Christmas Music! When and what kind?

I thought it would be fun to hear everyone’s thoughts on Christmas music: what kind(s) do you enjoy, and when do you listen to it?

Please choose any and all options that apply to you and your family.

I’d also love to hear any comments or anecdotes or rants/raves, etc :smiley:

:harp:

I enjoy a large range Christmas music - not all, some of it is annoying. But my tastes are not limited to religious music, even though they are my preference. I particularly love hearing classical, traditional, and archaic music sung by children's choirs, and the big choral numbers too. I do relish in some of the cheesy secular music as well.

In my house, I limit the music to advent music during Advent. I wish I had more so I could listen more. I don't do this so much in avoidance of the Christmas music, as it is so that the Christmas stuff doesn't overpower the less compelling and less exciting Advent music that helps me experience the spirit of waiting and preparation. The advent music really is special to me and I look forward to it all year. We will practice Christmas Carols in song and on the piano. The Christmas music gets turned on in the house on Christmas Eve and will continue to Epiphany.

Outside of the house, I'll listen to Christmas music any time (well I probably can't stomach it before Advent).

So I'll get the more secular fare on the radio before Christmas. And the more religous music on CD during the Holiday.

In my ideal scenario, I would live in a culture that waited to do all things Christmas until Christmas day. I have tried avoiding all Christmas music during Advent just on my own, and the end result has been that I have felt like I never really felt that festive Christmas spirit. I am just too conditioned by all the mall-shopping I did in the Decembers of my youth, and there really is something to the anticipation of the big celebration that brings more excitement to all of that music. So after several years of not being sure what to do (I actually took this question pretty seriously), I decided on my compromise. So far so good. I have to say though - I don't shop in the mall anymore, and they don't play Christmas Carols in the stand alone stores that I've been in this season, so I still miss that festive feeling from my youth. If only there was time to wander aimlessly around the mall....or don't they play it there either anymore?

I used to wait until Christmas to listen to Christmas music, but by that point I had heard enough in stores and choir practice and other places that I just wasn't excited about it any more. So this year I have given up on that and went back to the after Thanksgiving rule.

As for what, I like most Christmas music. I generally prefer classics, both religious and non-religious, although traditional hymns are my favorite. I also really like the traditional hymns with a bit more modern beat. I also really love the Trans-Siberian Orchestra stuff! About the only thing I'm not a huge fan of are the really cheesy songs, just not my thing.

I like the classic Christmas carols when they are sung by older artists, like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin. I don't like the modern bozos trying to do the same songs and making it all fancy.

And the church hymns will never get old :)

I love traditional hymns, but have a very special place in my heart for a cd by the Carpenters, called "A Christmas Portrait". I just love their music. :o

I prefer religious Christmas carols. Give me "O come all ye faithful" over "Santa, Baby" anytime. I do like some secular music, particularly the family themed ones and some I cannot stand (Grandma got run over by a reindeer is the one I despise the most)

[quote="Snugglebugmom, post:5, topic:221990"]
I love traditional hymns, but have a very special place in my heart for a cd by the Carpenters, called "A Christmas Portrait". I just love their music. :o

[/quote]

I love their version of "Home for the Holidays" ... I think it's probably the best version that I've heard. Her voice is so well-suited to that song. :)

[quote="cthulhubryan, post:6, topic:221990"]
I prefer religious Christmas carols. Give me "O come all ye faithful" over "Santa, Baby" anytime. I do like some secular music, particularly the family themed ones and some I cannot stand (Grandma got run over by a reindeer is the one I despise the most)

[/quote]

I completely agree with you about the 'Grandma' song ... UGH! (We really need a 'retching' icon here, don't we? ;))

On the bright side: I haven't heard that one on the radio yet this year! :thumbsup:

[quote="Morwenna, post:1, topic:221990"]
I thought it would be fun to hear everyone's thoughts on Christmas music: what kind(s) do you enjoy, and when do you listen to it?

Please choose any and all options that apply to you and your family.

I'd also love to hear any comments or anecdotes or rants/raves, etc :D

:harp:

[/quote]

Thanks for asking. I thought I was the only person who listens to Xmas music outside the Xmas season. I am happy to know that there are others out there like me. :)

My favourites are the albums by Jim Reeves and Boney M.

I can thank my mother for my love of Christmas music. When I hear them it brings back fond memories of childhood, of coming home after school to my mum playing it, well, blaring it is more like. The heat of a New Zealand summer with Boney M. Christmas songs in the background, knowing I've got 6 weeks off till school starts again. Good times.

But I am a big fan of anything in Latin and the older styled Christmas songs. Really don't like secular music though, and some of the modern stuff is really quite hideous. And I do have to recuse myself, I don't like children's choirs.

My family likes to put on Christmas records during Thanksgiving dinner and we listen to it through Christmas day. I strongly prefer traditional hymns and anything recorded before about 1970. After that it just sounds too modern and junky. I think each Christmas carol has at least 100 modern pop versions and they all start to sound the same.

I listen to Christmas music starting the day after Halloween all the way through Epiphany. I like all kinds of Christmas music both religious and secular. I also like Christmas music of all musical genres. But I don't like obscene ones like "Christmas Tree by Lady GaGa".

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.