'Christianity theme park' in Mao Zedong's home province sparks outrage

Neo-Maoists have launched an online crusade against a “Christianity theme park” that recently opened in the southern Chinese city where Mao Zedong “converted” to communism.

The park – which is reportedly centred around an 80-metre (263ft) tall church designed to resemble Noah’s Ark – was inaugurated last month in the city of Changsha, the capital of Hunan province.

News reports about the project have infuriated China’s Mao devotees, for whom the city is a species of holy land.

“When I saw the news about the so-called ‘Christianity theme park’, I couldn’t believe my eyes,” Guo Songmin, a prominent neo-Maoist scholar and commentator, wrote online.

“The whole church thing is as inconceivable as a visitor from outer space and is largely a cultural invasion,” Guo said, demanding that authorities replace the church’s cross with a red star.

theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/09/christianity-theme-park-in-mao-zedongs-home-province-sparks-outrage

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.