Christ's church and His people?

Are Catholics the chosen people? I am curious about this and I was wondering what does God expect from us? Does He expect that little bit more? As the Church is Christ’s I can’t help but feel we would hurt Him that bit more when we sin?? Opinions please?

The church is the mystical body of Christ.

Who is a member of the mystical body ?

I suppose if your not in a state of mortal sin you might be considered to be part of the mystical body of Christ.

Am I right?

We should never use that term. It sounds arrogant.

Does He expect that little bit more? As the Church is Christ’s I can’t help but feel we would hurt Him that bit more when we sin??

Perhaps. As we have more knowledge of Christ’s teachings, we have more responsibility.

It’s not arrogant, it’s a term the Church often uses for the Collect during Mass. Are you claiming proclaiming your faith is arrogant?

I agree 100%, Paul. :thumbsup: That phrase should never be used.

There are people who have been shown Purgatory who say that because Catholics known more of the teachings and have been given more, they are held to a higher standard.

Hi, Therese!
…Catholics are the chosen people as far as we adhere to the tenet of Catholicism (Believers in Christ, part of the Mystical Body of Christ, adopted by God through our Faith in Jesus–St. John 1). If we search the root of this “election” and “chosen people” we would find that St. Paul expands on Yahweh God’s statement to Abraham (Abram your name is now Abraham because you will be a father of many nations) when he defines that some are children of Abraham through blood (nature) and others are children of Abraham through the Faith.

God expects us to be holy, for He is Holy!

…God expects far more than just “a bit more” as Jesus Tells us that our Justice must be greater than the Pharisees and doctors of the Law.

The Church, being the Mystical Body of Christ, is United with Christ; her children, Believers, are part of that same union–being many we are but one, in Christ; however, just as we can give Glory to God, as members of Christ, everyone one of us can also grieve God through our disobedience and sin.

Maran atha!

Angel

I was always told Gods ‘chosen people’ are the Jews/ and or Israel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.