Christmas Shopping and Gifts are bad?

I have heard a lot of people complain that the Christmas season has become to commercialized. I suppose that is true to some degree, but is it completely true? I think this site states it very well:

jfpblog.wordpress.com/

What do you think?

It’s ADVENT that has become a commercialized shopping spree.

NOT Christmas.

adventconspiracy.org/

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:2, topic:179357"]
It's ADVENT that has become a commercialized shopping spree.

NOT Christmas.

[/quote]

That is a difference without a difference. :)

Christmas and Advent ARE world changing events…I do not buy into the myths that the seaons have become meaningless. I do not believe that gift giving takes away from Christmas, I think it reflects the verey spirit and essence of Christmas and of Advent.

No matter the money, no matter the hassles, no matter any of that, people still take time and effort to think of other people…that is the only time of the year most people do that and I welcome that 100%.

Could people pay more attention to the birth of Christ? Yes, of course.

I really like what you wrote and agree with what you said! :)

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! May it be truly blessed. :)

[quote="jjdrury81, post:3, topic:179357"]
adventconspiracy.org/

[/quote]

Sure - there definitely is a side of the commercialized Christmas that is out of control... but that doesn't mean that gift-giving or spending money, in and of itself, is wrong.
What's wrong is the focus, the meaning, the purpose of Christmas. If CHRIST is the focus, the gifts, the presents, the parties - all of that takes on a different meaning within a family.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:8, topic:179357"]
Sure - there definitely is a side of the commercialized Christmas that is out of control... but that doesn't mean that gift-giving or spending money, in and of itself, is wrong.
What's wrong is the focus, the meaning, the purpose of Christmas. If CHRIST is the focus, the gifts, the presents, the parties - all of that takes on a different meaning within a family.

[/quote]

Well said.

I will add that I have family members who claim to be atheists now...they were raised Catholics. They still celebrate Christmas and Easter. They still say Merry Christmas and Happy Easter...and I lovingly remind them that every time they use those words they are proclaiming the truth of Christ and they respond that they do not want to miss-out on the joy with their family. A very good thing indeed.

So, let the naysayers bash shopping and other things...yet something like 93% of Americans celebrate Christmas, and they do not call it "Solstice Day," they call it "Christmas." Many of them realize the word means "Christ Mass."

Try to imagine how much darker the world would get if we took away Christmas. Even our celebrations are no perfect, it is still a celebration of light and truth and redemption.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.