Christ's side pierced on a crucifix

My priest gave me a crucifix and I noticed it depicted Christ’s side pierced. I have never seen this and began looking around my church to see if any other crucifixes showed Jesus’ side pierced. No others did.

Basically there seems to be three ways to interpret Christ’s state of suffering depicted on a crucifix:

1. Actively suffering (what I think is most common and what I always thought).
  2. Having already died, not yet been pierced, and not yet been taken down (never heard this but I suppose it could be interpreted such).
  3. Having already died and been pierced by the guard but not taken down yet (first time I’ve seen this).

I have seen pictures depicting Christ’s side pierced usually to show the flow of blood and water, but never actual crucifixes.
Has anyone else ever seen a crucifix depicting Christ’s side pierced?

I’ve seen it on several occasions.

Funny this comes up today as I was studying this point for a catechism class. That wound in the side is a very significant symbol of the origin of the Church.

766 The Church is born primarily of Christ’s total self-giving for our salvation, anticipated in the institution of the Eucharist and fulfilled on the cross. "The origin and growth of the Church are symbolized by the blood and water which flowed from the open side of the crucified Jesus."171 "For it was from the side of Christ as he slept the sleep of death upon the cross that there came forth the 'wondrous sacrament of the whole Church.’"172 As Eve was formed from the sleeping Adam’s side, so the Church was born from the pierced heart of Christ hanging dead on the cross.173

Yes. Every Crucifix we have in the house depicts the lance wound in Our Lord’s side. On the smaller ones, where the corpus is metal (silver or gold tone) it’s harder to see; but it’s there. Perhaps you’ve just never noticed it before now?

And perhaps Our Lord caused you to notice it now… as a way of encouraging this meditation on His Passion? Just a thought.

God bless you, dear soul.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.