox.

Of course they would need to remove the twin pulpits, and put in an altar.

[/quote]

I know, right?! The first thing I thought of when I first saw it was that it would make a good Orthodox church! It looks a lot better in person. Never actually been inside, but I imagine it could be made quite beautiful.

[quote="spiritualman, post:10, topic:299661"]
Jessup, we do believe that Jesus was the Son of God, born of virgin Mary. We don't, however, believe that Jesus was God - just His Son. The Christ that Jesus exemplified is the connection between man and God. Our Trinity is God the Father, Christ, the Holy Ghost, and the healing Comforter that Jesus spoke of in John 14.

[/quote]

First of all a "Trinity", obviously, is made up of three, not four Persons as you have stated. The Holy Ghost is the Comforter, they are not separate persons. But how can you include Jesus as a person of the Trinity if he is not God? Are you saying that the Trinity includes a mere man?

[quote="spiritualman, post:10, topic:299661"]
SteveVH, given that Mary Baker Eddy discovered Christian Science in 1866, scholarly research, including Catholic research, has shown that she did reestablish in a very public way Jesus' teachings about the health benefits of spirituality, specifically Christian healing through prayer.

[/quote]

Again, do you think that this is somehow unique to Christian Science? The Catholic Church has been healing through prayer since its inception (they are called miracles), so I'm just wondering why this claim is being made as if this is something new and unique?

First of all a "Trinity", obviously, is made up of three, not four Persons as you have stated. The Holy Ghost is the Comforter, they are not separate persons. But how can you include Jesus as a person of the Trinity if he is not God? Are you saying that the Trinity includes a mere man?

SteveVH, to clarify our trinity: we define Jesus and Christ separately: Jesus being the human son of God and Christ being his spiritual identity (what I believe you name God). Here is Eddy's trinity statement from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:

"Life, Truth, and Love constitute the triune Person called God, - that is, the triply divine Principle, Love. They represent a trinity in unity, three in one, - the same in essence, though multiform in office: God the Father-Mother; Christ, the spiritual idea of sonship; divine Science or the Holy Comforter." (Science and Health, p. 331)

Again, do you think that this is somehow unique to Christian Science? The Catholic Church has been healing through prayer since its inception (they are called miracles), so I'm just wondering why this claim is being made as if this is something new and unique?

I'd say spiritual healing as practiced by Christian Scientists has been a bit unique for the pass century. Most members of the Church of Christ, Scientist daily practice and receive miracles of healing through prayer to God. The miracles become natural law and that why the "Science" is included with Christian. I have family members who practice Catholic teachings faithfully, and I see a bit of a difference. But I hear you and highly respect what Catholics are doing in their daily Christian practice, both with spiritual healing and charity.

[quote="spiritualman, post:13, topic:299661"]
SteveVH, to clarify our trinity: we define Jesus and Christ separately: Jesus being the human son of God and Christ being his spiritual identity (what I believe you name God). Here is Eddy's trinity statement from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:

"Life, Truth, and Love constitute the triune Person called God, - that is, the triply divine Principle, Love. They represent a trinity in unity, three in one, - the same in essence, though multiform in office: God the Father-Mother; Christ, the spiritual idea of sonship; divine Science or the Holy Comforter." (Science and Health, p. 331)

[/quote]

Not sure where to begin. The Trinity is not comprised of a triune Person, but rather a triune Being made up of three distinct divine Persons. Christ means Messiah, or "anointed one". He is a true Person, not an idea. Separating the Person of Jesus into the human Jesus and the divine Jesus is a heresy that was condemned a long, long time ago. Jesus is one Person with two natures, human and divine. He is fully human and fully divine, but one Person. That is why Mary was given the title "theotokos", or God bearer. She did not give birth only to Jesus' humanity, but to the whole Person who is also divine.

I'd say spiritual healing as practiced by Christian Scientists has been a bit unique for the pass century. Most members of the Church of Christ, Scientist daily practice and receive miracles of healing through prayer to God. The miracles become natural law and that why the "Science" is included with Christian.

[/quote]

I would only say that the Catholic idea of a miracle is precisley that it is not natural law that is in play, but rather a supernatural (above nature) event that cannot be explained by science. Lourdes has records of thousands of these healings that cannot be explained by science. That is why they are miracles.

I have family members who practice Catholic teachings faithfully, and I see a bit of a difference. But I hear you and highly respect what Catholics are doing in their daily Christian practice, both with spiritual healing and charity.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the conversation and sharing. It’s been a pleasure visiting here. Again, this article by a Catholic writer might be of interest:

johnsonfund.org/robbins.pdf

:slight_smile:

I grew up as a Christian Scientist. My take on it is that Jesus was revered as a beloved Master (the call was for all of us--man, woman, and child--to become as disciples of Christ). God as Father-Mother God, All Harmonious. I believe Mrs. Eddy (the founder) had a great love of Christ, God, and the Blessed Virgin.

My friends tend to be Catholic or Jewish. Not so much other Protestants--I don't really know where they are coming from. In Catholics I can usually sense a love of God/Christ and Mary, and a beautiful peacefulness.

I don't like the sometimes harsh stand of CSers on health issues--not getting proper medical treatment when necessary, especially re: children. I relate more to Catholic sense of devotion--CSers usually seem a bit dry and intellectual to me. I think this is in part since the humanity of Christ is downplayed--the Crucifixion is downplayed in favor of the Resurrection. I think this is a mistake. You need to understand your humanity and have compassion before you can transcend the earthly with supreme truths.

Christian Scientists tend to be very ethical people, and give a lot to their communities though usually in a discreet way--not blowing their own trumpet.

