Christmas Cookies!

What kinds of cookies are you making this year?

I make:

Chocolate dipped macaroons

Walnut thumbprints

French Butter Creams

Peanut butter cups

Double chocolate dreams

Cream Wafers

sugar cookies to decorate with the kids

Plus, many, many more!

Is there one special cookie you just have to make each year?

Mine is a recipe from my great-grandmother for Raisin Filled cookies. I hope to make them this year, but they take a very long time ( most of a day ) and with a baby…I don’t get that kind of time. So, we might have to do without them this year.

I make candy too, so chime in about your candy making as well:thumbsup:

Here's my list (and no, I'm not done baking them all yet!)

Pfeffernuesse
Pecan crescents
Chocolate fudge cake mix cookies
Strawberry jammies
Butter Jewels (peach and strawberry filled)
Oatmeal Cranberry cookies
Lemon Hazelnut thumbprints
Sunflower seed cookies
Gingersnaps
Chocolate mint Christmas trees
White Chocolate Cherry Chunkies
Sugar cookies
Stained-glass window cookies
Candy cane cookies
Chocolate-pecan raspberry thumbprints

And one kind of candy:
Cappuccino pecan nuggets

I make a cookie box each year for all my co-workers and good friends and family. It's amazing how quickly 150+ dozen cookies can go! But I love doing it!

duh, recipes ladies, please

I really want that capuccino pecan thingy office staff is going nuts here

So far:

cookies

Snickerdoodles
Chocolate chip
Blackberry filled thumb prints
Mint chip
Cream cheese cookies

candy

Chocolate fudge
Chocolate peanut butter pinwheels

More this coming week so I can take them around to the neighbors.

Probably

coconut date balls
red velvet cookies
lemon crescents
pumpkin cookies
sugar cookies
praline sandwhich cookies
white chocolate lemon cookies

and more candy

peppermint bark
bourbon balls
white chocolate truffles
chocolate butterscotch fudge

I have to have the recipe for White Chocolate Cherry Chunkies and Chocolate-pecan raspberry thumbprints, please!! They sound so yummy!

I'm not even close to being done. I've been making candy today. Just finished Almond bark, still have truffles to do and fudge. And I still have lots of cookies to make too. I counted and I need enough to make 16 trays to give as gifts, plus some for Christmas Eve with the out-laws, I mean in-laws:D, plus for Santa and I'd like some here too! Have to have the gift trays done this weekend to give to the RE teachers from our kids. :eek:

Oh my goodness! You ladies are ambitious.
I will be lucky to get 3or 4 batches of my "never-fail" fudge made.

None

A nice Greek lady at work is making me a large pan of baklava to take to my boyfriend’s families home - only charging me for the ingredients.

Cappuccino-Pecan Nuggets (makes 3 dozen)

(don't be intimidated--it's actually very easy!)

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tblsp. instant espresso/coffee (dry)
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
12 oz. vanilla flavored candy coating, chopped (I use Wilton's Candy Melts)
12 vanilla caramels
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tblsp. heavy whipping cream
72 large pecan halves
10-12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 Tblsp. shortening

Line 8- or 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil, leaving 1 inch of foil overhanging. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Mix brown sugar and espresso in 8-cup microwavable measure. Stir in condensed milk. Microwave, uncovered, on high 2-3 minutes, stirring every minute, until boiling. Stir in candy coating until melted. Pour into pan. Refrigerate uncovered about 30 minutes or until firm. Remove from pan and cut into 36 squares.

Place caramels, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and whipping cream in 2-cup microwaveable measure. Microwave on medium 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring every minute until mixtrue is almost melted. Stir until smooth. Refrigerate uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring once or twice until it holds its shape and is cool enough to handle.

Line cookie sheet with waxed paper. For each nugget, roll 1/2 teaspoon caramel-chocolate mixture into ball. Sandwich between two pecan halves, flattening ball slightly between bottom sides of pecan halves. Flatten and shape one square of espresso mixture evenly around pecan cluster. Roll between hands to form ball (if it gets sticky, dust lightly with powdered sugar.) Place on cookie sheet. Repeat to form 36 nuggets. Refrigerate about 15 minutes or until firm.

