Christmas

can you tell me when and how the early christians first celebrated CHRISTMAS?

Here is a link I found for you. Hope it helps.

catholicity.com/encyclopedia/c/christmas.html

that is a terrific link, and makes the point that Epiphany was central to early celebrations of the Birth of the Lord. Recall also that when the calendar was changed so where the respective dates of Christmas, and Epiphany. The Gregorian calendar was accepted in the English speaking world only during colonial times, and early American letters, writers still speak of “old Christmas” referring to Jan 6, Epiphany. Epiphany was and still is the traditional day for exchanging gifts in many countries.

[quote=puzzleannie]that is a terrific link, and makes the point that Epiphany was central to early celebrations of the Birth of the Lord. Recall also that when the calendar was changed so where the respective dates of Christmas, and Epiphany. The Gregorian calendar was accepted in the English speaking world only during colonial times, and early American letters, writers still speak of “old Christmas” referring to Jan 6, Epiphany. Epiphany was and still is the traditional day for exchanging gifts in many countries.
[/quote]

The Epiphany was the day of the exchange of gifts? I thought that was done on December 6.

[quote=jimmy]The Epiphany was the day of the exchange of gifts? I thought that was done on December 6.
[/quote]

yes some countries, Holland was one don’t even know if they are religious any more, that celebrated St. Nicholas day and exchanged gifts, but many more countries did and still do celebrate 3 kings and that is the gift day, as they still do in Mexico, although that is changing in big cities and in America where Santa Etc. has caught on. Also the huge gift mega-extravaganza did not really begin until the mid-20th century, before that it was stockings and what they could hold, and perhaps one big thing like a sled or dollhouse, usually for all the children to share. Before that, small meaningful gifts were the rule.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.