Christmas Midnight Mass EF form

what are the differences, if any, between the Midnight Mass and a normal Sunday garden variety High Mass.

I know the Easter one is different. Also what are the timings of it.

The time.

The Midnight Mass, like the Vigil, the Mass at Dawn and Mass during the day, have their own propers (Introit, Collect, Epistle, Gradual, Gospel, Offertory, Secret, Communion and Postcommunion.

Is any High Mass really “garden variety”?

About the only difference I can remember from way back when and, yes, even unto today was that there was silence in church until the twelfth bell sounded Midnight and the choir chanted the Hodie (and I do mean the chant).

The Triduum, however, was different.

As far as the liturgical items (Introit, Gospel, etc), they are all proper to Christmas. Obviously, the Preface of the Nativity would be used, The only real change from what happens on most Sundays are some minor alterations in the Canon, but since in the EF it’s recited in a low voice by the Priest, the person in the pew wouldn’t be aware of this.

The only external difference is the time it’s celebrated. Traditionally in the EF, Mass could not be commenced before dawn or after noon. This discipline was changed for good pastoral reasons by Pius XII.

The tradition in the Roman Rite of Midnight Mass on Christmas certainly did not begin with Pius XII. There were (and are) 3 Masses for Christmas, each with its own Proper: midnight, dawn, and during the day. That was true long before the days of Eugenio Pacelli.

Are you thinking of his change moving the Holy Week ceremonies to evening?

As I recall mass was restricted to beginning after mid-night not after dawn.

Well, it takes one back to the events in the Garden of Gethsemane, and corrects some errors from the Garden of Eden. :smiley:

Right, I think maybe Christmas has its own Communicantes. And though not part of the Mass, there might be a procession, a blessing of the Creche, the Proclamation, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.