Place chocolate chips and shortening in dry microwaveable bowl or 4-cup measure (any water in the measure will cause chocolate to harden.) Microwave, uncovered, on medium 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute until chocolate is almost melted. Stir until smooth. Dip 1 nugget at a time, using fork, until coated (when removing nugget from chocolate, lightly tap bottom of fork on edge of bowl and draw fork across bowl to remove excess.) Place on foil-lined cookie sheet. Immediately sprinkle with finely chopped pecans or dust with mixture of equal parts instant espresso and cocoa powder. Drizzle some with remaining melted chocolate if desired. Refrigerate about 10 minutes or until set. Serve at room temp. Store in airtight container.

White Chocolate Cherry Chunkies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
3/4 cup candied cherries, chopped
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips (no more or they will be too sweet)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

In medium bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until just combined.

Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add milk to the butter mixture and then add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.

In another bowl, combine nuts, cherries and white chocolate chips. Add to batter, stirring only enough to blend.
Drop by heaping Tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake for approximately 11-13 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Chocolate-Pecan Raspberry Thumbprints (makes 3 dozen)

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened (or shortening)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
seedless raspberry jam
1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.

Place pecans in shallow dish. Roll 1 tablespoon dough into 1-inch ball, then roll in pecans, pressing to adhere. Repeat with remaining dough. Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Make indentation in center of each ball and fill with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Bake about 10 minutes until set. Cool 5 minutes on sheets then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Drizzle cookies with melted chocolate and let sit until chocolate hardens about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container at room temp for 3 days.

Wow, you ladies sound like professional bakers! All those cookies!

I MIGHT make:

Oreo Cheesecake Cookies (recipe on www.tastykitchen.com)

Some butter shortbread sticks with craisins in them, one end dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with chopped pistachios (no special recipe - I'll see how it goes as I work)

And then I'll probably search www.foodgawker.com for something really easy. The other day I saw one with only egg whites, sugar and nuts. Sounded good to me.

Betsy

I'm nearly done with my baking for this year and here's what I did:
White chocolate and hazelnut cookies, the only ones that are not traditionally German
Spekulatius, very spicy and of a dark brown colour
Spritzgebäck, very sweet and buttery, comes in odd shapes
Vanillekipferl, half moon shaped crumbly things with lots of vanilla and caster sugar
Hazelnutmacroons
Coconutmacroons

And I still want to do Husarenkrapfen, which are filled with jam

Hopefully, all that bounty survives till Christmas, sometimes I think I'm living with a bunch of Cookiemonsters!:D

Hmm, now that the kids are gone and DH is diabetic I don't bake much. Usually a batch of Shortbread and some caramel squares to have on hand to serve to visitors.

Yesterday I bought phyllo dough and am going to try my hand at baklava for our New Year's dinner which, due to a New Year's Eve wedding in our surrogate family, will be on January 2nd.

making:
Raspberry linzer (my favorite)
Mexican wedding cakes (my other favorite)
sugar cutouts

peppermint bark
english toffee with hazelnuts

Making dough today gonna bake tomorrow!

Might make some shortbread fo DH if he is nice.

Oh yeah I have a bunch of dates I want to use....any suggestions ladies?

[quote="Hoernchen, post:12, topic:222874"]
I'm nearly done with my baking for this year and here's what I did:
White chocolate and hazelnut cookies, the only ones that are not traditionally German
Spekulatius, very spicy and of a dark brown colour
Spritzgebäck, very sweet and buttery, comes in odd shapes
Vanillekipferl, half moon shaped crumbly things with lots of vanilla and caster sugar
Hazelnutmacroons
Coconutmacroons

And I still want to do Husarenkrapfen, which are filled with jam

Hopefully, all that bounty survives till Christmas, sometimes I think I'm living with a bunch of Cookiemonsters!:D

[/quote]

what is the square dark rather hard cookie with an almond in the center
and the round molasses cookie, soft, with red jelly in the center and sprinkled with sugar
our German bakery used to make them and I miss them

my blood sugar is going up just reading this thread

my sister slices the dates open halfway with a sharp knife, inserts an almond or pecan half, squeezes it "shut" and dusts with powedered sugar

I don't do a lot of cookies, though one boy is asking for chocolate chip.

I have made strawberry marshmallows, vanilla marshmallows, chocolate covered pretzels, and Bethlehem "salami" (a confection made of condensed milk, chocolate, and crushed vanilla wafers). The ladies at church had a baklava party that I missed, but I got some of the finished product, anyway.

I would like to still make some sugar cookies and divinity (Betsy's eggwhites, sugar, and nuts) but I have to get some pecans first.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.