Christianity doesn make sense?

This is religion is weird, i don think this make sense. Why doesnt god just kill the devil. Why does god kill jesus instead of the devil. Why is there free will if god is gonna send you to hell? This whole business about god killing his own son to “redeem” us is so illogical, why did god create suffering in the first place? Since sin comes from suffering and suffering comes from the lack of things, why didnt god create more stuffs so people don have to fight for money. How do u know christian god exist and all other religion is the devil. Why does god care if we worship him, if god is truely all powerful, and we are so much dummber than him? Do u actually care what a 3 year old kid think about you? God is way too sensitive.

Oh yea why does god send us to hell? Why all the torture? If he doesn want bad people to go into his heaven, why doesn he just destroy those people’s souls instead why does he create a hell and torture them there? We, as humans, in our limited knowledge, already realize that torture is really really really evil, is god therefore evil (or a little bit evil)? If you were god, would you actually send someone to hell for eternity because they use condoms?

You have a lot of questions, but I’ll try to answer a few. First of all, God is perfect love. He gives us free will so that we too can love. You have to be free to choose to love. If God forced people to love him, would it be love? of course not. However with free will, also comes sin. When we can choose to love, we can also choose to not love. God allows us to choose heaven or hell. It seems absurd that anyone would choose hell, but many do. They’re too shortsighted. They’d rather risk eternal pain for earthly, temporary pleaures. God doesn’t want us to go to hell, but he gave us free will, so if someone chooses to go there, he lets them.

You ask why did God kill Jesus and not the devil. God lets the devil live for the reasons above. If there was no other alternative to loving God, our love would be meaningless. As for Jesus, remember, Jesus is God and God is perfect love. The greatest act of love is self-sacrifice. God loved us so much that He sacrificed himself for us.

ja3712, You have shown in your question a number of fact/truths that reveal that you know a lot about Christianity. You know enough to ask specific questions.
A. You admit there is a God.
B You admit that both Jesus and the Devil exist.
C You admit that we have immortal souls
D You say that both heaven and hell exist.
E Free will is in your question

You have asked so many questions it is impossible tto answer all of them. I will leave it to others to make an attempt to answer. It would be better to break your questions down into a few questions at a time.

ok… so god created free will right? So therefore when he created us he gave us free will to obey him or disobey him. We have the choice of each. But we all made the choice to disobey him. So therefore we have no place with him in heaven since we arent perfect like him and have flaws and sin. We therefore should be in hell right now! we should have been sent their the first second we came into this world. But god provides us with grace and sent his son to die for us so that we can have a place with him in heaven. This obviously shows that he cares about us even though we deserve to be condemned to hell.

[quote=ja3712]This is religion is weird, i don think this make sense. Why doesnt god just kill the devil.
[/quote]

The devil is an immortal spirit. Why doesn’t God stop him from preying on us? It’s not part of His plan at this time, but He will at the end of the world.

[quote=ja3712]Why does god kill jesus instead of the devil.
[/quote]

We (humanity) killed Jesus. God allowed this so Jesus could atone for our sins. (Remember, Jesus is one in being with God)

[quote=ja3712]Why is there free will if god is gonna send you to hell?
[/quote]

Someone else already answered this - so we can love God of our own free will. I think of it this way - God doesn’t send us to Hell, we choose to go there by rejecting God. People who hate God in this life will be separated from Him in the next - logical. Hell is a state of being separated from God.

[quote=ja3712]This whole business about god killing his own son to “redeem” us is so illogical, why did god create suffering in the first place?
[/quote]

Redeeming us means atoning for original sin and restoring us to God’s grace and friendship which Adam lost for himself and all his descendents. Adam created suffering through original sin (remember free will?)

[quote=ja3712]Since sin comes from suffering and suffering comes from the lack of things,
[/quote]

Sin does not come from suffering. Suffering comes from sin (either our own individual sins or original sin).

[quote=ja3712] why didnt god create more stuffs so people don have to fight for money.
[/quote]

Blessed are the poor. God calls us to give, with self-sacrificing love, not to hoard stuff.

