Christians flee after Muslims destroy village

Catholic Asian News July 31, 2009

KORIAN, Pakistan (UCAN) – Smoke was still rising from the Christian village of Korian in Punjab province on July 31 after it was completely destroyed in a violent raid the previous night by thousands of Muslims.

The village in Faisalabad diocese was attacked after Muslims accused a family there of blasphemy. In all, 60 houses and two churches belonging to the Church of Pakistan and the New Apostolic Church were destroyed and livestock stolen.

Local Muslims have filed charges against the family according to the country’s blasphemy laws. They are accusing the family of blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad, which carries a mandatory death sentence in Pakistan. They also accuse the family of blasphemy against the Qur’an, which is punishable with life imprisonment.

Christian politicians and Catholic priests have condemned the incident and demanded investigations of the assault. A group of seven Catholic priests went to visit the site.

… more on the story … link attached

ucanews.com/2009/07/31/christians-flee-after-muslims-destroy-village/

This invokes two reactions, first it is clear again that Islam is not the religion of peace that many claim.

Second, and more important, this is an item in which the world community and the U.N. could clearly be of assistance.

Any nation which has laws requiring death for things such as “blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad” should be condemned. This is clearly a Crime against Humanity.

It would be perfectly legal under international law to try the countries leaders and the local religious leaders for such crimes and then to hang them.

We are not talking about the death penalty for murder or such but for talking bad about a mere murderous mortal. Blasphemy implies discrediting a deity. Unless I am mistaken Mahomet is not an Islamic deity.

I realize that such actions carry implications against the sovereignty of a country, but can we allow wholesale murder to be justified based on evil laws?

Here’s an interesting little tidbit:

Offenses relating to religion: Pakistan Penal code
295-B
Defiling, etc, of copy of Holy Quran. Whoever will fully defiles, damages or desecrates a copy of the Holy Quran or of an extract therefrom or uses it in any derogatory manner or for any unlawful purpose shall be punishable for imprisonment for life.

295-C
Use of derogatory remarks, etc; in respect of the Holy Prophet. Whoever by words, either spoken or written or by visible representation, or by any imputation, innuendo, or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiles the sacred name of the Holy Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine.

298-A
Use of derogatory remarks, etc…, in respect of holy personages. Whoever by words, either spoken or written, or by visible representation, or by any imputation, innuendo or insinuation, directly or indirectly defiles a sacred name of any wife (Ummul Mumineen), or members of the family (Ahle-bait), of the Holy Prophet (PBUH), or any of the righteous caliphs (Khulafa-e-Rashideen) or companions (Sahaaba) of the Holy Prophet description for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

muhammadanism.org/Government/Government_Pakistan_Blasphemy.htm

I just find it rather odd/ironic/strange that Muslims have strict rules about elevating anyone to the status of God, and yet they will literally murder anyone for saying anything bad about Muhammad, supposedly a mere man.

Do these laws reflect good Shariah or bad Shariah (misinterpreted Islamic law)? Would these be laws that people who absolutely ‘love’ Sharia law would want to see enacted here in the U.S.? :frowning:

Also, Planten better not move to Pakistan:

298-C
Persons of Qadiani group, etc, calling himself a Muslim or preaching or propagating his faith. Any person of the Qadiani group or the Lahori group (who call themselves Ahmadis or any other name), who directly or indirectly, posses himself as a Muslim, or calls, or refers to, his faith as Islam, or preaches or propagates his faith, or invites others to accept his faith, by words, either spoken or written, or by visible representation or in any manner whatsoever outrages the religious feelings of Muslims, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine. muhammadanism.org/Government/Government_Pakistan_Blasphemy.htm

(emphasis mine)

i condemn such behaviours

:thumbsup:

Now we just need to get the people who enacted and support these laws to agree with you. :wink:

This sound like some thing the Mulsim will do as me. mr, planta will say its a regilion of peace &%$*&

as we need from christians to stop insulting other religions :thumbsup:

i don’t think that it was the act of government , as i don’t think that the laws state a destruction of village and church as punishment

but anyway , i believe that laws agianst blasphemy are wise for whoever seek the peace in the country

i don’t think that freedom of blasphemy is wise decesion to keep the people in peace with each other

my condemnation is for the behaviour of those muslims , not for blasphemy restrictions in thier laws

Perhaps I misunderstood then. You think it’s OK to murder someone because they insult Muhammad? :eek:

And what Christians are insulting other religions? :confused:

=elwill;5511219]as we need from christians to stop insulting other religions :thumbsup:

The practice of Insulting “other” religions has been around ever since mankind took hold of it. Nothing is going to change. Muslims are way to sensitive with this koran and mohamad deal.

