Christine Maggiore, prominent HIV skeptic, dead at 52

There goes my irony meter…

Christine Maggiore, prominent HIV skeptic, dead at 52

Christine Maggiore, a Van Nuys woman who garnered national attention as an outspoken skeptic of the human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, has died, according to the L.A. County coroner’s office.

Maggiore, 52, was founder of Alive & Well AIDS Alternatives, a nonprofit that challenges “common assumptions” about AIDS. Her group’s website and toll-free hotline cater to expectant HIV-positive mothers who **shun AIDS medications, want to breast-feed their babies **and seek to meet others of like mind. She also had written a book on the subject, titled “What if Everything You Thought You Knew About AIDS Was Wrong?”

In 2006, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office decided not to file criminal charges against Maggiore, whose daughter died the year before in what the county coroner ruled was AIDS-related pneumonia.

Los Angeles police had been investigating whether Maggiore and her husband, Robin Scovill, were negligent in not testing or treating Eliza Jane Scovill for the human immunodeficiency virus before her May 2005 death.

Maggiore had said that she **did not take antiviral medications during her pregnancy and that she did not have her daughter tested **for the virus after birth.

In a message on the Alive & Well website, Maggiore explained her own story and how she became an activist. “Through Alive & Well and my book, I hope to share vital facts, inspire essential dialogue and give other people who test HIV -positive the chance to consider a destiny that differs from the one we are taught to expect,” she wrote.

Source: latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008/12/christine-maggi.html

The cause of death is still being researched… But do you wanna take a few bets on what it was?

What are your opinions on AIDs deniers?
If they want to refuse medication, it’s their choice, but what about their kids?

I never knew that ‘‘AIDS deniers’’ existed, this is both shocking and sad news.

just spoke with a former student who is working with the UN in public health, specifically with this issue, women passing the virus on to children through pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, and as a biologist she is au courant with this issue, and sadly deceased is dead wrong in her claims. no pun intended because it is grave, not funny in the least.

Twenty, even 15 years ago, it might have been questionable. But the advent of multiple anti-retrovirus drugs for the treatment of HIV and the subsequent massive decline in AIDS deaths should have put any doubts to rest. Its very sad, especially when children suffer because of their parents beliefs.

What are the odds you are going to give?

Me neither before.
Just weird…

I was joking.
But do you have anything in mind? Would be interesting to at least consider. What would you bet on?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.