Christmas Mass Question

Hello To all. I am asking this question out of curiosity, I noticed that there are 4 options for readings for Christmas, Vigil mass, Mass During the Night, Mass at Dawn and Mass During the Day. I was wondering what are the time limits for those. I am guessing the children's mass held around 4 will use the readings for the vigil mass, While the 8 or 9 Pm and Midnight mass will use the night. However On Christmas day there is usally as mass at 9 and 11 (en espanol) What readings will be used then. The times I gave are examples from mass times last year but I am looking for the time lines if necessary as to what Constitutes , Vigil, Night, Dawn and Day
Thanks and God Bless
Taylor

The rubrics, especially for the Mass during the day, give the option to substitute readings, so you might get readings you're not expecting. But, generally, my guidelines would be 4:00-7:00 vigil, 8:00-5:00 A.M. Mass during the night, 6:00-9:00 Mass at dawn, and 10:00 on Mass during the Day.

My experience, in more than a dozen parishes, is that the Christmas Eve Masses use the Mass During the Night readings. I've never experienced a true Vigil of Christmas.

Many of the parishes also used the Midnight Mass readings for the day Masses, common when the same priest is giving the homily at each Mass.

[quote="Phemie, post:3, topic:305400"]
My experience, in more than a dozen parishes, is that the Christmas Eve Masses use the Mass During the Night readings. I've never experienced a true Vigil of Christmas.

Many of the parishes also used the Midnight Mass readings for the day Masses, common when the same priest is giving the homily at each Mass.

[/quote]

Yeah. I've seen the Mass During the Night readings used for all Christmas Masses as well.

My parish usually does the readings for the Vigil Mass at the 5:00 p.m. vigil and the Night readings at Midnight Mass and both the Mass at 8:30 a.m. "dawn" and 11:00 a.m. "day".

One year they did the Vigil readings at the Vigil and Midnight, which was a little odd, but there are options.

Here's a link to the options:

catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/1998USL-Christmas.htm

And here is a lengthy, but thorough, response to your question answered by an expert:

zenit.org/article-27775?l=english

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.