Christie Slams Marijuana Legalization & Colorado: ‘Never, As Long As I’m Governor’

TRENTON, N.J. (CBS4) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie rejected any efforts to legalize marijuana, dismissing claims of “inevitable” legalization already in place in Colorado and Washington state. He rejected any prospective tax or revenue benefits, stating that he would “never” legalize the substance as long as he is governor.

Speaking with a caller on NJ 1015, the Republican New Jersey governor repeatedly held his stance against the legalization of marijuana, saying that he will never allow the “gateway drug” to harm children and young adults as long as he is in office – regardless of any economic benefits.

“I’ve heard you speak on it before, there are pros and cons with everything,” the caller, identified as Sue, told Christie. “It’s going to happen down the pipeline: it creates industry, it creates jobs, it creates money, revenue – look at California. Look at Colorado, what they’ve done with the money they have …”

denver.cbslocal.com/2014/04/22/christie-rejects-marijuana-legalization-never-as-long-as-im-governor

What economic benefits? Tax revenue? In exchange for what? A bunch of people living in their mum’s basement getting a government check and high at the same time?

If one wants tax revenue, lower the rates on the rich. :thumbsup:

You folks have been saying that since the days of St. Ronald the Lame.

In case you haven’t noticed, the rich have done extremely well since then. The rest of us are still waiting for the “trickle.”

It was voo-doo economics then, and it’s voo-doo now.

Good, I am glad Christie is strong on this. Studies have shown the negative effects that drug has on the mind and the body. They always taught us to say no to drugs in school and now a few years later the government is legalizing it. :eek: Not to mention it is a gateway drug…

True.

I’m glad that at least NJ wants to resist, but the other states will no doubt put pressure to bear.

I hope somebody is keeping track of the statistics, before and after, on this experiment.

=Cricket123;11921453]You folks have been saying that since the days of St. Ronald the Lame.

:dts:

I’m not “you folks” and there is no such saint.

In case you haven’t noticed, the rich have done extremely well since then. The rest of us are still waiting for the “trickle.”

I really hope that wasn’t a Jon Stewart quote…:ouch: :o

I would suggest contacting Obama in that case. He’s the president now and doesn’t really subscribe to trickle down economics. He is into crony capitalism and failed wealth redistribution. :yup:

It was voo-doo economics then, and it’s voo-doo now.

:rolleyes:

Reagen’s policies worked. They turned around the democrat/GOP establishment disaster of the 60s and 70s and Reagen created over 16 million new jobs.

Totally agree with you LittleFlower! Well said!

A bit excessive in referring to a former president. Just plain uncalled for.

Interesting how “trickling” seems to work. Since the government first started keeping stats on it, the greatest percentage of national income going to labor versus property is when unemployment is lowest. The reverse is also true. So, in a government such as we have now, which discourages employment at every turn, it is exactly squeezing off the relative rewards of labor in favor of the rewards of capital. “Trickle down” with a vengeance. Paraphrasing, then, an observation Solzhenitsyn made of the Soviet Union, a country under leftist government is “where capital is dear and labor cheap, unlike one under conservative government where it’s the other way around.”

Returning to Christie for a moment. I was amused when some pundit referred to the current national administration as working to convert the country into a “work free drug place”. Lot of truth to that.

Christie, it appears, is of a different turn of mind.

Good for him. The negative effects of using marijuana cannot be ignored.

Say no to marijuana.

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.