Christmas/Advent Prayers

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone knew some good prayers I could say with my children (10 and 8) leading up to Christmas.

Liz

A few suggestions:

[LIST]
*]Scripture. Use the daily Mass readings, which are wonderful during Advent. Go to usccb.org/nab/today.shtml by yourself and find out what today's readings are. Don't overwhelm them with the entire readings. Choose just a few lines from one of them, lines that touch your heart and which you think your children will be able to understand. Then when it is prayer time, help your children find the passage in your family Bible. Read it together, and talk for a minute about what God is saying to each of you through the reading.

*]The Rosary. If your children have short attention spans (most kids do), I would do one decade a day, concentrating on the Joyful Mysteries in the Advent and Christmas season. Again, bring in Scripture: read a very brief line from the Bible at the beginning of the Mystery, chosen from:
[LIST=1]
*]The Annunciation: Luke 1:26-38
*]The Visitation: Luke 1:39-53
*]The Nativity: Luke 2:1-20; Matthew 2:1-15
*]The Presentation in the Temple: Luke 2:22-40
*]The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple: Luke 2:41-52
[/LIST]

*]The Saint Anthony Novena (a Christmas prayer traditionally prayed each day from November 30, the Feast of Saint Andrew, until Christmas). Use this prayer to help them imagine what it must have been like for Jesus to be born, and to thank Him. "Hear my prayers and grant my desires" may be more meaningful if each of you mentions specific prayer intentions before or after the prayer:
[/LIST]

Hail and blessed be the hour and moment
in which the Son of God was born of the most pure Virgin Mary
at midnight, in Bethlehem, in piercing cold.
In that hour vouchsafe, O my God, to hear my prayers and grant my desires
through the merits of our Savior, Jesus Christ and His Blessed Mother. Amen.

Thank you very much for that, especially the St Anthony's novena. It was exactly what I was after.

Liz J- Can you ask your parish Priest (or whoever) in your parish for children's prayer books for Advent - Christmas time?

The following websites might be helpful. You can probably go to the same websites for Christmas Prayers.

catholicmom.com/advent.htm

wf-f.org/ADVPray.html

cptryon.org/prayer/child/adv.html

churchyear.net/adventprayers.html

Thank you very much for these links. There's lots of good stuff there - and not just prayers.
Liz

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.