[quote=ja3712]How do u know christian god exist and all other religion is the devil.
[/quote]

Lots of reasons. Logic, evidence (history, miracles) point to the truth of Christianity. Other religions are not “the devil”, they may be partially true but lack the fullness of truth.

[quote=ja3712]Why does god care if we worship him, if god is truely all powerful, and we are so much dummber than him? Do u actually care what a 3 year old kid think about you? God is way too sensitive.
[/quote]

Because He loves us. St. Augustine said our hearts are restless until they rest in God. Loving God is what we are meant to do and is the true source of happiness and fulfillment.

Oh yea why does god send us to hell? Why all the torture? If he doesn want bad people to go into his heaven, why doesn he just destroy those people’s souls instead why does he create a hell and torture them there? We, as humans, in our limited knowledge, already realize that torture is really really really evil, is god therefore evil (or a little bit evil)? If you were god, would you actually send someone to hell for eternity because they use condoms?

As other posters have said, God does not send us to Hell. Everyone who is in Hell chose to be there in some way or another. In a way that at first might seem ironic, belief in free will and in an all-good God makes a painful Hell necessary. If God is the source of everything good and we choose against God, we are choosing against everything good, and therefore we cannot be happy. I don’t see it so much as God torturing us as it is us cutting ourself off from God and the happiness that can only come from Him.
You seem to be making the assumption that torture is worse than nonexistence; therefore God would be more merciful if He destroyed souls than if He allowed them to suffer eternally.
Actually, nonexistence is in itself a bad thing. Read ewtn.com/library/Theology/SIPJAWS.HTM for Dietrich von Hildebrand’s explanation of why nonexistence after death is a bad thing. I’ve quoted part of it here.

In truth, however, existence as a personal being is a great good, the basis for all other things… If, then, we were to lose this fundamental good and descend into nothingness, this would constitute a terrible loss, a dreadful misfortune. Our no longer being able to suffer when we cease to exist would in no way mitigate the dreadful loss of personal existence.

The view that death means the fading away of our personal being is closely connected with the modern sense of the meaninglessness of life on earth. If our personal existence, so unmistakably linked to a higher fulfillment in the world beyond, were destined to be dissolved into nothingness, then our life would be a complete illusion. If the hints and promises of all great blessings were cruelly deceptive, the world would be a stage of absurdity. Only mockery and cynicism would be an appropriate response.

Now the existence of an infinitely loving, personal God excludes the possibility of such deception and consequent absurdity. The assumption, therefore, that a person’s death is the total end of his unique existence is in total contradiction to our certainty that God exists. If we accept this assumption, we become, simply, atheists. The view of life which stamps it as meaningless and deceptive will have won. What further need then to speak about hopes or fears? All is absurdity.

I would suggest that God’s Love would be as unendurable to one who does not love Him as the Florida sun to a newly arrived northerner without sunscreen in January. In His Mercy God provides Hell as a partial shade from that burning love.

Not the world’s best analogy, but maybe a suggestion of the answer.

In truth, however, existence as a personal being is a great good, the basis for all other things… If, then, we were to lose this fundamental good and descend into nothingness, this would constitute a terrible loss, a dreadful misfortune. Our no longer being able to suffer when we cease to exist would in no way mitigate the dreadful loss of personal existence.

The view that death means the fading away of our personal being is closely connected with the modern sense of the meaninglessness of life on earth. If our personal existence, so unmistakably linked to a higher fulfillment in the world beyond, were destined to be dissolved into nothingness, then our life would be a complete illusion. If the hints and promises of all great blessings were cruelly deceptive, the world would be a stage of absurdity. Only mockery and cynicism would be an appropriate response.

Now the existence of an infinitely loving, personal God excludes the possibility of such deception and consequent absurdity. The assumption, therefore, that a person’s death is the total end of his unique existence is in total contradiction to our certainty that God exists. If we accept this assumption, we become, simply, atheists. The view of life which stamps it as meaningless and deceptive will have won. What further need then to speak about hopes or fears? All is absurdity.

Many people in the world have never heard of god, yet they enjoy life very much. I’ve never heard of this god business until i came to this country, but i was happy though.

