Christians Want to Secede

“…A year after suggesting possible secession from the United States, a group of Christians fed up with American laws they believe are at odds with the Bible is beginning to move to its target state of South Carolina.
ChristianExodus.org has attracted more than 700 members from across America since WND broke the news of its inception last May, and already a half-dozen families have picked up and transplanted to the Palmetto State…”

"…A year after suggesting possible secession from the United States, a group of Christians fed up with American laws they believe are at odds with the Bible is beginning to move to its target state of South Carolina.

ChristianExodus.org has attracted more than 700 members from across America since WND broke the news of its inception last May, and already a half-dozen families have picked up and transplanted to the Palmetto State…"

wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45102

I read this article. I am fascinated by the idea that the near inviolability of private property (complaint about the eminent domain decision) is viewed as anti-Christian. Doesn’t this conflict with the Old Testament teachings about the limitations on land ownership in Israel and, later, the reports in the Book of Acts that disciples, “held all things in common.”

In the US if people want to move somewhere to establish a colony for religious freedom purposes they have always been free to do so. Look at the Mennonite colonies in many parts of the United States.

and don’t forget all those survivalis nuts in Montana. withdrawing from society and forming communal enclaves is a long and revered tradition in America - Shakers, Old Salem, Amana colony, Bronson Alcott et al, at one time in the early 19th c. western New York (it was the California of its day) was a hotbed of such “secessionist” religious movements, utopian colonies, new revelations (Joseph Smith & the Angel Moroni for example). some things never change. this is America, anybody is entitled to do nutty things, alone or in groups, as long as they aren’t breaking the law or scaring the horses.

Oh yeah, I saw them on Fox News last summer. As far as I can remember, the spokesman basically said that their group wanted to offer political pull in the state for its value-based agenda, and that secession would only be an extreme measure if all else fails. Yeah, right. What may be enough for secession to them is, I’m sure, WAY too little for secession to the average Christian SC resident.

For the most part, Christian values are well received in this great state, but most level-minded people will not support radical views of secession, when push comes to shove. I know the group claims to have conducted a poll with results suggesting that more folks in South Carolina, than in any other state, believe in state sovereignty, but setting questions on poll accuracy, etc. aside, they need to re-evaluate whether or not their poll results mean that the majority of South Carolinians will actually support seceding from the United States again. My guess is that we won’t. We were the first state to secede from the Union in 1860, and although the “lost cause” of SC’s dream of state sovereignty is still etched into memory, so is the reality of the consequences that followed secession. Just a couple of months ago, Rep. Altman suggested that Charleston County secede from the US, for tax purposes. An overwhelming majority of the citizens of Charleston county laughed, and shook their heads at the sheer absurdity of the suggestion.

So all in all, I’m not saying we Christians shouldn’t give it our all in defending our faith. And I can’t predict the future–maybe things will get so bad someday, that the majority of Christians, and not just South Carolinians, will feel that secession is our only hope. However, I don’t exactly appreciate these people trying to take over my home state’s politics with hair-trigger-secession in mind as an ultimate goal. Take that mess elsewhere.:mad:

Sounds a bit like the Free State Project, where a bunch of libertarians are moving to New Hampshire to try to coax that state in a more libertarian direction, and thus be an example to other states. First problem with this is that you’ve got to move enough people there to make a difference. Second problem, in both NH and SC, is that if a state is already predisposed in your general direction, it’s not clear whether your project is responsible for policy changes, or whether the state’s public would have gone that way without outside(now inside) prodding.

[quote=HagiaSophia]"…A year after suggesting possible secession from the United States, a group of Christians fed up with American laws they believe are at odds with the Bible is beginning to move to its target state of South Carolina.
ChristianExodus.org has attracted more than 700 members from across America since WND broke the news of its inception last May, and already a half-dozen families have picked up and transplanted to the Palmetto State…"

"…A year after suggesting possible secession from the United States, a group of Christians fed up with American laws they believe are at odds with the Bible is beginning to move to its target state of South Carolina.

wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45102
[/quote]

There’s over 25,000 of us on these forums… is that enough for a secession?? :smiley: Hawaii, here we come!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.