"Christianity" not the religion of God?

Greetings!

I’ve read a booklet where it says something like this, “Christianity is not the religion of God but was used only for the followers of Jesus and God did not call his religion by this name but he called it Islam which means submission to God” and, “the word Christianity was only used by the Apostle Paul and not the other apostles”.

Now, my question is, when did the word “Christianity” come into being and why do we call ourselves Christians (Catholic Christians in this regards).

When and where did the word “Islam” originated? Is the “Islam” coined before the time of the “Prophet” Muhammad or only during his “prophecy”?

Thanks in advance for all your answers.:smiley:

Good morning, Wawe. The word Christian appears in the New Testament at Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28, and 1Peter 4:16.

When and where did the word “Islam” originated? Is the “Islam” coined before the time of the “Prophet” Muhammad or only during his “prophecy”?

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question about Islam, as I am ignorant of that religion.

“Christian” means a “follower of Christ.” Christ, means the anointed. Thus, Christians are followers of the anointed one or the Messiah (to use the Jewish word for anointed).

Clearly, it would be funny to say that the Christ was a follower of the Christ. Thus, it would be silly to say that Jesus Christ was a Christian – it would be saying that He followed himself.

Hope that partly helps answer the question.

The online etymological dictionary gives the following:

catholic:
c.1350, “of the doctrines of the ancient Church,” lit. “universally accepted,” from L.L. catholicus “universal, general,” from Gk. katholikos, from phrase kath’ holou, from kata “about” + gen. of holos “whole” (see safe (adj.)). Applied to the Church in Rome c.1554, after the Reformation.

Christ :
O.E. crist, from L. Christus, from Gk. khristos “the anointed” (translation of Heb. mashiah, see messiah), from khriein “to rub, anoint,” title given to Jesus of Nazareth. The L. term drove out O.E. hæland “healer” as the preferred descriptive term for Jesus. A title, treated as a proper name in O.E., but not regularly capitalized until 17c. Pronunciation with long -i- is result of Ir. missionary work in England, 7c.-8c. The Ch- form, regular since c.1500, was rare before. Christmas is O.E. Cristes mæsse and retains original vowel sound; Father Christmas first attested in a carol attributed to Richard Smart, Rector of Plymtree (Devon) from 1435-77. Christmas tree first attested 1835 in Amer.Eng., from Ger. Weihnachtsbaum. Christmas cards first designed 1843, popular by 1860s.

christen
O.E. cristnian “make Christian,” from W.Gmc., from L. christianus (see Christian). General meaning of “to name” is attested from c.1450.

Christian
O.E. cristen, from L. Christianus, from Gk. christianos, from Christos (see Christ). First used in Antioch, according to Acts xi.25-26. Christianity “the religion of Christ,” is from c.1303. Christian Science is from 1863.

Islam
"religious system revealed by Muhammad," 1818, from Arabic, lit. “submission” (to the will of God), from root of aslama “he resigned, he surrendered, he submitted,” causative conjunction of salima “he was safe,” and related to salam “peace.” Islamic is attested from 1791. Earlier Eng. names for the faith include Muhammadism (1614) and Ismaelism (1604), which in part is from Ishmaelite, a name formerly given (esp. by Jews) to Arabs, as descendants of Ishmael (q.v.), and in part from Arabic Ismailiy, name of the Shiite sect that after 765 C.E. followed the Imamship through descendants of Ismail (Arabic for Ishmael), eldest son of Jafar, the sixth Imam. The Ismailians were not numerous, but among them were the powerful Fatimid dynasty in Egypt and the Assassins, both of whom loomed large in European imagination.

hola

i do not recommend reading such things… for some reason muslims hate our beloved apostle St. Paul and spread lies about him. it is one of the reasons i try not to talk to them anymore… please be careful and do not give too much consideration to such booklets…

Dominus Vobiscum

I take it you mean Mohammedan Islam - since before Mohammed came along there was Hanif Islam, which answers your question.
Islam means “submission” in Arabic.

Islam maintains that all belief in one God is ultimately Islam and that thus Islam is somehow the ‘natural’ religion of Man and has existed since time immemorial.

Thus of course, Islam has not much understanding for the covenant of God with Israel and the special relationship between God and His Chosen people - especially as it is not (only) about submission, but first and foremost about God’s love (could one imagine Allah being described as a “bridegroom” and a “faithful husband to an unfaithful wife” as YHWH is in the Old Testament?) and His salvific will.

As the first Christians (who were not yet called thus) were convinced that God has revealed Himself in Jesus Christ to enter a New Covenant with all of Israel, of course they did not give themselves a new name. Only when it both became clear that most Jews won’t convert and faith in Christ began to spread also among the Gentiles did a separate identity develop.

The book of Acts actually records when the expression “Christians” was first used: it was in Antioch (Acts 11:26) - a pagan city.

Dear all:

Greetings!

Thanks a lot for all your answers which enlightens me so much.

As I'm working here in some part of the middle east it is very critical for me to ask for help and to get good answers from you guys because "daiyas" here are very active in questioning our faith but, in a friendly manner.

At least I have now answers to give them and please, expect me to ask more questions to you:confused: .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.