Christians persecuted by Islamists, says Prince Charles

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25426155

Christians in parts of the Middle East are being deliberately targeted by Islamist militants in a campaign of persecution, Prince Charles has said.

The Prince of Wales made his comments after visiting the British branches of churches based in the region.

The prince heard accounts of Christians being murdered and families forced from their homes.

The upheavals of the Arab Spring have left many religious minorities vulnerable to accusation and attack.

Deeply troubled

Charles, accompanied by Prince Ghazi of Jordan, visited the Egyptian Coptic Church centre in Stevenage and the Syriac Orthodox cathedral in west London.

The two royals met church members who had either suffered intimidation or family members whose safety they feared for.

**Later at a reception at Clarence House, attended by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Archbishop of Westminster and the Chief Rabbi, Prince Charles said he felt deeply troubled by the plight of Christians.

“For 20 years I have tried to build bridges between Islam and Christianity to dispel ignorance and misunderstanding,” he told the audience.

"The point though, surely, is that we have now reached a crisis where bridges are rapidly being deliberately destroyed by those with a vested interest in doing so.

“This is achieved through intimidation, false accusation and organised persecution including to the Christian communities in the Middle East at the present time.”**

Wary relationship

The Coptic Church traces its origins back to the 1st Century when it was founded by the apostle St Mark.

The Syriac Orthodox Church says it was established by St Peter who became its first bishop.

Christians living in the Middle East have often had a wary relationship with their Muslim neighbours.

The Arab Spring though has led to an upsurge in violence with many Christians fleeing the region to avoid attack.

In Egypt, violence against the Copts increased after the military overthrow of Muslim Brotherhood President Mohammed Morsi.

Hundreds of church properties, homes and businesses were attacked and looted.

Many Islamists accused the Christian community of playing a role in President Morsi’s downfall after the Coptic Pope Tawadros II publicly backed the country’s new military rulers.

‘Largest Massacre of Christians in Syria’ Ignored

These are the people Obama wants to arm? :eek:

I heard a theory that the reason why the secular left generally ignores things like this is so they can generalize religion, violence, and extremism, lumping all religions together so that they can then blame it all on the Christians. This theory could explain why the ACLU can defend the free speech rights of the extremist Westboro Baptists (see linked ACLU article) but not the free speech rights of Catholics who are reasonable and peaceful.

ACLU - Why Fred Phelps’s Free Speech Rights Should Matter to Us All

Remember Prince Charles paternal grandmother was an Eastern Orthodox nun in her old age and his great aunt is a Russian Orthodox saint so the persecution of members of the Orthodox Churches is something he would probably find deeply unpleasant. True the Copts are Oriental and not Eastern Orthodox but considering how his great aunt died and how his grandmother struggled against the Nazis in occupied Greece he probably is all to well aware of the horrors severe religious persecution can result in.

Prince Charles is all right by me.:thumbsup:

So very interesting. Thanks for the link. But it doesn’t explain why Islam is the darling of the Left.

The theory is that Islam, because it has produced so many Islamic extremist acts of violence, makes religion look bad. The secular left then generalizes their mantra of “religion is bad” in order to say Christianity is bad. Ditto for why they would protect the free speech rights of the Westboro Baptists. They love to point to the Westboro Baptists as the gotcha example of Christianity even though WBC is made up of only a handful of close relatives and is pretty much universally condemned by every other Christian denomination and church.

Someone might ask why the secular left currently seems to be acting nice to Pope Francis because of him being named Time Magazine’s “Person of the Year”. I’m skeptical about that. I believe this is likely their attempt to woo him with flattery hoping that he will become their puppet, and in exchange, they will give him popularity.

I think there are a number of unexamined assumptions, not all of them ill-intended, that coalesce to create this phenomenon of sympathy: that Islam is a misunderstood religion, that all three monotheistic religions share some kinship, that all religions are essentially the same, to name a few of these assumptions.

He already has: The End of the Muslim Brotherhood’s Syrian Scam

Excellently said! :thumbsup:

It is refreshing that someone is bold enough to call it like it is. Good for Charles.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

People really haven’t a clue!

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

There are still Americans who think Assad is the perpetrator of the chemicals. Go to NPR.org to see the nonsense they spout.

I am glad that Prince Charles is speaking out about this. Its about time someone famous spoke out about this persecution. I hear virtually nothing from the mainstream media about it.

Another thing is I think they are trying to build him into a “cult of personality”, treating him as if he isn’t attached to the Catholic Church or trying to foster that impression in the mind of the public.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.