"Christianity in classic literature"

WHat authors or stories are there that have strong christian influences without being preachy.Please don’t suggest Romeo and Juliet. I already read it.

Flannery O’Connor is a great place to start.

I always thought that Jane Eyre was very moral. Despite her love for her fiance’ when she finds out that he is already married and merely wants to live a lie with her she leaves his household. She would rather starve then break her own morals. Her morals are based on faith.

Many of the books written before the twentieth century had a respect at least for Christianity. I thought that Les Miserables by Hugo had a very noble priest as a character early in the book.

In Dickens novels he presents both hyprocrites and examples of good Christians, so you get an interesting balance.

I could probably come up with many more but I am sleepy.

Anything by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Also Louisa May Alcott, although I suspect that there is a lot of “feminism” and even man-bashing underneath all the moral stuff.

You could try Bram Stoker’s Dracula, but it’s my personal opinion that he is actually making fun of Christianity. But a surface reading is quite inspiring.

The Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas)
The Pilgrim’s Progress (Bunyan)
Paradise Lost (Milton)
Don Quixote (Cervantes)
Faust (Goethe)
The Divine Comedy (Dante)
Beowulf
Utopia (More)
Canterbury Tales (Chaucer)
*The Decameron *(Boccaccio)
Le Morte d’Arthur (Malory)
Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)
The Silmarillion (Tolkien)
Everything by C.S. Lewis and G.K. Chesterton
The Name of the Rose (Eco)
City of God (Augustine)

So many!!

thank you for the suggestions. Looks like i’ll have a long summers reading list.:blessyou:

If you like poetry, Louise Gluck’s The Wild Iris is very moving.

If you’re in the mood for a Western, Cormac McCarthy’s All the Pretty Horses is a show-stopper. For some very heavy Christian philosophizing in a spectacular narrative, try his Cities of the Plain.

For a smart protagonist struggling with belief in a postmodern world, go with Don DeLillo’s White Noise.

For short stories of redemption and forgiveness, pick among Raymond Carver’s entries in Where I’m Calling From.

Have a great time with them!

Heidi.

Read Graham Greene, William Faulkner; there are a lot of Catholic authors out there. Look them up.

Matthew

Evelyn Waugh especially Brideshead Revisited. Ditto on Graham Greene. Don’t miss The Power and the Glory.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.