Christmas Carols written by Catholics

Does anyone know if most of the traditional carols were written by Catholics? Such as Silent Night, The First Noel, etc. I would assume that most of them are. Do protestants have any issue with this?

Curious

Silent Night (Stille Nacht), was written by a German Catholic priest named Father Josef Mohr. Truly one of my favorites.

John

“Do You Hear What I Hear?” by Noel Regenry.
See this article from the St. Anthony Messenger. Regenry wrote the song during the Cuban missile crisis as a prayer for peace & is also the author or “Dominique”.

Hark the Herald Angels Sing was written by Charles Wesley, a Protestant.

Away in a Manger was written for a Lutheran Sunday School. While Shepherds Watched was written by Nahum Tate, poet laureate to Queen Anne, the music was adapted from a tune by Handel. Tate was definitely not Catholic.

I heard this man on my local radio station.

He is a catholic man who grew up in an orphanage and he has made a collection of Christmas Carols in which he includes a book which tells how each carol came to be. He spent years researching and getting copyrights. He also includes a book on artwork which has artwork from the same period I believe the song or carol was written.

He said he loved carols as a boy. Here is his site.

christmasclassics.com/

Well I pretty sure the French carols I sang in college madrigals were written by Catholics! “I Saw Three Ships”, “Torches, Torches”, “Strike the Torch, Jeannette, Isabella” Not that whose are popular ones any more (i.e., in the last several centuries), but I still love them.

Anyone know about the author of Cantique d’ Noel (O Holy Night)? I got a good story about that… my daughter was asked to sing at a Christmas service, picked that, and learned the words in French. (She had like 6 years of French in her jr. and sr. high school.) She told us that the French word translated “weary” in “a weary world rejoices” has a lot stronger meaning than just “tired”… it’s closer to “despairing, hopeless”. Knowing that, I like the song even more.

Actually, Father Mohr wrote the music but the lyrics were written by Franz Gruber, a Catholic. As an aside, Franz Gruber’s great great, great (I think that is the right amount of “greats”) grandson is Father Mark Gruber O.S.B. with whom I am sure many posters in the midwest are familiar. Father Mark is a well known and respected Benedictine priest from St. Vincent’s in Latrobe PA. and frequently serves as a retreat master. His cousin, also a “Gruber” is presently a seminarian at St. Paul’s in Pittsburgh.

I love Christmas…

As a former Protestant, this will be my first Christmas Mass, actually. I will not be able to take Communion still, of course, but at least I will be there in his Presence and know what to look forward to…

I attend the Baptist church of my parents with them also on Sundays, but without fail make Mass either Saturday or Sunday, rain or shine. Some of my best friends are at First Baptist, though, and some of the strongest Christians I know. I can’t tell you how glad I was to hear Mary being mentioned. I was lifting my hands and singing wholeheartedly with “What Child Is This?” It moved me and reminded me of Mary’s role in the Incarnation and in our lives. I mentioned her example in constantly saying “Yes” to God the other day in Sunday school, about how we can learn from her discipleship. It wasn’t Catholic or Romish, just true. And I think it moved some peeps. The teacher even thanked me for sharing this after class.

Why should they? They don’t mind quoting the New Testament which was entirely written, edited and selected by Catholics. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.