Chronic Wet Dreams

I’m having an serious problem. I’ve had 3 episodes of wet dreams this week and don’t know what to think about it. The last episode was just this afternoon. I came home from work and wanted to sleep and then wham; out of no where comes a dream and well you know. It felt like I was awake, but if I was awake I think I’d be beside myself with guilt rather than sitting here confused as memory of it fades away.

I honestly don’t know what triggered these dreams. The last few days I’ve been doing commentary on the importantance of investment in the amusement industry (hobby). I was sexually addicted for years but have recently celebrated 1 year clean. This just doesn’t seem normal. I try and shake any sexual thought away quickly. Do you think this is something I need to confess?

When I initially read your post my immediate thought was, “Wow. What a great first post. This dude has trolling down to a science.” But then I noticed that you have over 100 posts on CAF. Now I don’t know what to think. :shrug:

Your sleep right? And did not later consent? (to thoughts etc)?

Did not will it…etc or did not seek for such to happen or seek to cause it…

Something that happens when your asleep is usually not matter for confession. For one is not willing it. Not wanting it. Not choosing it. Sin involves the will.

If such happens and one wakes - simply turn your attention elsewhere and do not consent to anything.

Oh im not trolling. Im just out of answers. Its really embarassing.

Maybe you should take a step back , and look at the big picture,
There are great web sites which explains human sexuality ,
Why things happen,do some research of your own,
It’s very fulfilling to understand the chemical balance of the human mind,

Well, I’m sure you already realize that you’re not responsible or guilty for something that happens involuntarily… So why exactly are you seeking “answers” in the CAF? :confused:

hello- i lived 3 years with nuns and brothers- in catholic high school- boarding school- and no one was able to provide a solution - to this natural bioliogy situation-- the only way was to masterbate-- to "relieve your body of the sexual buildup .

get over feeling guilty-- the hundreds of boys – i lived with did-- you would think that this would be discussed more “openly” on this forum- as it is a normal - issue- with 90% of the people

Masturbation may have stopped the wet dreams, but it is a seriously grievous choice. While wet dreams are not sinful since they are not fully consensual, masturbation is seriously sinful according to the RCC.

To the OP: there is no reason to berate yourself for your dreams. You have no control over them! Perhaps your anxiety about them is actually increasing their frequency. Relax and know that God loves you and accepts you- just the way you are!****

You’re asleep; it is a biological reflex, that’s all. Nothing to confess.

go to a doctor about it, specially a catholic one that understands that you cant go to masturbation or other sinful activities, other than that don’t worry, dreams are dreams unless you seek them.

Why go to a doctor? Again, it is a perfectly normal biological reflex, especially in men who do not masturbate (and most especially in men who have quit masturbating).

Some relevant human biology. Your kidneys continually produce urine. The urine is stored in your bladder. When your bladder gets full, you need to empty it.

Your testes continually produce sperm. The sperm is stored in your epididymis. When your epididymis gets full you need to empty it. This process is under less conscious control than urination.

Your prostate continually produce prostate fluid. The sperm is stored in your seminal vesicles. When your seminal vesicles get full you need to empty them. This process is under less conscious control than urination.

It is no more a problem than is urination.

rossum

Not true. Semen gets absorbed into the body and leaves it via sweat. Many people don’t have WD’s at all. And anyway, you should be glad of WD’s. Better that than the m-word. But in any case, both activities are unneccesary really, though one of them is accidental.

Best wishes,
Padster

The wet dream is interesting to me, because as a single man who has given up masturbation for years now, I’ve had wet dreams from time to time, and I was really surprised by my priest’s reaction when I talked about it in Confession for the first time.

He came down on me like a ton of bricks, saying “It’s not a sin! Don’t even think that it is!” I had the feeling that he was really saying “don’t worry about - you’re lucky - be thankful for the relief”, which I frankly always was, because celibate life is a daily (and sometimes hourly) struggle, complete with plenty of physical pain. However, the priest’s take on it seemed like a bit of a cop-out to me, as I had often sensed an element of distinct consent in any wet dream that I had ever experienced.

So, forgive me if this is painfully obvious to the more theologically educated, but…

(1) If a guy masturbates, the sin is in fantasizing about the woman, willingly. I get that - he objectifies her, he is committing adultery with her in his heart. BTDT.

(2) But, if…a guy has a wet dream, then there’s no sin, because there’s no consent of the will possible while he’s asleep.

I think that both 1 & 2 are sinful, and here’s why: I’ve never had a wet dream that didn’t seem to be a real situation. Those dreams don’t seem like dreams at all - they seem to be completely real, physical sensations and all, and you don’t realize that it’s a dream until you wake up. And the usual reaction upon waking up is amazement that it wasn’t real, combined with physical relief (and sometimes pain) if you arrived at the predictable result.

So in regard to those dreams, how is it possible that there is no consent of the will? It’s not like a wet dream is self-inflicted mental rape: I can’t imagine a guy having a wet dream in which he is actively resisting the events that are unfolding so convincingly in his mind.

(3) Conversly - is a purely physical reaction (such as erection or spontaneous ejaculation) without accompanying sexual thoughts sinful at all? Contrary to what some may think, this is possible. Would that be sinful due to any physical reaction while awake being sinful, versus the same reaction while dreaming is sinless?

My own take is that any sexual thought with consent of the will is sinful, and this is why (I believe) wet dreams can be just as sinful as actions while awake, and which is why I still take those dreams to Confession.

In regard to point 3, (which some might see as ridiculous) I assume that such a thing is just as sinful as masturbation, because (whether there’s fantasy about another person or not), the key element is that wilful consent to any sexual stimulation not confined to the marriage bed is defacto seriously sinful.

Goodness me,:nerd:

Because when you are asleep, your conscious, educated mind is unavailable to exert some control. When you are asleep, various elements of your mind “play” with each other. The “events” that transpire in your dreams may reflect you own frailties, base desires, and so forth. That’s a consequence of being human.

But when you are awake, that same tussle may be happening, but now the conscious mind is in the game too, and the decisions it permits are all that matters.

I have WD too sometimes, ever since I chose to stop doing the m word. I never look forward to it or encourage it. That would be a sin. If it occours, I don’t feel good about it, or happy about it, because for some reason I’m more tempted for the following two days or so. I don’t know why.

I know why. It re-awakens the dormant beast. But it goes back to sleep again.

Stay strong, brother.

This is not the middle ages, wipe it off, take a shower and be you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.