Christmas dessert?

I'm taking dessert to my brother's on Christmas Eve. He makes pretty filling dinners. What's a nice, light dessert? Something Christmasy?

I just made these cookies tonight cooks.com/rec/view/0,1922,155182-243205,00.html but I use three dots of red icing instead of red hots for the holly berries.

A nice gingerbread cake with fresh whipped cream is always yummy!

Angel Food Cake

I agree with the gingerbread suggestion...it is yummy!!

Ambrosia is a pretty nice dessert we have ample supply of down here. Its basically just whipped cream, a boysenberry yogurt, marshmellows and berries mixed together, you can add flaked chocolate, served chilled.

Its light, refreshes the palate, and just an all round great time.

Not sure of your climate though, America, probably cold right?

yes, cold
unless you are in florida, texas, or california!

I am a sucker for those dishes made with jello, coolwhip, fruit and additions such as nuts or fruit. the one with pistachio pudding, coolwhip, baby marshmallows (yes), and crushed pineapple, and I think nuts is a family tradition (DH’s family not mine, my dad would not have tolerated such a thing but it is my secret vice).

ambrosia is also a staple for holidays here, but I most often see it with coolwhip, drained mandarin oranges, chopped walnuts or pecans, and shredded coconut. I used to make it w/o the coolwhip but it seems to be mandatory here.

a fruit compote would be easy and most welcome after a somewhat heavy meal.
or a fruit tray with the dip (like at Jason’s deli) which I think is yogurt mixed with jelly

while we are on the holiday meal topic, best punch I ever drank
canned seeded bing cherries were soaked for weeks in brandy, then the cherries put in the bottom of the punch bowl, and chillled champagne poured on top. each glass held a cherry and champagne, bite into the cherry–wow

Creme brulee? It takes some work, but the result is awesome.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:7, topic:223461"]

while we are on the holiday meal topic, best punch I ever drank
canned seeded bing cherries were soaked for weeks in brandy, then the cherries put in the bottom of the punch bowl, and chillled champagne poured on top. each glass held a cherry and champagne, bite into the cherry--wow

[/quote]

Adding this to my recipe file. Sounds elegant and delicious. Thanks!

My favorite Christmas time treat is Divinity. But if you haven't made it before it can be a bit tricky to get it to harden. Using older eggs was my grandmas trick for making them harden.

I'm okay with pumpkin pie at Christmas. Some of the frozen brands are pretty good, if you don't feel like making one. (My Mom orders them in avance, from a local bakery).

Excellent idea! :thumbsup:

But must emphasize the FRESH and REAL whipped cream, no fake stuff out of a tub or squirted out of a can. :stuck_out_tongue: If you can’t whip cream one day out of the year then don’t bother.

A nice gingerbread cake with fresh whipped cream - Mmmmmmmmmm!!! :smiley:

~Liza

Gingerbread sounds festive and easy. :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

How about creme de menthe parfait with a red cherry on top? In the South we usually had angel food cake and ambrosia which was fresh oranges and coconut.

[quote="lizaanne, post:12, topic:223461"]
Excellent idea! :thumbsup:

But must emphasize the FRESH and REAL whipped cream, no fake stuff out of a tub or squirted out of a can. :p If you can't whip cream one day out of the year then don't bother.

A nice gingerbread cake with fresh whipped cream - Mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!! :D

~Liza

[/quote]

Oh, absolutely fresh! My mother wouldn't let me serve any other kind! Nor would I want to! ;)

I love the gingerbread/whipped cream idea. Here's another - very easy and loved by just about all:

Andes Mint Bundt Cake

Add one small box of instant chocolate pudding to your favorite chocolate or devil's food cake mix. Add other ingredients as directed on the box. Break up half a package of Andes mints, and stir the broken pieces into the batter. Pour into a greased bundt pan and bake as directed. Cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, and then turn out of the pan. While the cake is still warm, put the other Andes mints around the top of the cake, allowing them to melt. When melted, spread the mints like frosting.

This is absolutely delicious and very easy. If you like chocolate and mint, you'll love this cake! Very festive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.