Christians from Syria were actually disfavored under Obama’s refugee policy

The United States has accepted 10,801 Syrian refugees, of whom 56 are Christian. Not 56 percent; 56 total, out of 10,801. That is to say, one half of one percent. The BBC says that ten percent of all Syrians are Christian, which would mean 2.2 million Christians. It is quite obvious, and President Obama and Secretary Kerry have acknowledged it, that Middle Eastern Christians are an especially persecuted group.

blogs.cfr.org/abrams/2016/09/09/the-united-states-bars-christian-not-muslim-refugees-from-syria/
:cool:

That’s about to change under President Trump!

The real story behind this numbers have been discussed, with links to actual analyses on numerous threads. The thread title is, to be very charitable, completely misleading. For those who love confirmation bias, have at it one more time.

Yes now none are allowed in. Syrian Cristians were sent back.

I want to know exactly how many refugees the US should take each year to be considered “compliant” with Pope Francis’ “Christian” and “Catholic” ideals of “welcoming the stranger”?

Except that ten per cent of Syrians does not equate to ten per cent of refugees.

Vatican city took an additonal 12.5% of its population. Jordan took more than 100%. Since America caused the crisis, it should take more than European countries, who unfairly have to clean up your mess and have far less land mass individually.

Agreed. Probably higher. Christians and other minority non-Muslims are the more unfortunate victims of ISIS. They are sought out and being weak in number, more vulnerable and easy prey. This is not to say that Muslims who were not on their side or considered non-compliance were not victimised. But the Christians are the hardest hit especially in proportion to their number and their churches destroyed.

This is a Trump thread, not a Pope-bashing thread.

Seriously, dude, there’s no shame in being dyslexic. Help is available. :smiley:

The US does not apply a religious test; the religious demographics reflect the applicant pool.

Displacement of rebels against the Syrian government is what is relevant to the OP.
(In fact, refugees from Iraq have a higher percentage of Christians than is reflected in the general population.) But in Syria the pool in UN refugee camps is primarily Muslim. It has been speculated that many of the displaced Chrstians fled to Lebanon are not in UN refugee camps or seeking UN sponsored refugee status.

One of my son’s classmates heads an organization whose purpose is to extricate Christians and Yazidis from the danger zones. It’s an incredibly hazardous undertaking, but they have rescued quite a number of them, if slipping into Turkey can be considered a full “rescue”.

He has explained the difficulty in getting refugee status for Christians, also for Yazidis. Up to now, the U.S. government simply resisted it in favor of Muslims.

Never will I believe this man is wrong, no matter what Obama apologists say about it.

And parenthetically, there is nothing in U.S. law or the Constitution that prohibits favorable treatment of Christian immigrants over others. Nothing.

Perhaps you could ask him to elaborate on this “resistance”. If he is working in Iraq, the actual numbers show a disproportionate number of Christian refugees.

And parenthetically, there is nothing in U.S. law or the Constitution that prohibits favorable treatment of Christian immigrants over others. Nothing.

That is totally clear from our history.

thereformedbroker.com/2017/01/29/to-my-jewish-irish-asian-and-italian-friends/

But we still do have our shining city aspirations.

His organization’s efforts are in Syria. It isn’t “resistance”, though it is aided by Kurdish resistance people.

When it comes to “shining cities”, ignoring one’s own in favor of those who could potentially be our enemies is anything but admirable.

I am talking about the alleged resistance of the Obama administration, which I find hard to believe. What I find more plausible is that the US would not work immediately with NGOs, but first through the UN. The UN reports Syrian refugee demographics that equivalent to US entry. If there is a resistance, it might be at the UN level. That should be called out.

When it comes to “shining cities”, ignoring one’s own in favor of those who could potentially be our enemies is anything but admirable.

That is exactly what we learned in the sermon on the mount, in the parable of the good shepherd, and perhaps most importantly, in the gospel of the last judgment.

You have been horribly rude lately. Did you recently read an Alt-Right Guide to Interacting with Others on the Internet?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.