Christ's Second Coming

I just thought that I should make I thread with scriptures about Christ’s Second Coming. All Versus are from the KJV.

Every one shall see Christ. We know this from Luke 21:27. It says And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory."

Revelation 1:7 says "Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Matthew 24:30 says “And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.”

Matthew 24:42 says “Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.” and 1 Thessalonians 5:2 says"For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night" but this does not mean that Christ’s coming will be a secret or like a thief in the night. If you read a little further in 1 Thessalonians 5:4,5 you will see that this is no secret. Those scriptures state…

But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

I will be posting more on various subjects.

An appropriate thought for the last Sunday of the Church year. I suspect all of us can pray together, “Come, Lord Jesus.”

“Stay awake”.
Jon

I know this is going to be like wearing a hornets nest for a hat, but I do not accept the KJV. D-R for me. Sorry, no offense.

bump…

So, you’re going to refuse to answer anything unless people live up to your standards? I’m very glad Christ was nothing like you…

Since you have this posted in Non-Catholic Religions, I assume you want to discuss a non-Catholic perspective on these verses and/or how it differs from a Catholic perspective. Perhaps some more clarity or specific questions would help get the discussion going in the direction you intend. :slight_smile: “bump” doesn’t tell us what you are looking for.

I cannot find reference but I believe Jesus said "You will not see me again until you say ‘Holy (?) is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’ "

Is there such a verse in bibleNT? Then please present its exact words from KJV etc. That verse could be meaningful for this thread. i.e. second coming of Jesus.

You may have to ask the OP. He has given us some Biblical verses but has not said anything on what he meant by them and what he wanted to discuss.

Does he realize a man 1,500 years later tinkered with the Bible, took out several books that took hundreds of years to put together…and then expect us to use the source…

We don’t believe in the protestant version of the rapture…that was put out by a protestant minister 120 years ago, and he later refuted his own proposition, but the evangelicals took it up and believe it…or the part that Jesus is coming to rule the earth for a 1,000 years…which we as Catholics don’t believe.

Planten, nobody knows the day or hour except the Father…and really, you could look at the parts of the Gospel as pertaining to you!..

You don’t know the day or hour you will leave this earth, so for you it would be the literal end of your life. And life is very short, it goes so fast…so better be good and don’t be telling Christians the crucifixion of Our Lord never happened. It did.

And some day you will die–not because you were telling us Christ wasn’t crucified and died on the cross…no you won’t, it is just that you won’t know when.

Thanks, Reuben J, I found it myself. Here it is, without comments:

** Matthew 23:39
For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’ " **

Planten,

You can’t turn Christ’s coming on and off like a light switch…and you have to make sure everybody is using the same sources, and this fellow is not…He does not realize how the original Catholic bible in its whole form is not like the KJV that has deleted up to 7 books.

Catholicism understands the whole intent of Sacred Scripture within the Sacred Tradition of the Church going back to the Oral Tradition of Christ through His apostles.

We can’t talk if we don’t have the same references.

What Bible do you use?

=KathleenGee;6049304]Does he realize a man 1,500 years later tinkered with the Bible, took out several books that took hundreds of years to put together…and then expect us to use the source…

Who was that? BTW, the 1611 KJV had 73 books in it.

We don’t believe in the protestant version of the rapture…that was put out by a protestant minister 120 years ago, and he later refuted his own proposition, but the evangelicals took it up and believe it…or the part that Jesus is coming to rule the earth for a 1,000 years…which we as Catholics don’t believe.

What is “the Protestant version” of the rapture? Lutherans are amillenialists, just like Catholics.

Jon

EDIT: I don’t own a copy of the KJV.

We are not milleniumists…Christ is never coming back…When we have a new heaven and a new earth. yes…then He will rule over us…

About the Bible Luther took out…here are some…Maccabees and Sirach, Ecclesiastics, St. James in the NT…He changed one word of Scripture…a no no. correct me here…but I thought he deleted 7.

Err… WOW.

True.

There is no millenium where He will visibly rule over us…Where is the faith and hope in that???

There is no rapture until the final end.

It is our faith that saves us.

There is a priest stationed in Rome who has studied all the Catholic and Protestant scholars and writings regarding Apocalyptic topics…

What we are approaching is the of a time…you can find out about it in your local newspapers with the events at hand.

What we await is return of coming to Jesus in the hearts of mankind ending the great Apostasy as well, united again in one common faith…universal peace from within…faith, hope and charity – the cardinal virtues – intact. How various traditions play themselves out, that is God’s work.

St.Matthew 21:9 “…and those that followed cried out saying” Hossana to the son of David, Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord…"So you gotta check out just whom Jesus was talking to when He said these words…

By the way platen you still haven’t answered to this verse St.John10:18;)

From the Catechism of The Catholic Church:

*680 Christ the Lord already reigns through the Church, but all the things of this world are not yet subjected to him. The triumph of Christ’s kingdom will not come about without one last assault by the powers of evil. *

681 On Judgement Day at the end of the world, Christ will come in glory to achieve the definitive triumph of good over evil which, like the wheat and the tares, have grown up together in the course of history.

682 When he comes at the end of time to judge the living and the dead, the glorious Christ will reveal the secret disposition of hearts and will render to each man according to his works, and according to his acceptance or refusal of grace.

One thing, don’t let judgment in todays terms fool you. When God judges you, you are already guilty. Once you break the law. You are guilty which means you are judged and it came out to be guilty, because God’s Law is perfect. If God had to judge someone who has sinned and has not repented then that means his law is uncertain.

2 Peter 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

We see here that when the day of judgment comes, the unjust will be punished which means before judgment they are already guilty.

Jude 1:15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Here he is talking about judging and ungodliness. Also look at these verses…

Romans 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Romans 2:3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

So again, judgment in the Bible isn’t how we use it today. Once you are judged by God, you have broken the law and you are guilty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.