Christmas gift for a Nun?

My daughter entered the convent this past summer (Franciscan/Dominican Order) I was wondering what I could give her as a Christmas gift. I can’t ask her, as she can only write a letter once a month and no other forms of communication are allowed. With the vow of poverty; is there anything I can send her?

Have some Masses said for her !

[quote="105lynne, post:2, topic:266416"]
Have some Masses said for her !

[/quote]

That was also my first thought. Or perhaps make a donation to the order in her name. By the way- just curious can you explain Fransiscan/ Dominican order?

the best gifts are personal items and toiletries that represent an ongoing expense. The will undoubtedly be shared, but benefit the entire community as well as the recipient who will probably be allowed to use the gift with the understanding it really belongs to the community Ireligious articles etc.) Nothing that could be termed a cosmetic, but plain items like those for sensitive skin: lotion, body wash,shampoo etc.

be very careful about food gifts, especially those fresh fruit, meat etc. since their diet may be limited by their rule or health concerns.

Gift cards and cash will most certainly be turned over to the order but a gift card for groceries from a local store, or local chain drugstore will be useful, but again, not for the personal use of the recipient necessarily, although some will allow a personal gift from a family member to be kept and used.

Almost all priests and religious will welcome a gift in their name to the order or to the charitable activities of their order.

[quote="64bob, post:1, topic:266416"]
My daughter entered the convent this past summer (Franciscan/Dominican Order) I was wondering what I could give her as a Christmas gift. I can’t ask her, as she can only write a letter once a month and no other forms of communication are allowed. With the vow of poverty; is there anything I can send her?

[/quote]

If you want a book from a Saint, I would advice St. Theresa of Avila or St. John of Cross. Or this Pope's book: Jesus Christ. Another great was would Anthony de Mello, Sadhana, a way to God (it is excelent, tries to blend western and eastern meditation practices. Do not be alarmed by the adivices that de Mello might be dangerous. He is not)

But if it were I, I would give her my favorite book of the psychiatrist from Austria Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for a Meaning.

I have one cloistered nun in my life. She (and the rest of the nuns) really appreciate it when I bake for them. Religious books and rosaries (although they have tons)always go over well too.

Has she taken a vow of poverty (sine proprio)? If so it may be more appropriate to gt a communal gift. Baking is a great idea.:thumbsup:

I was thinking Food for the Poor, you can purchase it in her name. You can buy a goat for $90, water pump for a village $205, feed a family for a month for only $12, there are gifts from $5-up. A missionary priest came to our church a couple of months ago to talk to us about this wonderful charitable organization.

My daughter has a friend who just entered a Carmelite order in Spain in November, you must be so proud of your daughter!! God bless you and your family.

Good ideas thanks visit her order at sisterserventsorg BIrmingmham Al

A green plant is nice. The entire community can enjoy it.

[quote="chris138, post:8, topic:266416"]
I was thinking Food for the Poor, you can purchase it in her name. You can buy a goat for $90, water pump for a village $205, feed a family for a month for only $12, there are gifts from $5-up. A missionary priest came to our church a couple of months ago to talk to us about this wonderful charitable organization.

My daughter has a friend who just entered a Carmelite order in Spain in November, you must be so proud of your daughter!! God bless you and your family.

[/quote]

This sounds like great advice! I was going to suggest sponsoring a child in another country, maybe through the Christian Children's Fund.

God bless!

You could either get her a gift card for food (I suggest you find out which stores are the closest to her order as well as where they shop) or you could find out what types of groceries her order needs and make an order for them. You could also give them a cheque which they could either put towards the needs of the community or other charitable things they are involved in.

Nonperishable food as well as gifts of money are generally the best gifts for religious orders.

[quote="64bob, post:1, topic:266416"]

[/quote]

Warm socks. Very large amount of mom cookies so she can share with all the Sisters and others, as well.

I think you already gave her the best present, ever. A great mom.

Maybe multiples on the socks to share around, too.

My aunt always liked a roll of stamps and stationery :)

How about a gift certificate to a local greenhouse or nursery? This could assist in the creation and/or maintenance of a garden.

Since she has taken a vow of poverty, the best gift you might be able to give her is to pray a novena for her or increase your daily prayers on her behalf. Maybe attend daily Mass if you are not already.

What was I thinking? I should have known. I am blessed beyond my understanding. Last night when I got home from work my wife was deep into preparation of gifts. These gifts for my daughter and also our adopted daughters (the 19 other sisters) of the convent were spread out on a large table. My wife had many of your selections; body lotion, soap, lip balm, stamps and numerous other things. She even stenciled gift bags and personalized cards for each sister. All is taken care of with the exception of me shipping the rather large box. As for me, I think I will write a heart felt letter to my daughter. Something with more then just the news of the week and I hope to explain to her just how proud we are of her and how much I love her. Thank you all for your suggestions and I will act on praying a novena for all the sisters.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.