"Christians Aren't Perfect, Just Forgiven" Protestant Viewpoint?

I’m from TN, often referred to as the “buckle on the Bible belt” and I saw this bumper sticker many times (also on church marquees). It also irritated me because it seemed to suggest that Christians didn’t have to try to be perfect, try to improve, since they were forgiven. I guess this has something to do with the once saved, always saved thing and the faith alone doctrine.

Is it a fair assessment of the concept? Does anyone find this statement offensive/irritating?

(In the interest of full disclosure, I was raised Baptist, convered to RC and am now nothing-in-particular. Just interested in what folks believe and why). :confused:

To me it just means that no, we’re not perfect, much as we’d like to be, but the mercy of God forgives us in our repentance and renewed efforts to be good Christians. The emphasis for Catholics is on the mercy of God. Even absolution in Confession requires genuine repentance and “a firm desire of amendment.” We don’t deserve salvation, it is God’s gift through Christ, but God is no fool. He intends us to keep trying, and really, to ‘keep trying’ to live the gospels is all we can humanly manage, that’s what “Christians aren’t perfect, just forgiven” would mean to a Catholic…God’s mercy on repentant and striving Christians, sometimes failing, but trying again and again. What some branches of non-Catholics might mean only they can say…

Bless you. Trishie. God grant that you will find your home in faith! :slight_smile:

Not offensive at all. Ever heard this one? We do our best and Christ does the rest. The key here is Christ. Sometimes my best is pretty good, sometimes its not so good and sometimes it downright stinks, but through my faith in Christ to work through me, God grants me his grace and everyone who has this faith and that is the gift of Salvation. There is only one way to salvation. Christ alone. Paul clearly shows us that we were not meant to have to struggle to know whether we are saved or not. James shows too that faith without those works to prove it means that the faith is dead or that it is not real faith. It is all about what Christ does with us. We could never do it on our own.

Its just an answer to people who say they wont go to church cause there are hypocrites there, as if going to church once a week should magically make you perfect all the time.

Its just an answer to people who say they wont go to church cause there are hypocrites there, as if going to church once a week should magically make you perfect all the time.

**My answer to those people is, “This is one of the wonderful things about the church. No matter HOW full of hypocrites, there’s ALWAYS room for one more! Even you!”

A fictional character remarked that there are hypocrites among those who never set foot in a church, too.

As far as forgiveness, ponder this:

Forgiveness does not change the past into a record of achievement.**

This is why Jesus, of course, said those famous words ‘be near enough n good enough, just as your Heavenly Father is …’ :rolleyes:

We do strive and fail, but we’re certainly not excused from continuing to strive our utmost :nope:

hehe nice answer but probably would be hard to read if someone tried to fit it on a bumper sticker. Really I think that is what they are trying to get across. I think you are reading too much into it to say its a endorsement of antinomianism.

Forgiveness does not change the past into a record of achievement.

that one might make a good bumper sticker too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.