Christian?

What constitutes the title of ‘Christian’? When you call someone or yourself ‘Christian’ what do you have to be, believe, or do in order to deserve such an awesome title? I say awesome because to me, the title ‘Christian’ puts you in a category all on it’s own. You are in the same group as Jesus and the apostles. Think about that. You share a bond with those who spent time with Jesus face to face. Felt His touch. And heard His physical voice.

So, to you, when someone claims to be christian… What are they claiming?

To me, a Christian is a person that follows Christ, and *all *that it entails.

[quote=E.E.N.S.]To me, a Christian is a person that follows Christ, and *all *that it entails.
[/quote]

What do you mean by ‘ALL’?

[quote=Singinbeauty]What do you mean by ‘ALL’?
[/quote]

I mean exactly that, ALL. Everything that Christ ordained us to follow, not just some of it - or what we feel like doing - Christ tells us that we must die to ourselves, to pick up our cross and follow in His bloody footsteps. We can’t just say we believe and think that’s enough; we must live and do all things in Christ, with Christ, through Christ, and for Christ.

Next question would be, “how do we know what “all” entails?” Get to know Jesus; you can’t love someone that you do not know. We learn from Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition how we should lead truly Christians lives. Read the writings of the saints; those who have gone before us and lived heroic, virtuous lives; they lead by example how to follow Christ.

Christian originally was used to describe the true believers apart from those who held heretical ideas in the early church.

I include anyone with a love of Jesus Christ who wants to live a Christian life.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=E.E.N.S.]To me, a Christian is a person that follows Christ, and *all *that it entails.
[/quote]

I should add to this to include all who are trying to lead a truly Christian life. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.