Christianity Defined

I’m interested in knowing how other people define ‘being Christian.’ What exactly qualifies one as being Christian?

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful replies.

There’s been a couple of good discussions about this recently in the forums. I think the consensus was that, at a minimum, you believed what is in the creed (either apostles, or Nicene).

Hi

To me those who believe in their hearts and announce publicly that they are Christians, they are Christians for all practical everyday purposes. JWs, Protestants and Catholics ets 30000+ denominations are all Christians.

Thanks

Since Jesus left no written Word of GodAllahYHWH revealed on him, or authenticated by him when he last departed from Galilee; hence my Catholic friends believe many creeds created by the Catholic Clergy not originated by Jesus himself in person.

His word was recorded threw his apostles.

Hi Wilma. Thank you for your post. What is your belief? How is one defined as a Christian or not a Christian?

Grateful4Mercy - thanks for your reply. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS.) I was listening to Catholic Answers Live the other day on my way home from work (I have come to really enjoy catholic radio.) A caller called in and asked Tim Staples what catholic’s thought of mormons. Tim replied, “Well, they certainly aren’t Christian.” Of course I’ve heard that before but hearing it so curtly said over the radio waves inspired me to find out how and why people believe I’m not christian. I believe it is God’s opinion and that of his Christ that really matters in my life. If They have accepted me, whose rejection could matter? But I honestly feel it is irresponsible to slander another religion on the air - to misinform others about what I believe. I believe with all my heart that Jesus is the Son of God and that he suffered for my sins. I know that through his grace and atoning blood I may be made spotless and be with him and his Father in the next life. I know Jesus lived and lives still. I feel his spirit in my heart when I read the scriptures and in my home when I gather my children around me and kneel in prayer. But… if I am in fact not Christian and thus outside of his saving gift… where do those prayers go? What about the inummerbale answers to those prayers? Where do they come from?

I looked up the apostle’s creed. I believe it word for word… except the part about the Catholic church. Is that what makes me unChristian?

James

It is not very hard to find the beliefs of a Christian.

The 1# belief is trinity that basically says it all.

Wilma - do you know any Mormons? Do you consider them Christian? I believe in God the Eternal Father, his Only begotten Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost - one God in three persons. I don’t believe the Catholic church to be the closest in teaching or practice to God’s ideal but I respect their faith and beliefs as authentic, productive and moving. Unlike most Christians I believe that God has revealed himself to other groups of people besides the Jews and Greeks. I believe there are holy writings inspired from God other than the Bible. I believe that God continues to call prophets and apostles among men as he always has. Would you consider me a Christian or a non Christian?

Thank you for your input.

James

I am just curious,do you pray to Jesus?

God bless

Hi RC. Thanks for your question. My family and I pray to our Heavenly Father in Christ’s name.

Thanks for the reply. Why do you not pray to Jesus James?

God bless

I believe that Jesus taught us the model of prayer in the Lord’s Prayer and told us that we come to God the Father through him.

John 15: 16
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

John 16: 23
23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

RC - what do you believe? Thank you for sharing.

James

*As they stoned him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” * [Acts 7:59]

John 1:18 identifies Christ with the Father. John 10:30 says “I am the Father are one.” Christ makes it a habit to identify himself as the “I Am,” chooses twelve apostles parallel to the twelve tribes of Israel, speaks in his own Name, forgives sins, and makes constant claims of unique unity with Yawheh, his Father.

To pray to Jesus Christ is, quite simply, equivalent to praying to the Father, which is why Catholics are just as comfortable praying the *Pater Noster *as they are the Jesus Prayer. Both are biblical prayers …

Hi Truthinator. Thanks for sharing your belief with me. Though I can’t say I ever address my prayers to Christ specifically I agree with you that Jesus and the Father are one. In saying ‘Heavenly Father’ I feel I am addressing the Godhead and I don’t expect The Father to communicate anything to me separate from my connection to him through Christ. Don’t know if that makes sense.

Do you have any opinions on what defines someone as Christian?

Hi Truthinator. Thanks for sharing your belief with me. Though I can’t say I ever address my prayers to Christ specifically I agree with you that Jesus and the Father are one. In saying ‘Heavenly Father’ I feel I am addressing the Godhead and I don’t expect The Father to communicate anything to me separate from my connection to him through Christ. Don’t know if that makes sense.

Do you have any opinions on what defines someone as Christian?