They believe people are created in God's image and likeness (with a basic dignity). They are optimists and always try to see the good in everyone and everything. They try to align their thinking with the eternal and what is noble, instead of being caught up in dramas and petty grievances.

If this is pagan, then so were the likes of Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and so forth. The church was founded in America. Church services are held on Thanksgiving--counted as a holiday. The church is basically a democratic institution.

[quote="AnnNotAnne, post:17, topic:299661"]
Christian Scientists tend to be very ethical people, and give a lot to their communities though usually in a discreet way--not blowing their own trumpet.

They believe people are created in God's image and likeness (with a basic dignity). They are optimists and always try to see the good in everyone and everything. They try to align their thinking with the eternal and what is noble, instead of being caught up in dramas and petty grievances.

If this is pagan, then so were the likes of Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and so forth. The church was founded in America. Church services are held on Thanksgiving--counted as a holiday. The church is basically a democratic institution.

[/quote]

Ann -

Welcome to CAF. My HS sweetheart was a CS. I concur with you comments above on their being optimists. She was in a car accident (car meets dumb truck and gets overturned variety) and had a pretty good bump on her head. She should have been taken to the emergency room to be examined for a concussion or worse but the parents declined the ambulance (they showed up when she called them). Bad decision but it turned out fine.

They do lack the fullness of truth in the CS church and need our prayers and evangelization.

Pork (not Pie)

They do lack the fullness of truth in the CS church and need our prayers and evangelization.

From *Catholic Sign* article by Father Robley Whitson and Pam Robbins:

"For those who stand outside it, Christian Science is a religion shrouded by mysterious metaphysics and obscured by two major misconceptions: that it is a faith-healing cult and/or that it is one more branch on the tree of Protestantism.

"In reality, it is neither. And while it is radically different from Catholicism (and from Protestantism as well) in both form and content, it can teach us much about the endless possibilities that exist for human beings who seek - and find - God. . ."

"With her initial realization of Christian Science in 1866, Mary Baker Eddy synthesized many and varied elements in her life to formulate a religion, eventually so well integrated that it has stood virtually unaltered since her death in 1910. Its survival is especially noteworthy in light of the controversy and opposition it engendered from its inception. People often mistrust what they do not understand and Christian Science, with its emphasis on the spiritual and negation of the physical, its patent refusal to rely on medicine, and its departure from traditional Christian positions, seemed to some an enigma and a threat. . ."

"Over the past century, Christian Science has earned respect, first by sheer longevity (time tends to lend respectability to the most radical movements and philosophies), by the journalistic world leadership exercised by Mrs. Eddy's best known undertaking, The Christian Science Monitor, and by the simple, quiet dignity of its churches, its publications and its members' lives. . ."

"Still, it is fair to say that, across the board, Christian Science is little understood and, worse, often misunderstood. Its truths are neither easily synopsized nor quickly communicated. Yet, Mrs. Eddy's scientific system of faith is precisely a system, *capable of being intellectually grasped. A Scientist, or active member, is always thought of as a *student, and reads and studies daily, confident that God is knowable, as revealed through the Bible as interpreted by Mrs. Eddy's textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. . ."

"The first century of its existence has indicated that Christian Science is not a universal call, and its adherents must explore ways in which they can leaven society and maximize their influence and impact. It is important for us as Catholics (and, ecumenically, to all Christians) that they do, lest we be deprived of what they have to offer - and they have much to offer us. . ."

"First of all, as with all other religious systems, there is the gift of heightened perspective that comes from taking a long look at something different. Regardless of how unexpected some stances are, at the very least they help us to see what divergent possibilities exist. A system like Christian Science, so pragmatic, so scientific - and so fascinatingly American - can prod us to rethink what we believe, not that we might reject or revise it, but that we might invest it with richer meanings, and see it in new dimensions. . ."

"No sketchy analysis of Christian Science, however respectful or well-intentioned, can communicate it adequately, any more than the nuances of Catholicism could be captured for non-Catholics in a single written effort. But even an overview can suggest some of the uniqueness of the faith and an awareness of the amazing gift that was Mary Baker Eddy's. A simple New Englander of eclectic education, she set forth truths she believed were divinely revealed to her through intense study and reflection, and articulated them with such care and thoroughness that they bear fruit a century later.

Much maligned in her lifetime, she is remembered today for the words she wrote and the Church she founded. Whatever the present and future state of Christian Science, Mrs. Eddy contributions cannot be underestimated. If she changed a single life, she may have changed thousands of lives, and in either case, who can say she did not change the world? As she said herself, 'It is of comparatively little importance what a man thinks or believes he knows; the good that a man does is the . . . sole proof of rightness.'"

[quote="spiritualman, post:19, topic:299661"]

From *Catholic Sign* article by Father Robley Whitson and Pam Robbins:

"For those who stand outside it, Christian Science is a religion shrouded by mysterious metaphysics and obscured by two major misconceptions: that it is a faith-healing cult and/or that it is one more branch on the tree of Protestantism..'"

[/quote]

Jesus said to Peter...you are rock and upon this Rock I shall build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail. This has been true now for 2,000 years.

Christian Science is built upon a false gospel by Mary Baker Eddy, a church started less than 200 years ago that mis-understands God, The Trinity, the Death of Christ, the fact that hell is real and at the end of our live, we come before God in judgment.

Christ said that his church would stand as a lamp among all nations, that it would be clearly seen and not hidden. The Catholic Church has over 1.2B members and is world-wide. The Christian Science church has less than 100K, the vast majority in the US.

So do you believe the Christian Science church is the church Christ established on earth?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.