Church approves of limited homosexual activity?

why does the Church (as confirmed in the CCC) teach that those with same-sex attraction are called to live “chaste” lives? shouldnt it be “celibate” lives? chaste implies that homosexual activity is permissable in moderation. or am i missing something?

Celibate means no marriage, chaste means no sex.

Since homosexuals cannot marry (period), and homosexual acts are mortally sinful, they are called to live in chastity (ie. not commit ANY homosexaul acts).

That clear it up?

[quote=UKcatholicGuy]why does the Church (as confirmed in the CCC) teach that those with same-sex attraction are called to live “chaste” lives? shouldnt it be “celibate” lives? chaste implies that homosexual activity is permissable in moderation. or am i missing something?
[/quote]

you need some education on the meaning of the virtue of chastity. start with Websters dictionary, then the catechism. Chastity means control and conformity of one’s sexuality ordered to one’s state in life. In marriage it means exercising the gift of sexual expression ordered to its purpose: unitive, procreative and pleasure, always open to the possibility of the supreme gift of children, in fidelity and perfect love and consideration for the other person. To all those unmarried, whether ordained, consecrated religious, single, not matter what their sexual orientation, it means no genital sexual activity at all. Ever. No disordered friendships or relationships that even flirt with the possibility of such activity.
Celibacy means “not married”. All those who are celibate, whether as part of a religious vocation or because of their current state in life, are called to chastity. All married persons are called to chastity. Chastity outside marriage implies abstinence, but it is much more, it is a positive virtue directed at ordering sexuality to the service of the kingdom and to growth in personal holiness.

[quote=puzzleannie]you need some education on the meaning of the virtue of chastity. start with Websters dictionary, then the catechism. Chastity means control and conformity of one’s sexuality ordered to one’s state in life. In marriage it means exercising the gift of sexual expression ordered to its purpose: unitive, procreative and pleasure, always open to the possibility of the supreme gift of children, in fidelity and perfect love and consideration for the other person. To all those unmarried, whether ordained, consecrated religious, single, not matter what their sexual orientation, it means no genital sexual activity at all. Ever. No disordered friendships or relationships that even flirt with the possibility of such activity.
Celibacy means “not married”. All those who are celibate, whether as part of a religious vocation or because of their current state in life, are called to chastity. All married persons are called to chastity. Chastity outside marriage implies abstinence, but it is much more, it is a positive virtue directed at ordering sexuality to the service of the kingdom and to growth in personal holiness.
[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up :thumbsup: . I don’t have my Catechism with me at work, though I probably should start bringing it with me for when call volume gets low.

I got a CD of the catechism from Ignatius press, now I just need another one so I have it at home and work. is it on-line anyplace, where you can cut and paste from it?

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/ccc.html
:thumbsup:

[quote=puzzleannie]I got a CD of the catechism from Ignatius press, now I just need another one so I have it at home and work. is it on-line anyplace, where you can cut and paste from it?
[/quote]

Sounds great, but I don’t have my own personal computer right now, and at my workplace and public library they usually frown on my using my own software.:o The CD catechism is something I will keep in mind for the future though.:thumbsup:

[quote=UKcatholicGuy]why does the Church (as confirmed in the CCC) teach that those with same-sex attraction are called to live “chaste” lives? shouldnt it be “celibate” lives? chaste implies that homosexual activity is permissable in moderation. or am i missing something?
[/quote]

Yeah… you’re missing something …and I don’t see how…
chastity is the call of ALL Christians, regardless of their respective temptations. Homosexuality is called “gravely disordered” but then so is heterosexual misconduct as well.

Here’s the dictionary definition:
celibacy

n 1: an unmarried status 2: abstaining from sexual relations (as because of religious vows) [syn: chastity, sexual abstention]

Chastity in NO way implies that any kind of sexual activity “is permissible in moderation” though a great many people would dearly like to believe that it does. Chastity (the never ending battle) reaches into every aspect of our daily lives and so Catholics cooperate with the superabundant grace of God in order to remain chaste in our speech, dress, behaviour, and even the control of our eyes. It all comes down to avoiding the nearer occasions of sin…
Pax vobiscum,

annie,

i appreciate your answering my question, as it truly did clear up my confusion. but i truly was just asking-- i thought chastity meant moderation in sexual activity. in NO WAY was i hoping that the church allowed homosexual activity. if it did, i would leave, no questions asked. but i know that cant happen. thats why i was confused and decided to ask. please work on replying in a more calm, charitable way. but again, i do thank you for answering my question.

God bless.

[/quote]

Chastity means keeping the sexual act within marriage, since there is not such thing as homosexual marriage and we are called to be chaste then homosexual should not have sex unless married.

[quote=Isidore_AK]Celibate means no marriage, chaste means no sex.

Since homosexuals cannot marry (period), and homosexual acts are mortally sinful, they are called to live in chastity (ie. not commit ANY homosexaul acts).

That clear it up?
[/quote]

Actually, that’s not true. Celibacy means no sex. Chastity is different. We are called to be chaste regardless of our station. If we are single, chastity in essence is celibacy (that’s kind of simplistic, but you get the point). Within marriage, chastity is keeping the married act the way God intended, unitive and procreative.

That clear it up?
[/quote]

Chaste means engaging in licit sexual activity. I can have sex with my wife four times a day (as long as we keep everything open to life) and still live in chastity, because sex between a sacramentally married man and women is licit and encouraged.

The Catholic definition of chastity is thus, morality with regard to sexual behavior.

[quote=Scott_Lafrance]Chaste means engaging in licit sexual activity. I can have sex with my wife four times a day (as long as we keep everything open to life) and still live in chastity, because sex between a sacramentally married man and women is licit and encouraged.

The Catholic definition of chastity is thus, morality with regard to sexual behavior.
[/quote]

Sorry, I meant chaste w/o marriage would mean no sex (as homosexuals cannot marry).

[quote=Isidore_AK]Sorry, I meant chaste w/o marriage would mean no sex (as homosexuals cannot marry).
[/quote]

Its okay, I just wanted to make sure you had the theologically correct understanding. Some people in the church still think that chastity means no sex, never.

That clear it up?
[/quote]

Isadore.

When was the last time you picked up a newspaper? Homosexuals CAN marry. Massachusetts, Netherlands, Canada… HELLO!!!

Oh man this is major excuse for many homosexuals, that if they find a partner and fall in love with this partner and make out and all such stuff in a steady relationship, minus and sexual contact, then it’s okay. They say as long as they stay “chaste” or celibate, they are commiting no sin. This is something I’ve had trouble getting around…

bump…

what does “bump” mean?

[quote=Church Militant]vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/ccc.html
:thumbsup:
[/quote]

I would not use these links as the first link (despite being on the Vatican website) contains the 1st edition of the Catechism (as is stated on the website: “CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH - Latin text copyright © Libreria Editrice Vaticana, Citta del Vaticano 1993” and as the 2nd link contains a catechism that is actually the 1st and 2nd mixed together.

You can use the 1st link to see what the 1st edition says, but the 2nd link should be avoided altogether for obvious reasons. Websites which contain the 2nd edition of the Catechism include:

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
kofc.org/publications/cis/catechism/index.cfm

Here are a list of the modifications made from the 1st to the 2nd edition:

scborromeo.org/ccc/updates.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.