Christians are now a 'minority' in Britain like persecuted Roman Catholics during the Reformation say top clerics

telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/12149200/Christians-are-now-a-minority-in-Britain-like-persecuted-Roman-Catholics-during-the-Reformation-say-top-clerics.html

All practising Christians are now a “minority” in Britain like persecuted Roman Catholics during the Reformation, according to two of Britain’s most senior Anglican and Catholic clerics.

The Bishop of London, the Rt Rev Richard Chartres, and Cardinal Vincent Nichols, the leader of the Catholic Church in England and Wales, said the churches must set aside centuries of division and recognise they have a “common agenda” in a more secular age.

They are not a persecuted class–they chose to walk away from Christ.

I don’t quite follow. The practising Christians the news article speaks of chose to ‘walk away’ from Christ?

Yes.

How do you figure?

The minority are faithful Christians. I guess you’re saying they’re a minority because so many chose to walk away from Christ… or are you saying that Christians are a minority now because of Britain’s historical rejection of Catholicism?

I really don’t understand. How are the practising Christians who are a minority the ones to walk away from Christ? :confused:

How do you figure that “practising Christians” (British spelling there) are the ones that “chose to walk away?” Seems like a pretty unfair and arbitrary statement, to say nothing of inconsistent.

They are a minority because so many left Christ. This will one day come to the USA if people don’t turn back.

There we go; I think your first post was a little poorly worded. But this post is also a mistake, in my opinion. Faith is much smaller here in the US than you think. Only about 20% of Americans are Catholic, and then you have to wonder how many are Catholic only by association. 25% cite no affiliation and almost all of the rest report Protestantism – which, in my experience, either means very fervently in love with Jesus or (more typically) just as unsteady in their faith as many Catholics.

The Catholic Church in Britain is not doing all that great either…

Benthamism controls British society and politics.

All practising Christians are now a “minority” in Britain like persecuted Roman Catholics during the Reformation, according to two of Britain’s most senior Anglican and Catholic clerics.

That’s an odd juxtaposition.
Just because a group is or becomes a minority, it doesn’t mean they are persecuted.

Are they simply saying that the number of practicing Christians now is similar to what it was during the time of the Reformation?

I think it will happen very soon in the U.S.
Last year, Pew Research says that the number of Americans who identified as “Christian” dropped by nearly 8 percent in seven years…while the “nones” rose by about the same amount (and the other religions had a rise, too).

But “nones” could just be Christians that do not which to identify with any one particular denomination. A rejection of the earthly organization.

I think what the UK (and to some extent the US) are seeing is the dropping out of those who previously felt pressured practice their faith by family or social circles.

I had the privilege of attending this wonderful service and the discussion - the music was sublime by the way - and don’t recognise the message in the headline as being one which was discussed. The only thing the Bishop of London said which remotely resembles it is that in terms of Christians that regularly attend church they are a minority - this was in response to the Cardinal who talked about Catholics being a significant minority.

Yes, I agree…sorta. (I think “nones” in the poll are those who don’t identify with *any *specific religion, not just a Christian denomination).

Either way, I still think this change shows the direction it’s going. If it’s on the rise for people to not identify with a denomination, then I think it will also be on the rise that those who are still Theists will soon not identify with a specific religion at all, either…and more will have a “general” belief that there is a god, but not a Christian or Jewish or Muslim one, etc, etc…

Agreed. Probably choosing various traits from each religion while also rejecting the authority of any one denomination.

Perhaps religion requires a certain level of strife in order to propagate fully from generation to generation. Something that is missing in 1st world countries.

Ahhhhhh, OK, that makes a lot more sense now. :thumbsup:

I find the work of scholar Diana Butler Bass on this topic fascinating - the role of the ‘nones’ and what that is doing to the religious landscape. Here is a clip of one interview she did for Religion and Ethics on PBS.

pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/2013/03/15/october-26-2012-diana-butler-bass-extended-interview/13585/

Perhaps the UK is in a different situation than the US because they have a State Religion. It won’t guarantee people in the pews on a Sunday morning, but the Church of England will always be the backbone of that country. The US will never have that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.