Christian soldier martyred at Marseilles

St Victor of Marseilles

Celebrated on July 21st

A martyr , the tomb of Saint Victor in Marseilles, was one of the most popular pilgrim shrines in western Europe, from the 9th century onwards. According to early writings about him, he was a Christian soldier martyred at Marseilles in about 290, during the persecutions of Maximian. After his conversion he refused to pay homage to pagan gods, was arrested, imprisoned, tortured and eventually put to death.

St Victor is one of many soldiers in the great armies of Rome who became Christian once they heard the Word of God.

His feast today is still kept in many parts of the Christian world.

He is depicted on two rood screens in Devon, at Tor Brian and Wolborough, dressed as a soldier, but holding a windmill.

I know I haven’t encouraged you at all , Rob2
But you post some cool things :slight_smile:

That’s very kind of you @Seagull . :sunglasses:

Or I should say - unique and sometimes quite unexpected :spider_web:

I’m very curious how he heard the word of God in those early days of the church. Was it street preaching like Apostles did?

You can say that again ! :innocent:

If the persecution was bad , @EvangelistVictor . I don’t think there would be street preaching .

I imagine it was through personal encounters with Christians .

I wonder how many of us here in the USA would deny Christ when persecuted. I’ve been threatened by being fired many years back for telling people about Jesus. I’ve since try to be more wise in my approach.

Saint Victor is said to have been a Roman army officer in Marseille, who publicly denounced the worship of idols. For that, he was brought before the Roman prefects, Asterius and Eutychius, who later sent him to the Emperor Maximian.[2] He was then racked, beaten, dragged through the streets, and thrown into prison, where he converted three other Roman soldiers, Longinus, Alexander, and Felician, who were subsequently beheaded. After refusing to offer incense to a statue of the Roman god Jupiter, Victor kicked it over with his foot. The emperor ordered that he be put to death by being ground under a millstone, but the millstone broke while Victor was still alive. He was then beheaded.[2]

The same as here in the UK .

We wouldn’t know until the occasion arose .

Sadly, the reason I got in trouble was for putting an anti-Catholic tract on a very devoted Catholics desk that sat in front of me in 1998. 20 years later I’ve returned to Rome!!! :slight_smile:

@EvangelistVictor: do you believe you deserved to get into trouble for that?

Because I can see more than one possibility.

(a) You were trying to show someone the truth:
or
(b) You were harassing someone of a different belief.

Which do you think was the case?

It was B. Before as Evangelicals we were sadly brainwashed to hate Catholics, as lost pagans worshiping statues. The tracts I had were hate propaganda.

I was like the Apostles Paul before his conversion on the road to Damascus. I was persecuting Jesus and His church.

And like Paul you were brought to the truth. :slight_smile: I praise and thank God for you. :latin_cross:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.