Christianity & Religion

I saw a T-shirt today and on the front it says, “Christianity is not a religion”. On the back it says, “Religion is humans trying to work their way to God. CHRISTIANITY IS GOD coming to men and women through a relationshp with Jesus Christ.”

Is not the definition of religion a set of beliefs and/or practices of people who believe in a sacred and divine being/God of which the Catholic faith is a part? I’m confused!

Many under-educated people treat the words “religion” with “legalism” as synonyms. They are, in fact, two completely different things.

A lot of fundamentalist “churches” phrase it this way in their teaching, so that is where they learn it from.

religion:
[LIST=1]
*]Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
*]A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.[/LIST]

In my opinion, many conservative (Bible only Christians) refer to Christianity not as a religion but as an intensely personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Although by the defination above that certainly seems incorrect. They see religious practices as a facade, like that of the Pharisees Christ condemned. That people can be “religious” without being Christian ( guess what ? that means us Catholics-according to most bible only churches. ) and while that can be true…it is not true for all, most Cathoics have a deep love for our Savior and indeed know that Jesus is Lord in our lives. I do not beleive it was religion Christ condemmed(he was after all Jewish and his family went to temple, )but religious hypocrisy-“talking the talk, but not walking the walk”- to put it simply . That can apply to many, Catholics,Protestants and including those who profess a personal relationship with Jesus “real Christians”, yet fail to follow his example.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.