Christian Videogames

This is a question I’ve been pondering for a while, and I figure maybe you guys could shed some light on it

During the 90’s, they released a few christian-themed video games for the NES and one for the SNES, all of rather low quality, none of them were licensed, and the SNES one, 3D Noahs Arc I belive, was actually just the source code from Wolfenstein 3D ripped right off and tampered with.

Now, my question here was… since these games were aimed at a Christian audience, werent their creation immoral according to your religion? Considering the fact that not only did the creators of the games basically rip off Nintendo, they also outright stole the code for one of their games.

Here’s the creators of the games: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_Tree

According to the article you linked to, the company did not break any laws by opting not to have their games licensed by Nintendo. As for the Wolfenstein rip-off game you speak of, I am not familiar with it. Nor am I familiar enough with copyright law of the 1990’s as it pertains to video games, so I can’t really comment on whether or not what they did was actually illegal.

Assuming that what the company did was a breach of applicable copyright laws, then, yes, that would be a violation of Christian morality. Not knowing the specifics, I would not make that assumption.

It is regrettable whenever Christians fail to live up to their own standards and cause scandal as a result. But it does not change what is true. We are all sinners. The moral law should be followed because it is true, not because this or that Christian lives up to it. The Church’s own teaching that we are all prone to sin tells us that we can be certain that Christians often will not live up to their own standards of behavior. It’s just par for the course.

The NES games were bootleg video games that bypassed the NES’ built-in hardware that allowed only Nintendo-approved games to play on them. There are scores of such games out there, and a lot of them are 100-in-one type games. The hardware on the NES was a lesson learned from Atari which suffered because its Atari 2600 games could also be played on the Colecovision.

The SNES Noah’s Ark game was also a bootleg made with the help of id Software, makers of Wolfenstein 3D. If I remember right, id Software was upset about Nintendo censoring all images associated with and mention of the Nazis in the game and replacing the voice overs with English, so they let the group use their graphics engine and even the same level designs to create a bootleg version.

The Angry Video Game Nerd on YouTube released a special video covering all of those games, but he swears a lot.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.