Christ's divinity

Man, I wish I could just say Jesus is God and be 100% sure. Does anybody have any proof of Him besides the bible? something like reliable historical accounts that say He was real and ACTUALLY claimed to be divine? (you know how some people say that his claims to divinity are made up)

Christ is God, because he came form God. He is of the same substance as his Father. Divinity, plain and simple. You see the man Jesus Christ pre-existed as the Son of God before he became a man. He is the eternal Son of God. God of God as the Nicene creed declares.

Why do you need some other form of proof? The Scripture is clear that Jesus is both human and divine. However, there are some sources that mentioned the “Crestus” such as Pliny.

MaggieOH

[quote=gladtobe]Christ is God, because he came form God. He is of the same substance as his Father. Divinity, plain and simple. You see the man Jesus Christ pre-existed as the Son of God before he became a man. He is the eternal Son of God. God of God as the Nicene creed declares.
[/quote]

yes, but that’s blind faith. I’m looking for solid proof to base my faith on. animals do tricks with faith that you will give them food becuase you give them food. if you never game them any food, why would they do it?

Consider that the apostles not only wrote of Christ’s divinity, most of them went to their deaths for their new faith. Would they have done that, nearly all of them, if they had just made it up? Even during the vicious persecution of the early Church, we don’t have evidence of a single person who would have been in a position to know, claiming that what was taught about Christ was fraudulent.

Roman historian Pliny writes of revolts across the empire as a result of the “cult of Crestus”. Hebrew historian Josephus also writes many accounts of the sect of Christians. Here is an even better example. Most of the early believers of Christ were executed in the most horrific means imaginable defending their faith. People don’t suffer torture and death defending what they believe is a practical joke, a hoax, or what they know is a lie.

[quote=Box Car Racer]yes, but that’s blind faith. I’m looking for solid proof to base my faith on. animals do tricks with faith that you will give them food becuase you give them food. if you never game them any food, why would they do it?
[/quote]

To please their Master!

I don’t have any elaborate proof, but take into account that He was also foretold in prophecies of the Old Testement; of any other major religious figure, He’s the only pre-announced one unlike Buddah or Confucious for example.

Dei gratia,
Greyhawk

[quote=Box Car Racer]Man, I wish I could just say Jesus is God and be 100% sure. Does anybody have any proof of Him besides the bible? something like reliable historical accounts that say He was real and ACTUALLY claimed to be divine? (you know how some people say that his claims to divinity are made up)
[/quote]

Aand what makes you feel these are not reliable historical accounts? They were written by or at the direction of eye witnesses, and after being written, were psread throughout communities in which other eye wittnesses lived; had they been wrong, the other eyewitnesses would have pointed that out quickly. And in fact, there were other eyewitnesses who disagreed that He was both man and God; they were parts of the Jewish leadership, as well as numerous disciples who left Him (see, e.g. John:6). Over these accounts, and the witness given by eye witnesses for literally thousands of miles to numerous communities throughout the then-known world, tens of thousands of people believed and changed; and for that, numerous individuals went to their death in the attempt to supress the belief.

What type of witness are you looking for, if not that?

IF you are looking for modern day proof (such as media) you aren’t going to find it except by witnessing those who do believe. Don’t be a doubting Thomas and have some faith. There are many people whose faith carries them through the day to me that is more than enough proof. What makes parents who have lost a child go on, it is their faith, that is a great witness to God’s divinity. The knowledge that God loves me daily and he shows us this through our fellow beings. I hope you can open your heart to the daily witness of those around you and see that all is done only through Our Lord.

I think you should spend some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament and ask Him yourself.

[quote=Lorarose]I think you should spend some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament and ask Him yourself.
[/quote]

Box Car RacerMan, I wish I could just say Jesus is God and be 100% sure.

Or read the Bible?
John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 2:1-25; Ge 1:1; Pr 8:22-31; Eph 3:9; Col 1:17; Heb 1:10; 7:3; 13:8; Re 1:2,8; 2:8; 21:6; 22:13; Joh 14:1-31; 1Jo 1:1; 5:7;
Re 19:13;

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I Am.
Joh 1:1; 17:5,24; Pr 8:22-30; Isa 9:6; Mic 5:2; Col 1:17; Heb 1:10-12; 13:8; Re 1:11,17; 2:8

Josephus speaks of Jesus and so do many other historical records(even secular). If your faith is wavering perhaps you need His Word more than anything, and make sure you ask for His Holy Spirit to guide you into His truth. This is my prayer for you, Amen.

The Jewish Oral Tradition, the Talmud, records Jesus as a heretic who healed by “sorcery”. Obviously they didn’t believe in him or agree with his views, but they do record that he and his followers existed.

[quote=Ghosty]The Jewish Oral Tradition, the Talmud, records Jesus as a heretic who healed by “sorcery”. Obviously they didn’t believe in him or agree with his views, but they do record that he and his followers existed.
[/quote]

It is quite ironic that you should post this since God has made it perfectly clear that He will redeem Israel and He does have a remnant even to this day. Yes, the majority of the Jewish people still do not believe in their Messiah, but God is faithful and will not go back on His covenant to them.

Romans 11:2-5 God has not cast away his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the scripture says of Elijah? how he makes intercession to God against Israel, saying, Lord, they have killed your prophets, and dug down your altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. But what says the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
Revelation 7:2-10 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads. And I heard the number of them who were sealed: and there were sealed a hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel. Of the tribe of Judah were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Asher were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Naphtali were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasseh were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Zebulun were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand. After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and tribes, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God who sits upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

I’m not certain how your post pertains to the thread in general or my post in particular, Ruth101. Care to enlighten me?

[quote=Ghosty]I’m not certain how your post pertains to the thread in general or my post in particular, Ruth101. Care to enlighten me?
[/quote]

Evidently Ruth has found a piece of writing she likes, because she is pasting it everywhere in the forums, regardless of the topic.

Hey Ruth101

How exactly was your response to my post actually RELEVANT to my post?

Do you have anything against praying to Jesus in front of the Blessed Sacrament?

Ok, but is there any proof of Christ’s claim to divinity? (Not in New Testament, since that’s what we’re trying to prove here.)

[quote=Box Car Racer]Ok, but is there any proof of Christ’s claim to divinity? (Not in New Testament, since that’s what we’re trying to prove here.)
[/quote]

I think that Josephus, the Jewish historian from the first century, confirms that Jesus claimed to be God.

[quote=Box Car Racer]Ok, but is there any proof of Christ’s claim to divinity? (Not in New Testament, since that’s what we’re trying to prove here.)
[/quote]

does anybody have any links or books that deal with this?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.