A few weeks back in London I believe, there was something going on in an exhibit were people desecrated the Bible and were allowed to write all sorts of nasty things in it’s pages.

You didn’t see one Christian cause chaos, burn the exibit down, burn cars and overturn the neighborhood or threat to kill anyone. Not one.

When muslims somewhere in the middle east a few months back “urinated” on a Torah, you didn’t see not one Jew cause chaos, burn mosques and korans. Not one.

i don’t think that it was the act of government , as i don’t think that the laws state a destruction of village and church as punishment

It was the act of the locals - Pakistani government is a joke - their clerics and people run everything over there.

Did you read the link to the whole story elwill?

The mob also blockaded the road leading to the village for several hours refusing entry to police or firefighters.

The mob blocked the police force - who’s the law - the mob, it seems to be - sounds like the police force has no power.

but anyway , i believe that laws agianst blasphemy are wise for whoever seek the peace in the country

Ridiculous - I won’t even comment. It’s hard for a islamic mind set to accept anything.

Reminds me of “it’s my way, or the highway” deal.

i don’t think that freedom of blasphemy is wise decesion to keep the people in peace with each other

my condemnation is for the behaviour of those muslims ,

:thumbsup:

not for blasphemy restrictions in thier laws

awesome. a great source of information. I mean it’s not like a christian based newspaper is going to be biased for christians. :rolleyes:
It’s like me saying that there are 2 billion muslims in the world from a sheikh’s website. That would be pathetic…this is pathetic.

wasalam

RIGHT and it is a lie because Islam is a regigion of peace if you believe this I got a lake house to sell you

hmm…
what does regigion mean? :stuck_out_tongue:

wasalam

You know Zaki, I know you are just a kid, but sometimes my patience with you is very thin.

Here is a Pakistani News site:

pakistannews.net/?more=1

Pakistani mob attacks churches, houses of Christians

Hindustan Times

Muslim fanatics attacked churches and burnt down scores of houses of the Christian community in Pakistan’s Punjab province, a news report said on saturday. A mob attacked two churches and gutted…

It’s there - and this site is **NOT **a Catholic News site.

hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=RSSFeed-World&id=78a9686d-1d2c-4711-9756-a5669b48b2ec&Headline=Pakistani+mob+attacks+churches+houses+of+Christians

we share something in common then jagasaki :stuck_out_tongue:

wasalam

:ehh: <-- I** wonder if CAF put little “Spock” ears on this dude**… :smiley:

Child, you and I have absolutely nothing in common!

I looks like this mess is still going on - when this happened Friday, no Christian had died in the riots, but as of today, the death toll has rised.

6 Pakistani Christians die in riots with Muslims

Days of rioting between Christians and Muslims in eastern Pakistan following allegations that a Quran was defiled escalated Saturday, leaving six Christians dead, including a child, authorities said.

… link enclosed to read the entire article…

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090801/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan_10

**Please note Zaki **-

Notice the news is **NOT **from a Catholic News site

the fact that my patience with you is very thin and that ur patience with me is very thin proves that the feeling is mutual :slight_smile:
plus we both believe in God.

wasalam

so this is the religion of love,thet are no more then murders…Muslim fanatics attacked churches and burnt down scores of houses of the Christian community in Pakistan’s Punjab province, a news report said on saturday.

A mob attacked

but how can this be Islam is a religion of LOVE Da it was started by a murder

Laws against blasphemy cannot be good for anyone as it sets the government up as the arbiter of religion. Insulting Mahomet is no different than insulting Will Ferrell. Both are just men. It is not blasphemy.

If Islam is so weak and Moslems such wusses that an insult to a dead guy makes then feel the need to riot and kill, then perhaps Islam should be viewed more as a psychological defect than a religion?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.