Christ's washing of the feet observation

While meditating on the Gospel from the Evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper, a line caught my attention. “Whoever has bathed has no need except to have his feet washed,
for he is clean all over.” I was confused at first, so I went to the Agape Bible study. The author made a parallel with what Jesus says later on: “You are already clean because of the word I spoke to you. Remain in me.” So, those who believe in Christ are clean, but we have to stay with Christ. Our feet get dirty from the world, and we obviously want to avoid “walking away from Christ.” This also shows that we can lose our salvation, and when we accept Christ into our hearts, this is only the first step. No pun intended. Are my observations correct?

St. Augustin says it speaks of how while Baptism cleanses us, it does not keep us clean. Rather than going so far as the loss of salvation or need for purgatory, he points to the need each day for the continuing graces only God can provide. Augustine links this need to the petition in the Our Father that "we confess daily that we need to wash our feet, that is, to direct the ways of our spiritual steps, when we say, “Forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors.”’

Peace and all good!

Though I do feel a strong parallel to purgatory from the passage the op quotes.

Peace!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.