Christians what does it men 2 U to die in Christ?

Rom.6: 8 But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him.

Rom.14: 8 If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s.

1Cor.15: 32 What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”

My question is what do these verses mean to me and you? Is there some sort of mutual obligation?

Baptism is a dieing of our old self and a rising again (a prefigurement of the Resurrection of our mind, body and soul into Christ).

Water can kill, but it also cleanses and saves.

To die in Christ means to die to our attachments/identifications with worldly possessions and self will - to surrender entirely to the will of God. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus refers to this as “Blessed are the Poor in Spirit”…It means no inner baggage, no identification with things or mental concepts that have a sense of self in them.

In 12 step programs this relates to Step 3: Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Renunciation of possessions is one of the great spiritual practices of many of the worlds religions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.