Christkindlmarket offensive to non-Christians?

If you are non-Christian and of your own free will attended a market called Christkindlmarket during the month that Christmas is celebrated, would you be offended if you saw a prominant display with clips of a movie with scenes from the birth of Christ? Or would you be more offended that some people assume you’d be offended?

For me as a Christian, if I attended a festival called Mohammedmarket and was told that a display showing clips of a movie about Mohammed was removed because it might be insensitive to me and fellow Christians, I think I’d feel insulted.

christkindlmarket.com/

New Line Rebuffed In Chicago Over Nativity Film
28 November 2006 (StudioBriefing)
New Line has agreed to remove video ads for its film The Nativity Story at Christkindlmarket, a downtown Chicago Christmas festival presented by the German American Chamber of Commerce, after the city expressed concern that the ads might offend non-Christians. In a statement, the city said, “Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards.” A New Line spokesman, Christina (sic) Kounelias, said it was the only such rejection it had received for the ads. She added, “One would assume that if [people] were to go to Christkindlmarket, they’d know it is about Christmas.” The film is scheduled to open next weekend.

Not sure what “acceptable advertising standards” means, but I’m mostly interested in the first part of the statement that says the advertisement would be insensitive to those of other faiths.

It’s not offensive to me. I appreciate and enjoy that people practice and are proud of their faith and heritage. I attend such festivals, in part, to learn about how other people believe and live. I would expect to see representations of their faith.

cheddar

That’s why we’re blessed to have religious freedom here in the United States. :smiley:

:confused:

What freedom is cited in the OP’s post for Christians in this case? Zippo.

Or would you be more offended that some people assume you’d be offended?

Yes - because other people would be assuming I’m a small-minded, brainless bigot. :frowning:

I wouldn’t want to make the same assumption about people of other faiths.

Our local Greek Orthodox church has a festival twice a year. During the festival they offer an opportunity to enter the church and hear the Pastor speak about the faith, symbolism, icons, and practices. It is usually well attended and there is a question/answer session following.

It really adds to the richness of the event. We get a better idea of why these people make such a commitment of time and effort and what “powers” them…I appreciate that they proudly share their faith with the community.

cheddar

I don’t find anything offensive about it. I am a Christian, and the only thing that it offensive to me is not being able to speak out about Who and why I am celebrating this Holiday. Christmas is about the birth of Christ,not about what I’m going to get from my family and friends. My Christmas cards always have Bible verses in them, and I’ve actually purchased Bibles as Christmas gifts for friends of mine. The holiday is about Him, not me. I think about what I am giving to Him at this time; if I am not giving Him my whole being, then I am not giving Him a gift that is worthy; after all, He gave His life for me to save me from my sins by dyinjg on the cross. There is nothing I could ever give Him that is worthy for what He has done for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.