Christmas preparations

Hello everyone. As you all know, the prayers used during Advent are different now due to the nearness of Christmas Day. In the Philippines, we celebrate the nearby Feast of the Nativity by celebrating Misa de Gallo or Dawn Mass. These Masses have different prayers and readings from normal Advent Masses. The liturgical color is white and the Gloria in excelsis Deo is sung. This is approved solely for our country by the Vatican. So… in your areas what do you do to prepare for Christmas?

I am confused. Are you speaking about the Rorate Mass for Advent–the Mass of Our Lady, which uses white vestments, and is celebrated some before Christmas? (e did this in my parish last Saturday.) I have always heard the Midnight Mass of Christmas referred to as the Misa de Gallo, not any Advent Mass.

No, to be clearer it is celebrated from December 16 to December 24. It is a set of novena Masses done at dawn. Non-dawn Masses have the normal Advent liturgy.

Are you saying that every day for nine days the Mass is celebrated in white vestments and with the Gloria? Which mass is used?

I believe you may be referring to the Filipino custom of Simbang Gabi. That’s a 9 day pre-Christmas novena. I’m not overly familiar, but that’s my first thought.

This might help:

**4. Rubrics regarding “Aguinaldo Masses” at Dawn: **

a. For the Mass formulary, use the Common of the BVM in Advent (“Rorate Coeli Desuper”), Gloria, Advent Preface II *, white vestments.

The Supplement to the Roman Sacramentary provides us with the Mass formulary (liturgical texts), both the texts of the prayers and the Scriptural readings, for each day of the “Simbang Gabi”. It likewise says that, at these Masses, the “Gloria” is sung on the 3rd and 4th Sundays of Advent, white vestments are used even on Sunday, the church and sanctuary are festively decorated, and approved musical instruments are played, but only for the “Aguinaldo Mass” of that day.

b. The CBCP (Catholic Bishop’s Conference of the Philippines) has also approved to permanently assign to December 16 the readings for Friday of the Third Week of Advent: Is 56: 1-3, 6-8 and Jn 5: 33-36. On the other hand, the Ordo says that “in the spirit of the season, one may lawfully use in these Masses the Weekday Lectionary” (Roman Missal, General Guidelines 328).*

sites.google.com/site/tagalogliturgy/mga-direktiba/on-simbang-gabi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.