The quote’s purpose was to show that it is good to exist. You existed and were happy; if you did not exist, you could not be happy. Therefore, existence is good, because good things are only possible if you exist. That was the point. It wasn’t saying that people who don’t believe in God are not happy; it was saying that the logical consequence of the belief that there is nothing beyond this life makes this life seem absurd. If you believe that your life is just a random occurrence that will likely last for less than a century in a world that has been around for so long, it would be logical to assume that life was meaningless.

Why doesnt god just kill the devil.
[left]
God is just. Meaning…God is fair–he gives what is deserved to all–including the Devil. For humans, sometimes that means that our free choice of evil is punished.

Why is there free will if god is gonna send you to hell?

To be fair, one must be able to determine the path their lives take themselves–otherwise we are merely robots–programmed and meaningless.[/left]

why did god create suffering in the first place?

God didn’t create suffering, we CHOSE it. We wanted to do what we wanted rather than trust in God’s design (I refer to Adam & Eve in the Garden) they chose to do as they wished rather than submit to the will of God. THAT brought suffering to the word–it was a human creation that God allowed because he loved us enough to grant us the dignity of self determination.

Since sin comes from suffering and suffering comes from the lack of things, why didnt god create more stuffs so people don have to fight for money.

If you understood the answer above, you recognize this statement is made on a faulty premis.

How do u know christian god exist and all other religion is the devil.

He has revealed himself–this is a whole thread in and of itself–we see Him in the physical world and in each individual. The beauty in the world speaks of Him and our ability to apprehend in our minds the depth of this beauty attests to the reality of God.

Why does god care if we worship him, if god is truely all powerful, and we are so much dummber than him? Do u actually care what a 3 year old kid think about you? God is way too sensitive…

God is Love–and love is an expression. Creation is an act of LOVE. We are an expression of the reality of God. We are the image and likeness of God. To be true to the expession of God’s love, we must express ourselves as God expressed us–otherwise we fail to be the likeness of God. God does not experience “emotion” as a human does–He is God and above our understanding–God is immutable so we don’t “hurt his feelings”–but he is just and fair and we must represent his creation appropriately. So in that way…He “cares” what we think and do.

Oh yea why does god send us to hell? Why all the torture? If he doesn want bad people to go into his heaven, why doesn he just destroy those people’s souls instead why does he create a hell and torture them there?

We, as humans, in our limited knowledge, already realize that torture is really really really evil, is god therefore evil (or a little bit evil)? If you were god, would you actually send someone to hell for eternity because they use condoms?

All of this is answered above if you apply the philosophical reasoning to each question.

Why does god kill jesus instead of the devil.

God did not kill Jesus…Jesus IS God and He gave himself completely to us so that we might give ourselves completely to Him.

Hello, ja3712,

I, for one, think that your questions were to the point,
and sincere. I don’t sense a challenge in
your questions. I think you really want your questions
answered to your satisfaction.
If you’ll have patience with a personal anecdote:

When I was 12, I asked the priest…in earnest…
not as a challenge:

“I don’t understand, Father. We’re learning in
history that England did away with debtor’s
prison…where whole families were imprisoned
for a parents debt. And this is looked upon as
a humane improvement.
How come we’re paying the price for Adam and
Eve’s sin?”

I didn’t get a satisfactory answer, and my eyes
began to narrow with suspicion. I had asked
the question in all innocence and was dumb-
founded at the lack of a satisfactory answer.

I have asked many of the questions you are
asking. I still have a *big *problem with the idea
of Original Sin…and this is 45 years later.

I think my heart rests in: “God is love; and
he who lives in love, lives in God, and God
lives in him.”

Can you set aside your questions for just a
moment and think of: a little furry cat,
the beautiful face of an elderly person,
the memory of someone who has been
genuinely kind to you, a time you laughed
at something very funny…
all of these come from God, I believe, because
I believe God is Goodness.

I don’t understand why God, in the Person of
Jesus of Nazareth, chose to come into the
world, suffer and die…but I believe He did
because He chose to. I trust God. And
trust and love often go hand in hand.

I can’t seem to look around at the world
and not see God…
Thank you for asking your questions,

reen12

This thread has answered many of these general questions thoroughly thus it is now closed.

God Bless,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.