Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex

The large poster depicts a dejected-looking Joseph lying next to Mary, whose eyes are turned heavenwards, under the words: "Poor Joseph. God was a hard act to follow."

Both figures, painted in classical fresco style, appear to be naked.

Within hours of the billboard being erected outside the Anglican church of St Matthew's in the City, in central Auckland, it had been attacked by a man who clambered on to the roof of his car to smear brown paint over it.

As a result it was almost obliterated and the church, which describes itself as "progressive", is seeking a replacement.

Archdeacon Glynn Cardy said the billboard was intended to lampoon the literal interpretation of the Christmas conception story "and that somehow this male God impregnated Mary".

"What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about," he said.

"We actually think God is about the power of love as shown in Jesus, which is something quite different than a literal man up in the sky."

He said the church had asked an advertising agency to come up with ideas for the poster and the one they had chosen was not the most radical.

"One of the options we turned down had a sperm coming down with the words 'Joy to the World'," he said.

St Matthew's was inundated with angry phone calls and emails soon after the billboard appeared at a busy street corner on Thursday.

The poster also sparked a barrage of comments to radio stations and on internet websites.

Among leading critics was Lyndsay Freer, a spokesman for the Catholic Church, who said: "This is disrespectful and offensive to all Christians.

"It's flying in the face of our 2,000-year-old beliefs," she said.

telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6832468/Christians-outraged-by-poster-showing-Mary-and-Joseph-after-sex.html

A "progressive" Anglican church sanctioned this? Fascinating.

This is why more than just a few members of the Traditional Anglican Communion are making the move to the Catholic Church.

Blasphemous? Yes. But I would personally call the billboard a patently stupid thing to do.

I was just reading the same article on Yahoo News…

Poster of naked Virgin Mary sparks unholy row

uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20091217/tod-poster-of-naked-virgin-mary-sparks-u-8dcf68a.html

… ~ snip ~

Conservative Christians have criticised the billboard as offensive.

Auckland Catholic Diocese spokeswoman Lyndsay Freer said the poster was disrespectful to the church.

“Our Christian tradition of 2,000 years is that Mary remains a virgin and that Jesus is the son of God, not Joseph,” Freer told the New Zealand Herald.

“Such a poster is inappropriate and disrespectful.”

One protester was so incensed, just hours after the unveiling of the poster, he climbed on top of his car and covered the images of Joseph and Mary with brown paint.

Within hours of the billboard being erected outside the Anglican church of St Matthew’s in the City, in central Auckland, it had been attacked by a man who clambered on to the roof of his car to smear brown paint over it.

Good for him. It’s about time somebody started to stand up to this blasphemous trash.

Satan is alive and well. He is apparently also Anglican and occasionally attends church in Aukland.

[quote="Wolseley, post:4, topic:180086"]
Good for him. It's about time somebody started to stand up to this blasphemous trash.

[/quote]

I quite agree, some things cry out to have a stand taken against them, and that is most assuredly one of those things!

It is amazing that people would even bother to go to a church that is churning out that kind of a message. What would be the point of being Christian if this is what you think?

I havent seen many Protestants express outrgae-although the poster is in poor tatse it does reflect their firm belief that Joseph and Mary had a sexual realationship.

[quote="estesbob, post:8, topic:180086"]
I havent seen many Protestants express outrgae-although the poster is in poor tatse it does reflect their firm belief that Joseph and Mary had a sexual realationship.

[/quote]

But even if they believed that St Joseph and Our Lady had sexual relationships, I would think that they would still be outraged and this kind of depiction of them. This poster is mocking all there is about religion.

[quote="st_lucy, post:9, topic:180086"]
But even if they believed that St Joseph and Our Lady had sexual relationships, I would think that they would still be outraged and this kind of depiction of them. This poster is mocking all there is about religion.

[/quote]

nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=1038185

The same kind of humor is seen as perverse in the rough and tumble world of hockey, but for the 'devout' Anglicans, there is nothing wrong emulating Sean Avery.

IMO claiming Mary and Joseph had a sexual realtionship mocks Jesus-but then the poster is the next logical step for those who beleive this.

[quote="estesbob, post:11, topic:180086"]
IMO claiming Mary and Joseph had a sexual realtionship mocks Jesus

[/quote]

How so does it mock Jesus? I know that it's not what the Church teaches, but I've never understood how that a celibate Mary and Joseph (after Jesus' birth) does not mock Judaism, or marriage.

It mocks Jesus in that is assumes that his divinity was so insignificant that the taberancle he dwelt in for 9 months could be used again and again for mere mortals. It mocks him because it asumes that his Blesed Mother, having been tasked with raising the Son of God , respected the womb that bore him and the birth canal that he passed though so little that she allowed Joseph to fill it with his sperm and other children top occupy the womb. It Mocks God in the assumption that having allowed his Son to be born of Mary he then became the step-father to other children.

I come from NZ (born and raised) and can assure you that hardly anyone goes to the Anglican churches in NZ. Although many might put down Anglican as there religion on the census … but no one ever goes except for funerals / weddings if that.

Go to any Catholic Church on the other hand and you can’t find a seat:D

The most powerful weapon to conquer the Devil is humility. For as he does not know at all how to employ it, neither does he know how to defend himself from it.

So true, but not easy to adopt.

:thumbsup:

I try it daily and I also fail daily.:o

This is a smack in the mouth to God, Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the Holy Spirit. What trash.

Sickening. Just plain sickening. It is amazing how so many "Christians" now refuse to believe even the fundamentals of the faith! Just another sign of the times if you ask me. But then again, heresy has existed since the beginning of Christianity almost.

Does anybody actually take these groups seriously ?

No wonder nobody is attracted to them and yet they keep driving potential people away.

Yeah, that is really progressive.

It seems that these post Christian Churches are so desperate to get someone through their doors that they don’t mind trying a slandering of Christianity to get people into their Church.

Yeah, that is really progressive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.