Christians-why do we fight each other?

I have been wondering, is it really necesary for us Christians to be fighting each other?

Don’t you see that our true enemy is out there? gaining ground every day. And yet we are here, fighting between each other, while we should at least be temporary allies. didn’t Jesus said: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand.”

Everytime you turn your tv what do you see? When you go outside? Do you think that is what Christ wants? Do you think that our goals are so diferent?

Or is it me who is wrong? And we should have priority in converting between Christians?

Because if a Church believes they are the fullness of truth, then it would only conclude that Satan had a hand in any schism or heresy. Therefore Christians have endangered their souls from a Catholic perspective.

But I do agree with you; I wish I could commune and Evangelize with Catholics.

Is it really necessary for ANY people of faith to be fighting one another?

Finding common ground in belief and forgiveness/ eternal life in the Sacrament. Many Lutherans invite all Christians to holy Communion.

can someone help me, I am still a bit confused in these forums. I have a question.
I helped someone in my job and didn’t accept money in return, I wanted to please my Jesus on this Sunday morning. The woman sent me a message to thank me and she said:" Beautiful people are not always good but good people are always beautiful". Is she calling me ugly?

Nope! It sounds like she was just talking about her gratitude for the goodness you showed her. Plus, maybe there is a very beautiful person (physically) in her life whose behaviour makes him/her seem ugly. Maybe your good deed provided a lovely contrast in her mind.

Thank you grasscutter for your explanation :slight_smile:

I often wonder the same thing myself.

We tend to push language to the limit in order to make the other side look ignorant, ungodly or even downright evil. Some examples of this would be the accusations against early Christians in the church. We (Christians) were categorized as cannibals and child killers. We were cannibals because we "ate Jesus’ body. We were child killers because we collected the dead bodies of babies killed or abandoned by their own mothers and gave them a Christian burial.

Today we level accusations no less hurtful or bizarre against other Christians. We call them names. We disparage them for their beliefs.

This all works out so well for the devil. While we are busy hurting one another, he is free to work at his destruction. We act in very unchristian ways which must bring him great delight. And we close down any useful discussions that could bring us loser in Christ’s name.

Jesus came to establish one holy, catholic and apostolic church. It is our duty to work to fulfill His desires thereby creating the one Kingdom of God.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It makes Screwtape VERY happy.
Otherwise, it is useless and silly.

I believe for certain that Christians should not proselytize each other. But some Christians do exactly that.

With out being rude and mentioning names their are a few Christians that if you don’t believe as they do, and have been baptized as a child without ‘gittin’ saved’ you are not a
Christian at all, and they feel free to proselytize you.

In this part of the country there are two large Protestant denominations that are constantly stealing each other’s sheep. Neither of these denominations believe that the other is really Christian.

=DMC12;11961068]I have been wondering, is it really necesary for us Christians to be fighting each other?

Don’t you see that our true enemy is out there? gaining ground every day. And yet we are here, fighting between each other, while we should at least be temporary allies. didn’t Jesus said: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand.”

Everytime you turn your tv what do you see? When you go outside? Do you think that is what Christ wants? Do you think that our goals are so diferent?

Or is it me who is wrong? And we should have priority in converting between Christians?

Thank you,

Thats a kind post!

But here is the answer to the “WHY”

It has to do with competition and gaining [or trying too] a competitive edge:rolleyes:

The Bible, logic and secular-history {on Christianity} all teach that there is only:

One True God

Who can therefore and DOES have just One set of faith beliefs [Eph. 4: 1-7]

And choose only One people in the OT and Founded Only One Church [todays Catholic Church] in the NT.

The "bickering is driven by membership efforts with in the Protestant communions and and focused on saving GOD WILLING; Souls in the Catholic Church.

God Bless you,
Patrick

A friend, who belongs to the Church of God, was able to travel to Russia during the communist era. He was smuggled down back alleys, through buildings, and finally ended in a windowless room for an underground church service. He was amazed at the richness of the experience and the willingness of the Russian Christians to suffer persecution for their faith. He went back after the breakup of the Soviet Union and tried to revisit the people he had worshiped with. The Orthodox were bickering with the Catholics, the Lutherans with the Baptists, etc. When I hear of people complaining about things and picking at differences, I think back on this story.

I think if we didn’t take Christianity too seriously we wouldn’t bother. We take Christianity seriously, therefore we debate each other and seek the conversion of the other.

Well, we’ve got free will. It is a bane and a boon at the same time. Perhaps we let the secular world infiltrate our minds more than we think. :o

MJ

Truth should never be sacrificed in the name of unity. Preserving Truth should be our first priority and then conversion through attraction. Our differences are not small, in many cases. Are you willing to give up the Eucharist, for instance? The great majority of non-Catholic Christians don’t believe it.

Yes, the devil delights in leading people away from the truth. The division among Christians is just evidence of his success. If we all had the Truth we would also have unity. That is where we must begin.

I don’t think the OP was advocating giving up anything to join other denominations, or giving up truths.
Seems to me (as stressed in the Vatican II Council) that we should seek common ground where we can…not denigrate each other…tolerate differences.

I don’t think catholics have ever been big on aggressively trying to sway other Christians away from their churches, (tho we’re hugely happy when they decide to seek us out!). Catholics have traditionally not been out knocking on doors to help people find Jesus, nor have they been telling other Christians they’re going to Hell because of some belief or practice. I truly hope that we never devolve to that.

In my experience, people seek to convert to catholicism for several key reasons:
They sensed something missing at their church. Or the many churches they tried out.
They saw their church doctrine seemed to change depending on who the pastor was.
They saw their church abandon beliefs formerly held in deference to popular culture.
They sensed a need to come to Jesus, and noted some wonderful catholics in their midst.

'Catholic in the Ozark’s is a former evangelical and is working to address the misconceptions sect leaders have used to either put an adversarial mindset into protestants or to use these misconceptions to take Catholics out of the Church. Many new Hispanics coming here are being targeted to leave the Church.

The second problem is that because of modernism…the easy way…is not the way to heaven.

St Francis of Assisi in 1221 wrote a letter to Catholics after he came out of a very serious illness. It is quite sobering and is easily available on the internet.

To get back our salt as Catholics we need to return to sacramental prayer before the Blessed Sacrament, to carry the cross and make sacrifices of love for Christ in all that we are and do every day.

And we must do penance for the remission of sin, as Christ said in Luke, if we wish to be saved and not perish.

So as a Catholic, our focus needs to be more on Christ and the Cross.

:tiphat:

That was during the time of deliberate poor catechesis by those who had lost their faith and were trying to re create a new church according to their dictates…which is the same issue with protestantism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.