Christmas decorations and music, When?

In the last few days before Thanksgiving there are some Christmas decorations that have started to appear on a few homes and I have found at least one radio station that has already starting playing holiday tunes, even as early as 12 days ago. Christmas coming too early kind of irritates me. I enjoy having Advent to slowly get into the Christmas spirit. I am single and live alone in an apartment. I keep an advent wreath on my table. I hang a wreath on my door with a purple bow. I don't put up my tree until after the winter solstice. I will not listen to Christmas until that time either. On Christmas eve I will get rid of my advent wreath and change my table decorations, and the bow on my door wreath will change to gold. I leave my tree up until the day after the Baptism of the Lord. When does Christmas begin for you?

I know what you mean about Advent... honestly we should wait until late Christmas Eve to put up the tree. Otherwise why celebrate if Jesus hasn't been born yet?

This is the way our secular culture handles religous holidays: They begin before they really begin and they end just as they’re really getting started. Christmas begins on Christmas Day. Easter begins on Easter Sunday. Yet, in our secular culture, these holidays end on those days, after which all decorations are promptly removed.

Don’t be too hard on people who have decorated their lawns already, though. Some people just want to take advantage of the warmer weather in case it gets too cold later on.

It will officially begin on Friday when we decorate the house and put up the first of our 2 trees. However, tomorrow (Wednesday) the outdoor lights will be put on the house. Thursday night they will be turned on for the first time. I’m not sure when the second tree will go up - either this Saturday or a week from.

My 16 year old has been listening to Christmas music on his iPod for several days already. We did our first “holiday” baking last night. We will bake more cookies on Wednesday (at least that is my plan).

The “BIG” school choir concert in the second week in December.

[quote="Catholic90, post:4, topic:177399"]
It will officially begin on Friday when we decorate the house and put up the first of our 2 trees. However, tomorrow (Wednesday) the outdoor lights will be put on the house. Thursday night they will be turned on for the first time. I'm not sure when the second tree will go up - either this Saturday or a week from.

My 16 year old has been listening to Christmas music on his iPod for several days already. We did our first "holiday" baking last night. We will bake more cookies on Wednesday (at least that is my plan).

The "BIG" school choir concert in the second week in December.

[/quote]

Who can wait for Christmas cookies? :D

We usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving simply because that's when we have the time to do so (and because my wife really likes Christmas decorations and Christmas music and couldn't bear to wait ;)). There are certain other "Advent" things we do to keep with the season.

:christmastree1:Personal opinion: I think the decorations and music CAN be part of a sincere Advent season. We use them to remind ourselves and others by sight, sound, taste and sometimes smell that Christmas is coming and we are preparing for it. All these things point to the feast and that fact is hard to ignore when the decorations and music have been added to our environment. If we are overly affected by the commercial aspect, then that is something to work on in our spiritual life.

After the 25th, the decorations, music, food, help us reflect on what we have just celebrated and continue to celebrate, and the awesome effect that event had on the history of the world.

[quote="kujayhawk, post:6, topic:177399"]
:christmastree1:Personal opinion: I think the decorations and music CAN be part of a sincere Advent season. We use them to remind ourselves and others by sight, sound, taste and sometimes smell that Christmas is coming and we are preparing for it. All these things point to the feast and that fact is hard to ignore when the decorations and music have been added to our environment. If we are overly affected by the commercial aspect, then that is something to work on in our spiritual life.

After the 25th, the decorations, music, food, help us reflect on what we have just celebrated and continue to celebrate, and the awesome effect that event had on the history of the world.

[/quote]

I agree. Much of the decorating and whatnot is in the realm of personal piety. There is no Church mandate on when one should put up their tree. So long as whatever we choose to do is done with the liturgical year in mind, we should be fine. That could mean waiting to put up the tree till Christmas Eve, putting up the tree but waiting to decorate it, putting up the tree and decorating it but waiting to put the star on top, or even putting up the tree and decorating it (star and all) and simply bearing in mind that we are still anticipating Christmas. There's no "right" answer.

For those interested, the Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy (96-105) gives us a good reference point for celebrating Advent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.