Christmas Mass Music

Hi,
I play the harp and will be playing at Christmas mass this year. Please leave any suggestions of pieces that I could play for the entrance, communion, offertory etc. Also, if you find any suitable free sheet music online, that would help!
Thanks very much and have a lovely Christmas! :slight_smile:

[quote="TheHarper, post:1, topic:306958"]
Hi,
I play the harp and will be playing at Christmas mass this year. Please leave any suggestions of pieces that I could play for the entrance, communion, offertory etc. Also, if you find any suitable free sheet music online, that would help!
Thanks very much and have a lovely Christmas! :)

[/quote]

This is really a question for the music director at the church where you'll be playing, don't you think?

I agree with the above. If there is a music director or someone similar in charge of choosing the music for the mass, I would defer to them and find out what has been chosen. In fact, I would be surprised if no music has been chosen yet for it. However, I do know that some parishes don't really have anyone "in charge", per say, and have been involved with some parishes where they would leave it up to the hired musicians to choose the music for these special masses. Is the church allowing you to choose the music on your own? Will be working with other instrumentalists or by yourself?

You can get free sheet music for Christmas and other occasions at free-scores.com/index_uk.php3

You will need to be able to view PDF files to view them and print them. At least some of the songs have been scored for a harp. You do noot have give any personal information to use the site.

Our music director matches the music to the liturgical readings. So The Childreens Christmas Mass opens different than the midnight mass .... And different from Christmas Day mass

Example x-mas day
GATHERING: Come all you Faithful ( it's the year of faith :))

PSALM RESPONSE:

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION: Respond & Acclaim

PRESENTATION: Instrumental

HOLY ACCLAMATION: Mass of Christ the Savior

MEMORIAL ACCLAMATION: Mass of Christ the Savior

AMEN: Mass of Christ the Savior

OUR FATHER: Spoken/Sung

FRACTION RITE/Lamb of God: Mass of Christ the Savior

COMMUNION PROCESSIONAL: Lo How A Rose A Blooming

DISMISSAL: Joy to the World

[quote="Giggly_Giraffe, post:5, topic:306958"]
So The Childreens Christmas Mass opens . . .

[/quote]

Is that a portmanteau of "children" and "teens"? I love it.

It really depends on the parish on what music will be played. If your parish has a Children's Mass, then there may be different music than the Midnight Mass, Mass at Dawn, and Mass During the Day. The way our parish does it is the music for the vigil is the same music used for the Christmas day Masses, and Midnight Mass has its own music. The music might have already been picked for those Masses, so it's best to consult your pastor on who's planning or has planned the music. If you yourself are planning, then here's some suggestions:

Processional Hymn: O Come, All Ye Faithful
Preparation of the Gifts: Angels We Have Heard on High
Communion Hymn: Away in a Manger
Meditation Hymn: Silent Night, Holy Night
Recessional Hymn: Joy to the World

Christmas Masses are a really good time to use the Christmas hymns and carols that everyone knows. People who normally attend Mass only on Christmas and Easter will likely be able to join in with these hymns rather than ones that aren't played on the local radio station. :D

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.