Christ's time on earth after resurrection

How much do we know and understand about the time Christ spent here after the resurrection?

Thanks so much!

Very little. Check out the ends of all four gospels and the beginning of Acts for virtually all that we know on the subject. Even basic facts are unclear, like whether his appearance was radically changed from what it had been before.

He is always present with us even after the Resurrection. His Bodily Ascension might have removed His Body from us but He is even more present into this other Body which is the Church. He gave His Presence fully within this Body. That is why Jesus said He will always be with us. Therefore He is always present.

We know from the Bible that Jesus ascended 10 days before Pentecost and that He was crucified during the Passover. So, that would mean he was on earth approximately 40 days before His ascension.

Matthew 28: quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/r/rsv/rsv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=4695432

**Mark 16: **quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/r/rsv/rsv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=4779721

**Luke 24: **quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/r/rsv/rsv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=4920742

John 20: quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/r/rsv/rsv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5025587
John 21: quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/r/rsv/rsv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5029823

Acts 1: quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/r/rsv/rsv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5033849

-Tim-

Thank you Tim,

After I posted the request for information I found a History Channel account of the 6 sightings of Christ during the 40 days. It was nice to be able to follow that up with the biblical references you provided.

To all the posters that contributed, I sincerely thank you.

Just be cautious about any History Channel programs on religion. History Channel is notoriously anti-Christian in general and anti-Catholic in particular.

agreed, I realized that a long time ago

By way of an observation the number 40 carries some resonance?

40 days and 40 nights fasting in the wilderness.
40 days between His Resurrection and Ascension in to heaven.

Does the number 40 carry any extra significance?

Yes, there’s 40s all over the place, Maybe someone with much more knowledge could elaborate

40 years of Israel’s Exodus.

It’s already been discussed here forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=419152

40 was a number of testing or of purification.

*For in seven days I will send rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living thing that I have made I will blot out from the face of the ground." (Genesis 7:4)

And Moses entered the cloud, and went up on the mountain. And Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights. (Exodus 24:18)

And the LORD’s anger was kindled against Israel, and he made them wander in the wilderness forty years, until all the generation that had done evil in the sight of the LORD was consumed. (Numbers 32:13)

So the land had rest forty years. (Judges 3:11)

**And the people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD gave them into the hand of the Philistines for forty years. **(Judges 13:1)

…for forty days in the wilderness, tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry. (Luke 4:2)

**To them he presented himself alive after his passion by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days, and speaking of the kingdom of God. *(Acts 1:3)

The number 40 appears many, many times in Scripture.

-Tim-

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.