I think the place your heart is in at any given moment is something we can never really know; if this is the case, then we must admit that it is a rather subjective and personal matter.

However, I do like very much the Creeds. They collect the thoughts of the Scriptures and present a wonderful summary of some of the Faith’s key elements.

If Stephen prayed to Christ directly, then why not us? (The first Christian martyr, who received such glorious visions and departed with such bravery and confidence, must surely be a good example! Why else would the Scriptures record this quote? Seeing as it was viewed by Luke as admirable, we should be fully reassured this is good and pleasing to God our Savior.)

Your response does make sense. However, LDS believe that Christ and the Father aren’t SUBSTANTIALLY One, correct? I can see where this reluctance in addressing Christ directly would come in … Tell me, isn’t Christ also a god, though, in your view? Equally divine as the Father? If so, should you be hesitant in calling on him? I know Jehovah’s Witnesses have a similar conviction. I understand in regards to the latter, as they do not attribute deity to Jesus, but seeing as you do, I suppose I don’t quite understand this. Why exactly is this, for you?

Thanks!

A Christian is someone who believes there is just one God, the God described in the Bible, and that Jesus Christ is God and the only begotten Son of God and that he came in the flesh, born of a virgin, around 2000 years ago in Judea and was crucified, died and was buried and rose again by the power of God the third day to save the human race from the eternal consequences of our sin, which we all would have faced without him, and who has accepted Jesus’ offer of forgiveness and become willing to proclaim it to others, thereby choosing to belong to Him and to no longer belong to the world of sin, and who is or is willing to be baptized, and who loves others, especially but not solely other Christians, and is willing and actually at least often attempting to act like it, rather than continuing in the old sinful attitude of selfish pride and bitterness that Jesus wants to lift us from, and who refuses to participate in or promote any other religion.

The defining belief is that of the Trinity.

If you believe in the Trinity, that is One God in Three Divine Persons, you are Christian.

Hi
Jesus said he was Son of Man, in his second symbolic coming he would be Son of Man; the rest is creeds inducted by Paul ,at Rome, an enemy of Jesus and his followers. This has got nothing to do with Jesus. This is my cofirmed opinion, others are welcome to differ with me with reasons and rational arguments.

Thanks

St. Paul the Apostle spoke about Jesus killing on Cross in 1 Cor 15:
[17] If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.
[18] Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. Unquote
Now, in my opinion, as you know that Jesus was not killed on Cross, so according to Paul, Catholic viewpoint is not proved; needs to be revised.

Paul the enemy of Jesus?

Hi
Jesus said he was Son of Man, in his second symbolic coming he would be Son of Man; the rest is creeds inducted by Paul ,at Rome, an enemy of Jesus and his followers. This has got nothing to do with Jesus. This is my cofirmed opinion, others are welcome to differ with me with reasons and rational arguments.

Thanks

St. Paul the Apostle spoke about Jesus killing on Cross in 1 Cor 15:
[17] If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.
[18] Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

Jesus also reaffirmed that he was the “Son of the living God.” [Matthew 16:16-17] He further indentified himself as the I Am of the Old Testament: Compare Exodus 3:14 to John 18:4-6.

If Paul was an enemy of the Faith, why did he subject himself to threats, floggings, constant persecution, and an eventual martyrdom for the sake of Christ? Why did he encourage the Church, if he still sought to destroy it? Your reasoning is devoid of logic.

Paul wrote those letters not to say the Faith is a farce. He said, “IF Christ didn’t really rise …” What’s he’s saying is that we should be fully reassured that he did, or else the Faith is meaningless. Paul himself continued his mission long after this statement was made. Clearly, he himself believed in the Resurrection, which his letters constantly reaffirm.

Now, in my opinion, as you know that Jesus was not killed on Cross, so according to Paul, Catholic viewpoint is not proved; needs to be revised.

I think the Bible and any given history book will be in union in reporting that indeed, Christ was crucified and died. The Islamic faith (which you are not a part of, despite all your assertions to the contrary) merely masks this fact in order to declare the preeminence of Mohammed as its prophet. After all, Christ couldn’t have done something he didn’t! That’s what concerns modern Moslems, just as it did the constructors of the Qur’an. I find it far from admirable to blot out such a crucial part of history in order to justify your religion.

You should look at the faulty nature of your rebuttals, friend.

Shalom!

A Christian is one who lives to be like Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.