Christmas

I have been trying to understand Christmas for some time. Unlike Easter it is a fixed season on the Calendar. Now there “Octave” days, whatever that means. And feast days. Are they octave days too? And Christmas “weekdays”. How many Christmas days and days are there is that Christmas holiday season? For those who really know this.

Here you go:

catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/blog/index.cfm?ID=237

Much of it depends on the Day of the week that Christmas falls on, and the need to celebrate the Feast of the Holy Family, Mary Mother of God, and the Epiphany.
She season of Christmas STARTS with Christmas day.

More great info here:
usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/christmas/

That first link is a nice site. The usccb I was just on and going through the daily liturgy. It was confusing. I didn’t even see the page in the link above. Thx

It opens fine for me. It shows a calendar and plenty of Christmas resources at the bottom, loads of links
Try this:
usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/christmas/

The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord is on a Monday in 2017? I thought it was always the Sunday after Epiphany? :hmmm:

Okay, just checked my Missal:

Where the Solemnity of the Epiphany is transferred to Sunday, if this Sunday occurs on January 7 or 8, the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord is celebrated on the following Monday.

So Epiphany is normally January 6th. In many locales (like the United States), it gets transferred to the Sunday after January 1st. The Baptism of the Lord is the Sunday after Epiphany—except when Epiphany falls on January 7th or 8th.

And I was looking forward to an extended Christmas season. :stuck_out_tongue:

To answer the OP, the Christmas Season starts on Christmas day and ends with the feast of the Baptism of the Lord. The day after the Baptism of the Lord is when Ordinary Time starts and the priests go back to wearing green vestments for Mass.

:thumbsup:

And Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon after Christmas.

ON OR AFTER March 21st. Big detail. :wink:

No, there are several full moons after Christmas and before Easter–in January, February and possibly March and even April. Easter is on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox–in other words, the first full moon of spring.

Oh yes sorry. I meant that. I forgot. I said Christmas. Oh I meant Spring. An old Pagan holiday too. First full moon after vernal eq.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.