Christmas Kalenda Proclamation

I remember once up in North fork which is a rural town in the Central Valley of California my cousin had a friend over that was pretty radical.

He had a lot to drink because that’s what people do up in North Fork and he kept going on about how man was not made from monkey and that we all need to read the King James Bible.

He also thought the skater star on my brothers Avril Lavigne album was satanic…

This was back in the early 2000s like circa 2003 maybe.

0 Likes

I would love to have been a fly on the wall to see that…
“If the KJB was good enough for Jesus and the Apostles, it’s good enough for me!”

Lord I’m sorry about that right there… That’s just wrong to laugh at rank ignorance.

2 Likes

I believe in that same night talked about how Jesus covers us with his cloak and brings us before his Father.

Really what he was saying is that Jesus covers us up with his cloak and sneaks us passed His angry Father.

So basically the Lutheran perspective that we are heaps of dung that are covered in God’s grace.

Grace is just a heavenly air freshener.

This is why I believe in Purgatory…

Anyways I don’t want to derail the thread on that topic but that was the rest of the conversation that I recall from that night.

0 Likes

I asked the librarian (monk) I work with today. He says they use the modern one (French translation).

He said he preferred the modern; the old one can be misinterpreted as religious fundamentalism, in his opinion.

2 Likes

Thanks friend, tell him thanks!

Those are my exact sentiments.

0 Likes

Is that standard Benedictine monastic practice? I thought (and know I could very well be wrong) that it was proclaimed at the end of Matins of the Nativity, which, of course, is anticipated on the night of 24th immediately prior to Midnight Mass.

If your abbey is chanting it after Lauds on 24th December that is still Advent. I though the Kalenda was done at the start of the Nativity Octave. I also know it is from the Martyrology (which used to be read at Chapter immediately after Prime) and that is anticipated, i.e. saints and beati for, say, 2nd June are read out on 1st June.

I am not saying your abbey is wrong. I am certain it is not (they are the experts after all, not me). I am simply asking out of curiosity because I am trying to learn as much as I can about Benedictine monasticism. Sometimes, the more I learn the more complex it all becomes.

0 Likes

It’s actually according to the Rubrics of the Roman Martyrology, of which the proclamation of the Nativity is part of. The Martyrology (of which I have a copy, in Latin, the most recent editions which BTW I noted for chant), has rubrics for the recitation of the Martyrology as part of the Liturgy of the Hours either after Lauds, or one of the Minor Hours, or for recitation outside the Liturgy of the Hours. However the abbey does the Martyrology reading normally outside the LOTH, as one of the refectory readings before lunch, but they do the Nativity proclamation immediately after Lauds.

Yes, the Martyrology for any given saint or feast is always proclaimed by anticipation the day before.

This is one of those things that would not be specifically Benedictine, but would be in the Customarium of each individual abbey, since the rubrics of the Martyrology themselves allow latitude on when to proclaim the Martyrology (including the Nativity proclamation).

What is specifically Benedictine is the use of the Monastic martyrology, which emphasizes monastic saints and leaves out some minor non-monastic saints. It was published by Solesmes in 1977. Our abbey has recently updated it and re-issued it in its own private edition to include Canadian saints and newly-added saints. I have a copy and it’s what I use. I normally read my commented chapter of the Rule, and the next day’s Martyrology, just prior to Compline.

0 Likes

Again I have learnt something new. It was my understanding the Benedictines did not have their own Martyrology and so instead used the Roman one. I have been looking at a lot of websites recently so cannot recall which one I read that on. As it was an easy fact to remember I did not bother noting the site as I believed it to be also true.

0 Likes

It’s long out of print alas. It’s listed on Amazon though:

https://www.amazon.com/Martyrologe-romain-Adaptation-française-monastique/dp/2852740524

It’s basically the Roman Martyrology translated to French, with monastic adaptations. I’d been scouring the 'net for years for a copy. Then when the abbey produced their own internal update, I was graciously given a copy of the PDF files and used my limited desktop publishing capabilities to publish it in booklet form, one booklet for each half of the year.

I also have the latest edition of the Roman Martyrology, it’s a beautiful bound large book with ribbons, in Latin.

You might guess from all this that I’m a bit of a liturgy geek…

0 Likes

I just stumbled upon this older article by Jimmy Akin where he dissects the timeline in both versions of the Proclamation. I found it particularly interesting, especially the conclusion about the accuracy.

1 Like

I think it is a good change.

There are countless mystical aspects to the prayers used in the Mass and the Divine Liturgy- the specific expression of a young Earth history is just too hard to swallow given our knowledge of the dynamics of evolution, geology, astronomy etc.

1 Like

Should we ask the OP what he thinks of the Flood and the ark? How about Adam and Eve? What science says about these, versus what the Church teaches?

0 Likes

Worse yet, nature is supposed to be part of God’s self-revelation to us. If close and careful study of that self-revelation over centuries consistently yields misleading, faulty, or unreliable information from which no accurate conclusions can be drawn, that says something very scary about God and what He intends for us to learn about Himself from the general revelation, and it calls into question the reliability of the special revelation as well.

1 Like

closed #54

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.