Christs Peace techniques?

This year has been tremendous, it's not getting any easier, and it's been a case of doing spiritual battle in an almost constant manner, almost every single day. I've had brief glimpses of what is referenced along Christs peace, for the first time in my life, but those times never last very long at all. I now know what can be experienced, and scripture makes more sense to me in reference to it. I was told by someone that it cannot last with me due to the troubled past I've endured, and there is a great deal I still need to be healed from.

I'm kind of perplexed here, isn't there any mediations, prayers, or techniques that can be used to be able to instill this inner peace? I was even confronted today by my room mate, he mentioned that he's noticed I'm never really at peace, and it's not something I can just put on a happy face and pretend to be there when clearly it's not. I guess part of that assumption as well, I never smile, and I'm told I appear too serious, I have many reasons for not doing so, but that's just me, I can be happy, but still not show it, and smiling is something that is awkward for me to do, so I just don't bother.

I had this one week, where the feeling of peace was very strong, I was even starting to feel that joy which is spoken of, and trying to retrace my steps never worked, so I'm at a loss with this for now.

Go to adoration and meditate on Christ's passion. And maybe go to a beautiful place outdoors and just thank God for all the beauty He gave us to enjoy.

[quote="prodigalson12, post:1, topic:180229"]
This year has been tremendous, it's not getting any easier, and it's been a case of doing spiritual battle in an almost constant manner, almost every single day. I've had brief glimpses of what is referenced along Christs peace, for the first time in my life, but those times never last very long at all. I now know what can be experienced, and scripture makes more sense to me in reference to it. I was told by someone that it cannot last with me due to the troubled past I've endured, and there is a great deal I still need to be healed from.

I'm kind of perplexed here, isn't there any mediations, prayers, or techniques that can be used to be able to instill this inner peace? I was even confronted today by my room mate, he mentioned that he's noticed I'm never really at peace, and it's not something I can just put on a happy face and pretend to be there when clearly it's not. I guess part of that assumption as well, I never smile, and I'm told I appear too serious, I have many reasons for not doing so, but that's just me, I can be happy, but still not show it, and smiling is something that is awkward for me to do, so I just don't bother.

I had this one week, where the feeling of peace was very strong, I was even starting to feel that joy which is spoken of, and trying to retrace my steps never worked, so I'm at a loss with this for now.

[/quote]

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your journey so far. It's good to hear that you are making progress.

In reference to your questions - pretty much every one of the mystic doctors of the Church write of this problem. It relates to trying to hold on to the peace, the Love, the vision of Christ. Sometimes this feeling is strong and sometimes it feels weak, even absent. When the feeling is weak or absent, it is what is refered to by them as "the dark night".

This dark night is made worse by the fact that we have glimpsed a bit more of God's Love and then it was seemingly,"taken away".

The only advise I can offer, based on my reading and experience, is to persevere. God provides these "dry" spots in order to give us the opportunity to lean even more on Him.

I'm sure that many people will be able to give you suggestions on prayers, meditations, devotions etc, that might help, but my suggestion is to keep on doing what you have been. Try not to become to "intense" about it all. Just try to be prayerful but then just "rest in God", so that He can work on you in His time, which is not our time.

And by the way I know just what you are talking about in trying to figure out the best way. I have been trying to figure out the right balance of prayer and petition, faith and trust, hope and effort, so that God will heal my dear wife of Alzheimers Disease.

While I have grown quite abit, I have found that I get too intense about it. I try to do too much on my own (prayer and so forth). The best I can do is Ask God for healing, and accept His will in the matter. I suggest that this is what you must do as well. Ask God for peace, and then accept His will for you with joy and hope.

Peace
James

Peace that comes from techniques is not Christ’s peace.
Trying to grab at peace for peace sake is what new agers do. That is why they have meditation techniques for coming to peace, etc, etc. That kind of peace is the peace of this world. Fleeting and an illusion.

“Peace is not something you can force on anything or anyone… much less upon one’s own mind. It is like trying to quiet the ocean by pressing upon the waves. Sanity lies in somehow opening to the chaos, allowing anxiety, moving deeply into the tumult, diving into the waves, where underneath, within, peace simply is.” - Gerald May

Christ’s Peace comes with Christ. So stay close to Him and the peace will come in His time. Pray for the grace of acceptance -the humble acceptance of His will that allows you to be where you are at this point in time in your journey.

He is the Prince of Peace and our Blessed Mother is the Queen of Peace.

[quote="JRKH, post:3, topic:180229"]
Try not to become to "intense" about it all. Just try to be prayerful but then just "rest in God", so that He can work on you in His time, which is not our time.

[/quote]

Beautiful post! Great advice.

no there is no "technique" to make this happen. God moves in our hearts as he wills, in his time, and in a manner best suited to our needs at this moment, which only he knows and understands.

What is there are tried and true spiritual exercises: daily prayer, frequent recourse to Mass and the sacraments, especially of course communion and confession. Daily reading and meditation with sacred scripture, especially on the gospels, and most especially on the Passion--God's sacrifice on our behalf. Eucharistic adoration. Sacrifice and penance undertaken for the purpose of conquering inclinations to sin, in atonement for our offenses, and to bring ourselves to a state of humble obedient submission to God's will in all things. Active charity and good works for the Church and God's poor. Practice of forgiveness and of all the virtues in an active and intentional way.

First and foremost and prerequisite is of course turning away from sin, from habits of sin, from all people, places, situations and artifacts that lead to sin. And not to neglect physical and psychological help including seeking the help of professionals in those areas when needed.

those moments you did experience this peace were God's gift to you, granted when you needed it, an in manner whereby you recognized it for its true value. Thank him for it, and ask him to place peace in your heart. When it comes as a feeling--and the emotional response is not always necessary or even desireable--it comes as His work, not yours.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.