Christian wanting to convert.......

I am a christian. And up until a few months ago, I spent a week with my Grandmother, who is a traditional catholic. And I began to talk to her about the catholic religion, and I decided that I wanted to convert because I strongly believe in tradition. The problem is that I want to become catholic too, but I dont know how.

Hi Shun. Welcome to the forum. First of all, I suggest you read reading materials regarding the faith, traditions and cathechism of the Catholic Church. Then find a Catholic parish near you and talk to the parish priest who will be able to help you introduce to RCIA - Rite Of Christian Initiation For Adults. There are many information about RCIA on the web. You can find it through google’s help. Becoming a Catholic is a process, not an overnight thing. That decision you have right now I believe is already a part of that process. In this process, prayers are very helpful. Pray for guidance and ask the help of Mama Mary in your prayers. Good luck and welcome to the Catholic Church. :slight_smile:

PAX

[quote=shun]I am a christian. And up until a few months ago, I spent a week with my Grandmother, who is a traditional catholic. And I began to talk to her about the catholic religion, and I decided that I wanted to convert because I strongly believe in tradition. The problem is that I want to become catholic too, but I dont know how.
[/quote]

Shun,

You’ll be in our prayers as you explore whether or not entering the Catholic Church is truly meant for you. Before doing so, you will need to confirm that you are not drawn merely to the smells and bells, but to all the teachings of the Catholic Church. This requires a period of study and discernment.

Personally, I believe that the Catholic Church is the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church established by Jesus Christ for the retention of the Fullness of the Truth, but it took time for me to come to terms with all that that meant. Even now I am busy learning what the Church teaches so I can, in my stumbling way, attempt to incorporate it into my life.

For an adult, conversion typically takes approximately 1 year. If you are a minor, expect it to take longer.

God Bless,

CARose

Hello Shun,

It seems that the Holy Spirit is working inside you and it is wonderful. Try and pick up a book of the saints. Reading about saints does teach a lot about the Catholic Church and our devotions. They are the best to learn the way Catholicism is applied day by day.

It is by these remarkable Catholic saints that I learned about offering sufferings up. The difference you can make in your life is amazing. Imagine, helping to save the world.

I wish you blessings on your journey, the greatest journey of your life.

Shun,
I am sure that God wants you to be Catholic!! As you noted, Tradition is an indespensible part of the Christian Faith.
All you have to do is start attending Mass with your Grandmother and get in touch with the priest there. He will guide you on your way.

Pax Domini!
Usque.

[quote=shun]I am a christian. And up until a few months ago, I spent a week with my Grandmother, who is a traditional catholic. And I began to talk to her about the catholic religion, and I decided that I wanted to convert because I strongly believe in tradition. The problem is that I want to become catholic too, but I dont know how.
[/quote]

Your grandmother must be quite a witness to the faith. Would you mind if I asked a few questions?

1. What got you two to start talking about the Catholic faith?

2… Does that mean at least one of your parents was/is a Catholic?

1. By tradition, do you mean historical continuity and evidence of the faith going back in an unbroken line to the apostles and Jesus?

If you’re really serious about exploring Catholicism, you’ve come to the right place.

shun,

Perhaps this article will be helpful…

How to Become a Catholic
catholic.com/library/How_to_Become_a_Catholic.asp

Hi, Shun. :slight_smile: Just wanted to say “Welcome!” Hope to see much more of you in the forums in the weeks and months to come.

Be blessed,

Mary

Don’t do it! Be Protestant like me! Mwahahaha

Welcome shun!

You will find lots of us here rejoice :dancing: in your decision to explore the Catholic faith/Journey Home. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have to help guide you. Just keep asking them!

Keep in touch with us about your journey Our prayers are with you, and God Bless you (and your Grandmother too!).

SG257 :gopray:

[/quote]

May God Bless your journey and thank you to your grandmother:) . You should talk to your local parish and the parish’s pastor. I would first ask your grandmother though as apparently she made the impression and served as the instrument for God’s catalyst of Grace. She would know of who to talk to locally. Read solid books (asks question on these forums, and you’ll get plenty of ideas, links to resources, etc :smiley: ) and discern through prayer. Always pray and discern carefully in prudence and temperance. Conversion is process, but in the end, I hope and pray you will find that all roads, no matter how difficult or confusing, lead to Rome. You’re in my prayers. Thanks and God Bless.

Ohhh, one other thing shun, I glanced at your profile, and it says you are 15 years old right now. Have you discussed this with you parents (or guardians)??? Thanks and God Bless.

Don’t think of it as converting, but as completing. You will still be christian, only with more graces and more responsibility.

That’s a lot of different information as to how to be a catholic.

When Jesus walked on this earth 2,000 years ago, he tells us how to become a member of the Church. Ther are many examples that we can follow today to become a Christian. Read Matthew-Acts. Jesus himself and the writers of the Gospels all give an account of these steps.

welcome home, your grandma rocks, and it is my observation that grandmas are responsible for more conversions and faith formation than anybody

[quote=iamback2tlk]That’s a lot of different information as to how to be a catholic.

When Jesus walked on this earth 2,000 years ago, he tells us how to become a member of the Church. Ther are many examples that we can follow today to become a Christian. Read Matthew-Acts. Jesus himself and the writers of the Gospels all give an account of these steps.
[/quote]

iamback – she is already a professing Christian. Her quest is for the fullness of the faith.

[quote=steve b]Your grandmother must be quite a witness to the faith. Would you mind if I asked a few questions?

1. What got you two to start talking about the Catholic faith?-Few days before I was to go to mass with her.

2… Does that mean at least one of your parents was/is a Catholic**?-Yes, my father was. He went to a Catholic school. I personally think that he doesn’t want me to convert becasue he had a bad experience.**

1. By tradition, do you mean historical continuity and evidence of the faith going back in an unbroken line to the apostles and Jesus?-**yup. pretty much. **

If you’re really serious about exploring Catholicism, you’ve come to the right place.
[/quote]

]-yup. My Grandmother told me to go to this website.

[quote=slinky1882]Ohhh, one other thing shun, I glanced at your profile, and it says you are 15 years old right now. Have you discussed this with you parents (or guardians)??? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

Yes, I am 15 years old. I did talk about it with my Dad, and my Mum. They told me not to convert because the "Idealology ( I think is what they said) of the Catholic Church is wrong. Praying to Mary, Saints, and confessing to the Priest ( the confessing I dont remeber if trhey said that). oh, and PS, if any of you have AIM, please check out my profile so you can IM me.

[quote=puzzleannie]welcome home, your grandma rocks, and it is my observation that grandmas are responsible for more conversions and faith formation than anybody
[/quote]

That is becuase, you just can’t say, “no.” to anyone that spoils you. lol. But that is not my reason. I strongly believe in tradition.

Hi Shun,

[quote=steve b]Your grandmother must be quite a witness to the faith. Would you mind if I asked a few questions?

1. What got you two to start talking about the Catholic faith?
    -Few days before I was to go to mass with her.

[/quote]

She’s a smart gramma

It sounds like your gramma, your Dad’s mom, is the link to Catholicism in the family.

You’re on the right path

WOW!!! I’m impressed. Does that mean she participates here as well?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.