Christian Scientists -- What should I watch out for?

My child’s teacher went to Principia College? I’ve been looking for a Catholic Answer’s pamphlet on what I should know about the Christian Science church. How might their worldview impact a teacher in elementary school? Thanks!

Be careful…they know their way around the court system and are not affraid to use it. In other words, speaking against them might land you in court fighting a lawsuit.

[quote=Betsy]My child’s teacher went to Principia College? I’ve been looking for a Catholic Answer’s pamphlet on what I should know about the Christian Science church. How might their worldview impact a teacher in elementary school? Thanks!
[/quote]

My personal experience with them is that they are friendly, very kind and giving and like all churches have superior, good, indifferent and less than loveable members. Insofar as any “bad effect” on your child, I can’t think of a one; they subscribe to a healthful mode of living, daily prayers and readings and giving a helping hand; also seem very keen on the best education they can get for youngsters. One of the things I like about them particuarly is tht their daily readings seem to keep God in the forefront of their daily lives, unlike like some who go to pew sit on Sunday and never give it a thought the rest of the week.

In my former church of Religious Science we had a lot of ex Christian Scientists who generally left C.S. because of the C.S. position on medicine. Christian Scientists do not believe in medical intervention for themselves or their children. Prayer is supposed to heal. This is one of the reasons Christian Scientists are so practiced at litigation. They’ll go to court to prevent their children receiving medical care.

Also, Mary Baker Eddy claimed that her book, Science & Health, was the product of divine revelation, but the actual fact is that she cribbed most of it from faith healer P. P. Quimby. The other churches strongly influenced by Quimby – Religious Science, Unity & Divine Science – all acknowledge their debt to Quimby. Christian Science does not. Christian Science is also the only oen of the four that rejects medicine as unGodly. There are other differences too, of course, but this is the most important one.

That said, if I had children I would prefer a Christian Scientist teacher to a fundamentalist Christian one. They generally do not proselytize their faith and I don’t find their practices and communications to be underhanded, deceptive and full of ulterior motive.

Jenn

This is probably off topic, but wasn’t Mary Baker Eddy’s husband a Mason? If so, I wonder if any of those beliefs made it’s way into Christian Science.

[quote=AmandaPS]This is probably off topic, but wasn’t Mary Baker Eddy’s husband a Mason? If so, I wonder if any of those beliefs made it’s way into Christian Science.
[/quote]

She had three husbands. The first one died about a year after they married, the second one she was married to for a time and he deserted her so she divorced him. And then she married a third time and he died as well. Her second husband introduced her to Quimby, but she wrote Science & Health after her divorce and before her third marriage so I have my doubts on how influential any of her husbands would have been on her ideas.

As an aside, it has been suggested that a very good proof against CS is the fact that Mary Baker Eddy got sick and died. :wink:

It has been my experience that they are fine people in general as much as any other faith.

The only troublesome part I have with them as a group is that their kinship network is very close and effective. I would not quite call it exclusionary but it is very tight knit and they take care of each other very well.

They do believe in God and Christ and are People of God, with a slightly differently view than ours. They love life and live it to the fullest.

[quote=Betsy]My child’s teacher went to Principia College? I’ve been looking for a Catholic Answer’s pamphlet on what I should know about the Christian Science church. How might their worldview impact a teacher in elementary school? Thanks!
[/quote]

This may be helpful:

SCIENCE AND HEALTH

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.